Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #873
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

This game is crap. 2k has really dropped the ball recently with their poor nba and college hoops games and now this. Time to get a ps3 so I can get a real baseball game.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #874
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeem
You can add custom music for solo home runs, 2 run hrs, 3 run hrs, grand slams, end of inning, end of game to name a few, even bringing in a pitcher
Yes kiz5 told me this but, noone has actually put there own music in and tried it out.It could be where you can only use the songs from the games soundtrack.That would suck!!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #875
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornie
So wait... Let me try and get everything straight here... The game stutters and flutters like crazy on the PS3 and is only minimal on the 360? People are writing things that completely contradict each-other and no one is stating what system they are playing on.
I played it on the PS3 and it was downright bad( FPS) the gameplay seemed like a lot of fun, and I absolutely fell in love with the aerial cam, but the stuttering almost ...almost made it unplayable. Maybe other guys with the PS3 version are not experiencing this, but I sure in the hell did.
I now have the 360 version, just haven't played it yet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #876
Rookie

OVR: 6

***360 Version on a 720p native HDTV***
I've only played one game so far (Red Sox), and got hammered by the Mariners 34-1! They hit like 9 home runs- I just couldn't figure the pitching mechanic out until about the 6th inning or so... and even then I gave up a few mistake homeruns.
Overall my impressions are: (after one game mind you)

-framerate seems very similar to lst year- very "hiccuppy" on throws during fielding, and that stutter before camera changes is still there. I didn't however, notice any framerate issues during pitching or hitting.
-graphics seem to have taken a slight step back. I see very little use of anti-aliasing, and the lighting has regressed big time IMO.
-Fenway needs a graphical upgrade, especially the grass.
-that depth of field blur has either got to go or be toned down- it makes the game feel cartoony or something...
-new pitching is very tough to "wrap your head around", and will take lots of time to get right
-the fielding throwing mechanic is sweet- feels just right.
-be careful tapping "a" for baserunner speed, as it will either make him begin to round 1st or send him all the way home hahaha.
-saw a collision b/w Varitek and Beckett after Tek fielded a bunt out in front of the plate- heard Miller say "oh and there's a collision".
-animations look improved overall, it feels "like baseball".
-throws feel more "weighted" and lifelike.
-saw PLENTY of foul balls- on all sorts of pitches and swings.
-hitting mechanic is nice, but I had trouble getting the timing down.
-bat sounds seem slightly improved. I heard new sounds but seemed to be relegated to foul balls only. That swat-crack sound is still there and still prominent I believe.
-haven't tried custom music, but it seems to be legit.
-the crowd noise isn't great, but they aren't dead either.
-there's some new "special moment" overlays such as "winning probability" (Majestic) and "performer of the game" (Chevy) which was cool to see.
-commentary is basically the same. I guess I just don't like these guys, they just don't get me excited or informed (ie. Morgan said, "there's a runner on 2nd with 1 out, a strike out won't help you here..." like a freakin' strikeout is ever a good thing lol).

I think this game will grown on me... I am envious of "that other game" but will have to dig in with 2K8 to see how it pans out...
Hope this helps you guys out there...

The unexamined life is not worth living...

Last edited by A.M. Son; 03-04-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: omission, and version note
Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #877
Rookie

OVR: 2

The Bigs? Did I miss something? I downloaded that demo last week and the graphics were awful. Was the retail version a lot better or something?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #878
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Just an FYI.

Some eyes are more sensitive to frame rate issues than others. So, basically, your eyes refresh at different rates than other people's eyes.

Last year i had no idea people thought there was a slowdown, so it think ill be allright cause my eyes are crappy and are reminicent of a VooDoo 2 video card.

Sweeeeeet.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #879
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-47
Yes kiz5 told me this but, noone has actually put there own music in and tried it out.It could be where you can only use the songs from the games soundtrack.That would suck!!!!!
you CAN use your own music, I have done this, a warning though. I would not try it if you have a wireless adapter for your 360 and your music resides on your computer. The game becomes unplayable as it takes a while to load the music, i would recommend ripping the music to your hard drive.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #880
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

This framerate is ridiculous, and I seriously can't look at these graphics. I seriously am taking it back, claiming it doesn't work.

I am not getting robbed of $60 on this choice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »