Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #1257
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
while I 100% agree exactly. my brain is saying wtf. another year of "they have the perfect groundwork to do something great next year" i mean is this it? are we going to do this every year? i enjoy the game and unless some crazy game killing bug comes along ill play this game all baseball season. it just bothers me that after 1 day with the game regardless of how much i like it, im looking to next year already. lol

Well, Ben Brinkman said that it would take three years to get the game how it needs to be.2k9 should be really good.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #1258
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

Ok just played 2k8... the stuttering on the field is just horrible. 2k7 never had those problems.. I wonder how they messed that up.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #1259
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight

2K9 will prove just how serious 2K Sports is about making a baseball simulation.
Pretty much the kiss of death right there for any sports game: talking about next year's game the day this year's comes out.

It's why I never buy sports games the day they come out anymore. They are the only games I ever rent, because it doesn't matter which company it is or what their track record is, sports games these days are just such that there are enough bad apples that if you don't try before you buy you'll be angry a great deal of the time.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #1260
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS10029
I played The Show on PS2 and 2K7 on 360 last year. Guessing that The Show was just a graphical upgrade on the PS3. The games arent that far apart. Both have pros and cons.
I see no way you could come up with this. I HAVE both. They are quite far apart. At least imo.

Not that 2k8 is a bad game. But there are certain things that really detract from the experience for me.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #1261
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

First of all, I'm writing as someone who played over 400 games of 2K7. With slider tweaks and a couple of house rules, I honestly thought that game was great. That's also to say I was one of the people who actually believed that this game could be one of the best of all time - they just needed to fix a handful of things.

Well, I played for about five hours. My initial impressions are that this game has taken a GIANT step backwards.

1. The graphics, colors, lighting and textures are all subpar from what they were in 2K7. That's right, none of them are as good. Even the player models, which was one of the reasons I prefered this game to The Show in the first place, look pretty bad at times.

2. The framerate is bad. Maybe I'm just going crazy, but it, too, was better in 2K7, even the PS3 version! Even worse, like others have mentioned in the framerate thread, there's literally a 1-2 second freeze between virtually every cut scene. It's pretty goddamn brutal.

3. I'm not a fan of any of the "innovations." (Frankly, I don't even understand how the new picthing mechanism is supposed to be better than what was there last year. It's still easy to pitch, and if you "hit your spot," the ball still goes exactly where you aimed it. Wasn't that everyone's main complaint?) It's like they just wanted to implement the analog sticks; there doesn't seem to be any other reason for the new systems. I haven't noticed any enhancement they offer to gameplay whatsoever.

3b. And so get this: since I didn't like the new pitching, I switch back to payoff (from 2K7) and they've gone and made it SLOWER! I mean, honestly, WTF? It takes like five seconds to get a pitch off now. It's so bad, in fact, I went back to the other system!

So those are my main out-of-the-box beefs. It's not that the game blows, per se, but I'm having a very hard time seeing any improvement over 2K7.

6.5/10

Last edited by Village Idiot; 03-04-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #1262
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-47
Well, Ben Brinkman said that it would take three years to get the game how it needs to be.2k9 should be really good.
He also said this years game plays in 60 fps and never dips below 30 fps.

I do however, feel this game is a year away from really being a top notch game, and challenging The Show.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #1263
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lived
So, how's the bat sounds?? lol
Quote:
So how's the bat sounds
Quote:
So how's the bat sounds. Do they sound like they're changed
How about you quit asking? You have asked the same question at least 3 or 4 times in this thread already. How many more times do you need it answered, especially when you are supposedly going to be able to see for yourself tomorrow?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #1264
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

As I posted in the Frame Rate Thread:

Quote:
We'll guys I have basically CONFIRMED the problem is what I posted before. I took of my 360 HARD DRIVE to see if that would help & it did. The Choppiness & Studdering is basically non-existent. The games plays very fluid. The pause between cut-scenes is still there (looks like that's how it's programmed) but everything else is fine..

Here's hoping a fix will be upon us sooner than later

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »