Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #857
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Just to let people know, I bought the PS3 version...and it was a stuttering mess.

I loved how it played, but the framerate was bad, and it only supports 720p, nothing else.....someone said it was developed in 1080i, well it may have been developed in it, but it wasn't released in it. Overall a fun game, and thank god the Gamestop guy let me bring it back and exchange it for a 360 version.

Not knocking the game, I think I am going to love the game as it seems to be a lot of fun, but PS3 buyers beware

At least for me........I am not trying to piss off any other PS3 owners, just wanted to give some people the heads up on what I was experiencing.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #858
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier4974
Well it only took me 2 innings to form my initial and final impression:

THIS GAME IS TRASH!!!

The graphics are a HUUUUUUUUUGE downgrade from last year!!! Started @ 1080i and then went to 720p - garbage at both settings!!! I feel like I'm playing a PS1 game It's not my TV because everything else I have looks fantastic. This game is bull****!!!!

Stutters are as bad as reported, actually worse than reported!!!

Don't believe me?? Rent it and see for yourself. Worse video game purchase I have ever made. Last 2K baseball game that I will ever a buy....what a shame!!! So glad I bought the PS3 and the "other game".

Save the "fanboy" comments because I am about as unbiased as they come.

No wonder 2K kept this game under wraps and delayed their demo!!! I don't buy the whole MS delay for 1 second.................UGGGGHHHH, I feel like I need to throw up
Your an idiot.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #859
MVP

Hoos's Arena

OVR: 21

Oh yeah, Hello EBAY !!!

PSN: hoos4974
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #860
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC_Pete
One game impression:

Setup:
Hitachi 51 RP-HDTV (1080i) Component + digital audio
All-Star
I heard 1080i makes the framerates bad.720p is overall better...Especially for gaming!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #861
MVP

OVR: 9

Well, two games so far, and i love the game. I LOVE the fact that as a pitcher, if you mess up the pitch, you have a chance to get abused. I also the love the fact that it is not a sure thing that a meatball will get battered for a homerun. So you know you messed up the pitch as soon as you release it (just like in real life) and you just cringe waiting to see if it get whalloped (just like real life). Mini Review after two games:

NY Yankees 17
Boston 5

My very first game, I go all in with no tutorial, All Star, and turn all of the stuff that I do not want to see during the broadcast. No strike zone, no hitting overlay, no ball trail, no nothing. I am hitting with the Wide-Zoom setting, and pitching behind the pitcher camera. Pitching is awesome. Seriously. You are working to concentrate on making good pitches, but you have to be VERY careful of your timing. I struck out the side with Dice-K in the second inning, and was making great pitches. I love the catcher calling the pitches and location for me, but I can shake him off and reposition the spot with the A button. As you can tell from the score, I faltered horribly in the late innings, but actually had a nice 2-1 lead going into the 5th. Giambi went on a tear and ended up hitting two bombs, but honestly, they were my fault for terrible pitches. Timlin got shellacked, but i left him out there to mess with the camera and stuff. Hitting feels good. The manual is wrong. There is no pull back and let go. You push forward, and it feels like it needs to. The CPU threw a lot of strikes it seems, either that or I was so ramped up to try and hit the ball, I swung too much. Either way, I got torn up bad from the 6th inning on. I LOVE the pitching. There is an almost invisible green circle that shrinks as you power up the pitch. I finally realized that if you want to ramp one up and go for some extra uumph, the accuracy area is diminished. Hmm... that makes sense. But if you are trying to paint that outer edge, you can take something off the speed, and enjoy a little more forgiving control. Effing awesome. Pitching is great, just great, I just tried to throw everything too hard to begin with, and I suck at it. Manny and Papi go big fly back to back, and you guys have to see the animations for the homeruns. Perfect. manny's hands fly up... very nice.

Second game. Another tweak and try kind of game, and I get annialated by Cleveland 25-6. I got Youk's card with a Monsta shot in the 8th, but the game was all but over by then. I pitched Beckett in this one, and there is HUGE difference between Beckett and Timlin. Plus, with Dice-K in the wind up, you have to wait for his motion as the circles for power get bigger. Beck;s motion is faster, so they mimicked the pitcher's motion with the timing of the circles. Great job. Umpires had totally different strike zones for the two games. One guy gave me the outside while the other guy would give low strike. Very nicely done.

Presentation is not the turd that everyone somehow made it to be. I played on the Broadcast setting, and could still hear the crowd cheer when they should have, and they even yelled at my guys when we were getting crushed. The baserunning speed seems to be very good out of the box, and guys that should get doubles were getting them. Do NOT pitch to Travis Hafner or Victor Martinez if you have any hope of seeing the balls again. Seriously, these guys can crush it, and you will need to be very smart.

I know this is all over the place, but i am typing as i think of stuff. So far, two games under my belt, i got crushed, and i am itching for more pitching.

Heading to Yankee Stadium right now for another Red Sox-yanks matchup. And i am about to unleash Wakefield's knuckle ball on the Yankee linup. More to come later, but so far, I really like it.

SYF
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #862
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
Just to let people know, I bought the PS3 version...and it was a stuttering mess.

I loved how it played, but the framerate was bad, and it only supports 720p, nothing else.....someone said it was developed in 1080i, well it may have been developed in it, but it wasn't released in it. Overall a fun game, and thank god the Gamestop guy let me bring it back and exchange it for a 360 version.

Not knocking the game, I think I am going to love the game as it seems to be a lot of fun, but PS3 buyers beware

At least for me........I am not trying to piss off any other PS3 owners, just wanted to give some people the heads up on what I was experiencing.
Is the 360 version NOT stuttering like the PS3?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #863
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13

Here are my thoughts after one game on 360. Mind you, this is only a quick impression after a single game with the default settings as they are when you turn the game on. Also, I can't compare to last years game as I never bought it. And I apologize if I hit on points that have been beaten to death. I haven't had time to comb through the 40 plus pages that have been added to this thread since I last looked this morning:

-Pitching interface is pretty cool. It takes some getting used to but I like it. I got to 3 ball counts but never walked anybody. Mostly I went with what the catcher called. A couple odd things I noticed...I was the Yankees with Wang, and Posada was calling for a lot of sinkers way up in the zone. Not realistic. Of course you don't have to follow his calls but I thought that was curious. I also had some trouble throwing pitches with similar gestures. For example, the fastball and cutter are very similar. With Mo I would try to throw a cutter and threw a fastball instead several times. Again, this was my first game so maybe I'll get better.

-I'll have to wait and see on hitting. I pretty much suck at it right now. The right analog thing is new to me for hitting. I had one homer from Posada, a double, and a few singles. As I get better at hitting I'll be able to judge more. Sorry, not much help on that I know. I didn't draw any walks and got some real borderline pitches called for strikes against me. We'll have to see if some other umps have a tighter strike zone. I also probably swung at way too much garbage since it was my first game.

-Fielding is cool. I'll admit I did screw up and try to throw with the buttons a couple times, resulting in easy singles for my opponent. What can I say, habits are hard to break. And one time after I tried to press B to throw to first I panicked and overthrew with Jeter and the ball went sailing past first..so pretty neat touch there. I also had an error which was no fault of mine. A hard bouncer took a hop and ate up A-Rod. So I'd say based on the very small sample size of one game the fielding is pretty spot on for me...however:

-Computer fielding. I don't know if it's just this one game but they were beyond flawless. There were 5 highlight reel plays on the infield with diving stops where the fielder got up and threw my guy out. So far I'm a little worried that the cpu will make all the plays...but time will tell on that. I wonder if anybody else who has the game yet has seen this.

-Presentation is ho-hum as everybody expected. No surprises there.

-Graphics are also average at best, and I have noticed a lot of the stuttering that I've seen talked about here. Mainly it seems to be on batter walk ups and in-between plays. I haven't really noticed any problems during actual game play so I guess that's not a killer for me. Still though, with the great graphics in The Bigs I expected more. Like maybe a less over the top graphical version of The Bigs where not everybody was jacked up and muscular. The facial models are also pretty bad in this game IMHO.

We'll have to see how this one turns out for me with repeated plays. It's too soon to tell now, but I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents after finally getting to play this game.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #864
Pro

OVR: 7

The more I play it, the more I like it. The fielding is great, the framerate is good enough, and no way the graphics are bad. The animations are much improved as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »