Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #1185
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers15
Just got it from my local Gamestop, played an Indians-Tigers game.

Fielding is improved, presentation and graphics are basically the same though.

I like the new pitching engine, I think it's harder to pinpoint pitches (which is a good thing for sim baseball).

The hitting seems a bit easier, and I noticed that homers seem to be down (granted, I only played 4 innings because I was getting worked over, but still).

I also noticed that you can control all CPU rosters in franchise mode (a definite thumbs up).

Just a normal gamer's quick thoughts.
Gotigers, does this mean you can call up and send down CPU players?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #1186
Rookie

OVR: 6

XBOX 360

Only played two games.

Game does stutter some, but only during batter intros every once in awhile or after a throw in the field. DOES NOT KILL GAME. Never happened while swinging or pitching.

Graphics do seem somewhat bland. On par w/ last year's, possibly worse. Grass was the worst part IMO.

Did not use swing stick as I was playing with a friend and didn't want to fool with it.

The new pitching seems like it will be fun. Struggled with it though, but hadn't watch any tutorials.

Games were shootouts in the 16-17 per team range, but we were on pro and neither of us could pitch so a lot of pitches were meatballs. Loved fielding.

Feel free to PM with questions, I'll answer a few if I got an answer b/c I plan on cutting back on this particular forum until things calm down.

Seems like it will be a good game. Slightly better than last years.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #1187
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Man, I want to play this game so freakin' bad!!!!

I don't know when my repaired 360 will arrive.

I got The Show for the PS3 though!Man, the game would be perfect if they added swing stick and worked on signature batting stances and pitcher windups/delivers.K-Rod's is WAY off!Even Ryan Howards stance is wrong!THE FREAKIN' COVER BOY!!!

Anways, keep up the impressions!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #1188
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalah
I'm cracking guys, I'm really cracking.

I'm sick of this game. I've tried my hardest to like it, but there are just too many flaws. I can't believe 2K is the only option for 360 owners, thanks a lot Take Two.

This is the third year I've had to deal with a sub-bar baseball game. Not having a good baseball game to play is the only reason I regret owning a 360. I can't believe this. The game's overall presentation is so discombobulated. I don't understand why there has to be a dive "button" rather than using the right analog stick. Batting is just plain unfair--is it possible to hit a ground ball or to pull or push a ball without aiming?

Just like NHL2K8, MLB2K8 turned into a mess of ideas executed with no precision at all. I feel like I'm playing a work-in-progress. I can't believe we're paying 60 bucks for audio from 2005.

As baseball fans, we NEED EA to buyout Take-Two. Brinkman has not done enough. Either that or Blue Castle should take-over.

I'm really frustrated guys. I'm not a *****, I've just had enough of being screwed out of good game.
Couldn't agree more. I wish I didn't have the same sentiment, but this game just feels plain unfinished. I don't mind the trigger based dives, but on the whole I agree with all that you wrote.
The framerate problems with batter walkups and other moments just plain sap the life from this game, and the stuttery throwing of balls is just silly. I really wish I had a PS3 today... and that's the first time I've ever thought that...

The unexamined life is not worth living...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #1189
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
The pitching is cool but very boring IMO
Just curious, if 2K8's pitching is boring then how do you stay awake through The Show which still has the same meter for years or simply pressing a button and "let ratings do the work"?

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #1190
Rookie

OVR: 4

I am impressed. The new pitching mechanic works really well. Good hitters will crush mistakes, decent ones will hit line drives. Takes a good game to get used to, but works very well once you get used to it.

Pitches move more realistically, but still move to the plate quickly. If you are late on everything, try practiceing with pitch speed set to 40 instead of 50, it helps a bit at first.

The new throwing mechanic on the field works really well. Throw a high ball to Giambi and watch what happens. Bad fielders will get exposed this year.

Little things will get noticed as you play. If a go-ahead/tieing run crosses home, he might do a fist pump, for instance. I had Matsui hit a go-ahead 2-run HR in the 8th, and he promptly had a curtain call.

I already had a takeout slide knock a 2nd basemen sensless, and stop a few dp oppertunities.

To be sure, there are a few bugs. For instance, i once heard Morgan say "Rivera has only given up 40 HR balls dating back to the 2005 season." A lot of the commentary is recycled. Also, there is a stutter between batters/innings. Nothing game-breaking though.

Franchise is mostly the same, but with full minors, has an extra level of depth. The ability to track how players progress year by year is a nice touch too.

EDIT

A few other points: there are many more foul balls this year, which really shows off how far the hitting engine has progressd. In a sample of 5 games, i also had routhly an even split between groundballs, linedrives, and flyballs.

EDIT 2

Average score over my 5 sample games (on Pro difficulty for now) was 6-5; with one shootout (15-12 i believe) and a 1-0 game excluded.

I'd give the game an 8.0 for overall package, with commentary and presentation loweing the score. Based on gameplay alone, I'd give the game a solid 8.5. If you are willing to forgive the games faults, you will have a good time with it. If you don't, I can see why some people will call the game a refurbashed 2k7.

Last edited by gamerk2; 03-04-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #1191
Rookie

tomahawk77's Arena

OVR: 2

I played a game.

it is pretty much the same game as last year except they added quirky new pitching and fielding controls.

the graphics haven't been changed in 3 years.

hopefully it grows on me after some more games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #1192
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Can anyone tell me if Angels second baseman Howie Kendrick has his signature batting stance?PLEASE!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »