Home

Why don't people (especially Americans) like hockey?

This is a discussion on Why don't people (especially Americans) like hockey? within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Pro

indcolts18288's Arena

OVR: 2
Why don't people (especially Americans) like hockey?

Long time Hawks fan here and after football, hockey is my favorite sport. I know its more popular currently but its still fairly rare. I have my theories but I want to hear some of yours.
Blackhawks fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Why don't people (especially Americans) like hockey?

It's not really a complicated issue. It is a regional sport. I was born in Connecticut and live in Massachusetts. We grew up on the ponds in the winter. We understand the game. Same as all of Canada, the Northeast in general and places like Wisconsin, Minnesota etc. If you grow up in Texas, Alabama etc you just dont really get hockey. They can be casual fans most of them just dont get or care about the game.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Pro

DaRK's Arena

OVR: 0

There are plenty of hockey fans here in Jersey. The sad part is, there are a lot of Ranger/Islanders fans (yet born and raised in Jersey...??).

Hockey is the only sport I can watch and be excited to watch, but I do play it so that might be what peaks my interest in it. Other sports put me to sleep; I don't get the obsession Americans have with football, which literally puts me to sleep and not hockey.
The reason I always root for multiple teams is because if one team doesn't make the playoffs or gets eliminated, I loose interest in the sport until next season if my team gets eliminated early. It keeps things interesting if you still have a team you like in the playoffs...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Rookie

Storm12's Arena

OVR: 12
Wisconsin is a hockey hotspot? I live there and I'm not sure if the UW is a powerhouse in hockey... But yeah, I have been to Admirals games and they were great fun. I'm sure most of the northern US knows and has some sorta hockey heritage though.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Pro

Dougie_G_93's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm12
Wisconsin is a hockey hotspot? I live there and I'm not sure if the UW is a powerhouse in hockey... But yeah, I have been to Admirals games and they were great fun. I'm sure most of the northern US knows and has some sorta hockey heritage though.
Seriously?? The hockey program at Wisconsin is enormous. Maybe you don't pay attention but the Badgers are responsible for a ton of players in the nhl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't think you can say that "Americans" don't like hockey, as there are 23 NHL teams, and countless other pro hockey teams all over the country.

Do they like it as much as Canadians? No, but its our (winter) national sport. I am sure it comes down to what you are brought up watching, and what you know.

I, for the life of me can not understand how people can watch a car drive in circles for 5 straight hours, but NASCAR is super popular.

Could I ever learn to like NASCAR, prob not, just like it would be tough to get someone from deep in the south to start watching hockey.

For the Stereotypical 'American' that you speak of, my theory is that hockey just moves too fast for them. If they like Baseball, or Football, those are two sports that have 5-10 seconds of action, then 2-3 min breaks.

Hockey is always moving, always has something happening. Not saying one is better than the other, but if you are used to watching something that has stop and start action, watching non stop action may bother you.

Possibly the same reason that watching football may bore you. Its prob the lack of consistent action that bugs you, I know that's why I don't watch the NFL.

In the end, its just different strokes for different folks. But always keep in mind, football is number 1 because of gambling, and baseball is right behind it because of gambling.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 4

hockey is low scoring like another sport that doesn't catch on in america soccer go figure, im from a suburb of detroit, and yes we all played pond hockey growing up, and roller hockey, but most of us like basketball and football more, my theory low scoring is the problem... also i disagree about hockey being americas winter sport, basketball is
Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I'm a rare breed. I was born and raised (and still live) in Western Kentucky. I'm a huge Blackhawks and hockey fan. Its my favorite sport. I've converted a few people but for the most part people don't really follow it. I don't know why.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »