Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #849
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

One game impression:

Setup:
Hitachi 51 RP-HDTV (1080i) Component + digital audio
All-Star

First, there is stuttering after hitting the ball and the ball coming in from the outfield into the infield. Using Aerial view helps reduce the amount which tells me it has to do with the amount of graphics trying to be displayed in the infield (due to the amount of players possibly?). It's a pain but I doubt there will be a patch fix but who knows, they made CHoops 2k8 awesome with a patch.

Pitching is a lot of fun. I have no clue what I was doing until I realized you go in the first direction and then abruptly to the second direction and release when the zone is in the green area. I think I was too excited and didn't read it the first time. Fielding is also great with the analog stick. The way the bar is pointing determines how on point the throw is. I've already pulled my 2nd baseman off the bag allowing a double which wouldn't normally be a double.

The addition of these features really helps mimic "human error" in the game. Instead of probability logic, throwing now is dependent on how accurate your throws are by using the analog stick. Pitching is even more sensitive as it takes into account how precise you are with the action of the pitch.

The hit stick is going to take more to get used to. The nice thing is that there is an addition in that the game tells you when you step too early which has really helped with my timing. If you want to take the pitch outside you swing to that direction and pull to the other direction. Depending on how far inside or outside you swing will determine where the ball goes.

Overall it's a very fun game right now, and I think once I get the hang of the throwing/batting functions it'll be great. The only issue right now that is holding it back is the stuttering but if you can look past the occasional stutter I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #850
Rookie

OVR: 6

HOw's the crowd atmosphere. Loud at right times etc.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #851
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Wow, framerate and strike zones were my two main concerns with this game. I just sat down and read every post in this thread for the last 80 minutes, and I can say with certainty that this has guaranteed a future PS3 purchase for me. Now I can't say for certain that I will be getting The Show this year, but I want to keep playing Power Pros and I want some options for next year.

I will probably try and rent this game this weekend, but I'm expecting the worst (when it comes to some visual things mostly). I'll admit that I'm a graphics whore, and so far the lighting changes have already left me disappointed in the videos and screenshots that I have seen.

Let's just hope that most all gameplay issues are resolved now, so they can prioritize visuals and presentation for 2K9. If not, then it will be The Show for me, without question.

It boggles my mind to see they took a step backward this year in some departments.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #852
Rookie

OVR: 3

not loud enough
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #853
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

How are the custom soundtracks?Can you use your own music for home runs and other stadium releated sounds?

I've only heard someone add it to batter walk up music...And that was the dude here on OS who has the beta copy.

Someone needs to truely confirm this by actually adding there own songs to be played when home runs are hit,walks are drawn etc!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #854
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lived
HOw's the crowd atmosphere. Loud at right times etc.
Hardly ever loud.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #855
MVP

Hoos's Arena

OVR: 21

Well it only took me 2 innings to form my initial and final impression:

THIS GAME IS TRASH!!!

The graphics are a HUUUUUUUUUGE downgrade from last year!!! Started @ 1080i and then went to 720p - garbage at both settings!!! I feel like I'm playing a PS1 game It's not my TV because everything else I have looks fantastic. This game is bull****!!!!

Stutters are as bad as reported, actually worse than reported!!!

Don't believe me?? Rent it and see for yourself. Worse video game purchase I have ever made. Last 2K baseball game that I will ever a buy....what a shame!!! So glad I bought the PS3 and the "other game".

Save the "fanboy" comments because I am about as unbiased as they come.

No wonder 2K kept this game under wraps and delayed their demo!!! I don't buy the whole MS delay for 1 second.................UGGGGHHHH, I feel like I need to throw up

PSN: hoos4974
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #856
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-47
How are the custom soundtracks?Can you use your own music for home runs and other stadium releated sounds?

I've only heard someone add it to batter walk up music...And that was the dude here on OS who has the beta copy.

Someone needs to truely confirm this by actually adding there own songs to be played when home runs are hit,walks are drawn etc!
You can add custom music for solo home runs, 2 run hrs, 3 run hrs, grand slams, end of inning, end of game to name a few, even bringing in a pitcher

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »