Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #1401
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

If this is the "crappy framerate" ... I'm no longer afraid of buying. It looks fine to me.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #1402
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
Well I played some more last night, and the game is ok after hating it, The game is a bit hard to get used to and the pitching needs some work, I know it's knew but seems broken at times, I just want to say that the players faces are pretty damn horrid, I mean they don't look real at all, the player models are good but man the faces are all off. After playing more last night there is still way to many HR's in this game, it's like you give up on and the next batter automatically hits another off you know matter what, it's like they codded the game like this by mistake, I've seen a HR followed by a HR to many times now.
You don't think it's your pitching huh? j/p man...i can see you trying REAL hard to like this game FF...from your impressions...i will say that. i'm still givin' it shot this weekend. i might be minority here, but seriously DIG HR Derby or seeing how far i can launch one just for that reason alone...this game will be in MY library

Last edited by Motown; 03-05-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #1403
Pro

OVR: 7

After playing 4 more games on Pro last night (360):

- The sluggers will get theirs no matter what. Sure I struck Big Papi out twice, but he cranked 3 jacks, including golfing a change-up Vlad-style over the Monster. Aramis Ramirez also sliced a two-seamer down and away off the right field foul pole.

- Pitching didn't take too long to get, and I'm starting to ring more guys up. Bringing in your weaker relievers will definitely make you nervous. They can get knocked around.

- I can't hit for crap. The most I've scored in 4 games is 3 runs. Shutout twice. I hit a lot of pop flies...I'm not sure if this is being ahead of the ball or what.

- Josh Beckett is an animal. His curveball is knee-buckling.

- The Aerial cam is great. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

- Computer pitching: throw too many strikes...also anything near the black is almost always a strike..more variation there would be nice. However, the high strike is not nearly as high as in 2k7 (thankfully)

- Computer fielding: infielders get to everything. mark derosa looked like ozzie smith out there. I think changing AI infielder reaction speed might help in the sliders.

Overall, really enjoying it. And with word that the frame-rate issue seems to stem from cache mismanagment, I'm hoping a patch makes this game run smooth. Because it's damn fun.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #1404
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Doesn't sound like too much improved, just about everything on that list was in 2K7 sans the trading cards.
Hmm, seemed to hit this on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
yeah 60fps, smooth animations, no herky jerkey movements. Yeah your right it sounds like no improvements
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKermit
Yeah, other than inventing an entirely new pitching system, adding a brand-new fielding throw mechanic, and totally re-writing the hitting code, those guys did NOTHING to improve the gameplay! Lazy buggers.

You guys were saying?

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #1405
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
Well I played some more last night, and the game is ok after hating it, The game is a bit hard to get used to and the pitching needs some work, I know it's knew but seems broken at times, I just want to say that the players faces are pretty damn horrid, I mean they don't look real at all, the player models are good but man the faces are all off. After playing more last night there is still way to many HR's in this game, it's like you give up on and the next batter automatically hits another off you know matter what, it's like they codded the game like this by mistake, I've seen a HR followed by a HR to many times now.
I do assure you that the pitching mechanic is not at all broken. Eventually it will "click" on how it completely works. I haven't thrown a meatball in the last four games, so I can assure you. Trust me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #1406
Pro

OVR: 7

The a.i. is unbelievable. I just played a game on Pro and the cpu hit every strike for a double or triple. EVERY strike. Talk about realism. If you are a casual gamer, DO NOT buy this game. You will get frustrated beyond belief. The worst part is, they hit some pitches that were way out of the strike zone.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #1407
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott4171
Are you kidding me. NHL 08 Is the best Hockey game to ever grace the next gen consoles. Hands down. The best!
agreed

Overall I think MLB2k8 is a major major improvement but the framerate is nowhere near solid by any means, which is sad considering the graphics were actually downgraded this year.

The new pitching mechanic for me is a love hate relationship. I do love that I'm drawing walks and not pin pointing corners. I don't like that if I miss my timing by the slightest bit the AI has a habit of going yard with batters that shoudln't be jacking homers so easily.

Fielding/Throwing in one word. Awesome. So so so much better this year. Not having a PS3 I can deal with MLB 2k8. Its a much better game this year and thats a good thing. I do highly think its time though for Take2/2k to build a new engine from the ground up for their sports titles much like EA did with the NHL line. Its time they really make a totally next gen sports game I think.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #1408
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
If this is the "crappy framerate" ... I'm no longer afraid of buying. It looks fine to me.

Ya...that is how it has run for me. Honestly, it has been so smooth for me...I really can't explain why others are having issues.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »