Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #1105
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Gameplay wise I would have to say I like the fielding more in 2K8. Love the aerial cam. The hitting is a toss up for me. Pitching I like 2K8.
That's exactly what excites me about this game so much. With the new pitching and fielding interfaces, you will have to be focused during every pitch and for every ball that's put into play. It's not so "mindless", and I think that's awesome.

I also love the fact that if you're in the outfield and the outfielder turns his head to not look at the ball, the ball shadow disappears until he's looking at the ball again. That's such a subtle thing, but it's a wonderful feature!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #1106
Rookie

OVR: 2

I turned off all the sound in the menu. So the game is totally silent. This is PS3.. It does help framerate, still some choppiness notable, but certainly helps. Unfortunately there is no sound, lol.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #1107
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDog10
Haha, yeah there's not much I can do about that tonight She is about as low-maintenance as they come, but blowing her off to play a video game probably wouldn't sit very well with her. Don't worry though, I already let her know that Friday and Saturday a controller will be glued to my hand, and she's okay with that.
LOL, I have been preparing my wife for the last 2 weeks!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #1108
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

This game, like my dress shoes, needs a fine coat of polish...because it's not pretty at all.

...but that doesn't mean it ISN'T a good game. It's just a very sloppy one. Here's why:

-Lighting always seems to flicker in late-day, overcast or evening games for a few seconds at a time.

-Hardball Central always starts too late and cuts off before Steve/Jeannie can finish. I haven't heard a complete intro yet.

-Stuttering before every replay from earlier in the game, which often stops the 2K Sports theme from playing or Miller/Morgan from talking (they got this right last year!).

-Framerate in the outfield. For instance, I was making a routine grab with Vernon Wells and he stopped, mid-stride, for about one second before making the grab. If I didn't make that grab, I'd throw a "game-killer" out.

-Again, in the outfield, I was lining up for another routine grab with Vernon Wells but ended up doing some kind of spin move to make the catch...although I didn't move the analog stick to move him. The ball indicator was right over my head. I just wish I could've saved that replay, it was that strange.

I think a patch will fix a lot of these issues but I think the game didn't receive as much testing as it should've. I guess I'm not alone in saying 2K9 has to be this series' moment of truth...if there even is a 2K9.

...come to think of it, worrying about the future of the 2K series is exactly like worrying about the future of Buffalo's sports teams...

(I didn't read over the whole post so I'm not sure if any or all of these issues were already mentioned).

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm liking this game. Warts and all...I just want to find obvious positivity.

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 03-04-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #1109
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
I had one opportunity to hit a sac fly and I did. Don't know if it was luck or my mad skillz.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #1110
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDog10
That's exactly what excites me about this game so much. With the new pitching and fielding interfaces, you will have to be focused during every pitch and for every ball that's put into play. It's not so "mindless", and I think that's awesome.

I also love the fact that if you're in the outfield and the outfielder turns his head to not look at the ball, the ball shadow disappears until he's looking at the ball again. That's such a subtle thing, but it's a wonderful feature!
Yeah I had a guy smash a ball to deep right, I took off running towards the wall and there was no marker, i turned my guy around and there it was and he went into a back pedal animation caught the ball and went back first into the wall. It was pretty sweet.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #1111
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarsnyy
I turned off all the sound in the menu. So the game is totally silent. This is PS3.. It does help framerate, still some choppiness notable, but certainly helps. Unfortunately there is no sound, lol.
Interesting. Can you see if playing in a minor league stadium with mlb teams makes a difference
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #1112
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarsnyy
Turn on your favorite music and listen to some music. I do that with just about EVERY single video game i played. Only game i ever listened to the sound was Bioshock.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »