Home

The Best Offense in NFL History? (My Project: Part Two)

This is a discussion on The Best Offense in NFL History? (My Project: Part Two) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
The Best Offense in NFL History? (My Project: Part Two)

About a month ago I created a statistical system to look at the greatest defense in NFL history. It basically looks at how much better the team was in comparison to their peers, and also what they managed to accomplished. I was given a lot of feedback from the community which I appreciate tremendously. I used ideas given forth to help make the system more respectable. Of course, there will always be flaws, but I do agree that stats never lie.

Best Defense in NFL History? (My Project)

Going into my second project, I honestly had less idea of who I would assume would be the top teams. Offense is so individualized that you hear more about players than teams as opposed to a defensive unit. I had a feeling modern teams would dominate... but hopefully in the end I'd have a better idea about all the teams.

The Formula
Spoiler

Honorable Mentions

25. 1996 Green Bay Packers
Accomplished: Won Super Bowl
Yards Difference: +29.5
Points Difference: +8.1

24. 1966 Kansas City Chiefs
Accomplished: Lost Super Bowl
Yards Difference: +66.1
Points Difference: +10.3

23. 1976 Oakland Raiders
Yards Difference: +68.0
Points Difference: +5.8

22. 1966 Dallas Cowboys
Accomplished: Lost NFC Championship
Yards Difference: +68.3
Points Difference: +10.1

21. 1983 Washington Redskins
Yards Difference: +49.3
Points Difference: +12.0

The Top NFL Offenses of All Time

20. 1982 San Diego Chargers
Accomplished: Lost Divisional Playoff Game
Yards Difference: +132.6
Points Difference: +11.8
Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow, and John Jefferson were phenomenal during the late 70's and early 80's. Their offense peaked in a year when seven games were cancelled. They have the largest yards difference (though in just nine games), but they could never go deep in the playoffs.

19. 2011 New Orleans Saints
Accomplished: Lost Divisional Playoff Game
Yards Difference: +81.2
Points Difference: +12.0
Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham, and Marques Colston were phen- that seemed familiar. The modern day Saints break passing records like it's nothing, and draw a lot of similarities to the 80's Chargers. This year was example of that.

18. 1998 Minnesota Vikings
Accomplished: Lost NFC Championship
Yards Difference: +73.8
Points Difference: +13.5
Randy Moss' rookie year helped spark the powerful Vikings. Only losing one game in the regular season, they fell short of the Super Bowl. However, their points difference ranks third best all time.

17. 1997 Denver Broncos
Yards Difference: +52.9
Points Difference: +8.8
Led by numerous Canton members, the Broncos won their first of their two championships. This was just the start of Shanahan's impressive offensive show outs.

16. 1967 Oakland Raiders
Yards Difference: +65.6
Points Difference: +11.6
The original Raiders are usually thought of as defensive teams. However, this list proves that point otherwise. The early Raiders couldn't get it done for awhile, but they were dominant in the regular season.

15. 2011 New England Patriots
Yards Difference: +81.2
Points Difference: +9.9
If Welker had caught that pass this team would be top eight easily. However, Brady failed to get it done against the Giants even with an impressive march to the finals.

14. 1991 Buffalo Bills
Yards Difference: +84.0
Points Difference: +9.6
A higher ranked offense out shot this great offensive unit led by Reed, Thomas, and Kelly. Very similar to the Patriots later on. This team was four wins from being known as the greatest dynasty ever.

13. 1984 San Francisco 49ers
Yards Difference: +60.9
Points Difference: +11.3
Montana - Rice and Company didn't put up flashy numbers like assumed. However, if I need to explain how good they were than there are bigger problems. The West Coast offense revolutionized the game helping put up big numbers and win several rings.

12. 1968 Oakland Raiders
Accomplished: Lost AFC Championship
Yards Difference: +111.6
Points Difference: +11.5
This Raiders team debunked my fear of the modern day offense bias in this system as they had the fourth greatest yards difference ever. Their numbers are astounding. Ken Stabler shined behind a Hall of Fame worthy offensive line.

11. 1972 Miami Dolphins
Yards Difference: +68.3
Points Difference: +7.2
It's funny how the only undefeated team is not considered the greatest offense or defense ever. This similar rank (to their defense) goes to show balance is what wins games. Griese and Morris complimented the No Name Defense to 17 wins and 0 losses.

10. 1998 Denver Broncos
Yards Difference: +63.1
Points Difference: +10.0
The more impressive statistical team of the Super Bowl pairs. One of the greatest QB's, coach, running back, tight end... you get the point. They were great players in a great system.

9. 1984 Miami Dolphins
Yards Difference: +104.1
Points Difference: +10.9
One of only seven teams to have differences of +100 and +10, Marino showed in his prime that he was one of the best ever. They lost to the number thirteen offense (1984 San Francisco 49ers) 38-16 in the big one.

8. 2001 St. Louis
Yards Difference: +100.5
Points Difference: +11.2
The finale to perhaps the greatest offensive run ever. The 2001 Rams attempted to win another Super Bowl with their best numbers yet. However, they fell short.

7. 1991 Washington Redskins
Yards Difference: +52.0
The '91 Redskins made it over '83 Redskins? Hmm. That's how it came out. Though their yards difference is alright in comparison they did score a lot... which is the point of the offense. Mark Rypien is in unfamiliar territory with the other quarterbacks here.

6. 1994 San Francisco 49ers
Yards Difference: +60.9
The 49ers made it back on the list with Steve Young. This team was well coached and full of talent and experience. This explained their dominance on both sides of the ball.

5. 1971 Dallas Cowboys
Yards Difference: +73.8
Points Difference: +9.6
Staubach proved his greatness as he efficiently led America's team to the Super Bowl. The defense and experience were key in their ultimate success. I think having Tom Landry in charge helped things too.

4. 2009 New Orleans Saints
Yards Difference: +68.7
Points Difference: +10.4
The '09 Saints can break the Chargers comparison because they won it all. The modern day air raid did indeed work and paid off tremendously in a ring and taking the Lombardi back to New Orleans. Who dat!

3. 2007 New England Patriots
Yards Difference: +86.0
Points Difference: +15.1
Arguably the greatest team not to win a Super Bowl, it goes unsaid that if Tyree didn't call the football, the record breaking duo of Moss and Brady would be an even larger legend. However, the Giants did them right even though they had the greatest points differential ever.

2. 2013 Denver Broncos
Yards Difference: +108.8
Points Difference: +14.5
People can talk about the smacking at the Super Bowl all they want. The 2013 Broncos ate records and crapped them out. The defense was also not favorable either. The number four defense of all time whooped them in the big game... there is no doubt. Manning let it fly.

1. 1999 St. Louis Rams
Yards Difference: +82.0
Points Difference: +12.1
I am glad to say that the Greatest Show on Turf (and grass for that matter) lived up fully. They easily were the greatest offense in the history of the NFL. Warner and Faulk were deadly, especially in a stretch with legendary defenses coming at them. Their numbers speak, their accomplishments speak, the 1999 St. Louis Rams are the best.

Extra Awards

Most Underrated
1967/1968 Oakland Raiders - Just like the last time, I have found a new respect for an old team. They are rarely talked about with few to any Hall of Famers outside the box. Their numbers were put up in a time where defense ran the show.

Most Overrated
1995 Dallas Cowboys - When I say overrated, it's more in the sense that the offense got too much credit. Winning three Super Bowls is definitely legendary... however, the offense did not produce like a Hall of Fame studded O would... especially in a weaker defensive era.

Unsung Hero
2004 Kansas City Chiefs - This team did not make the playoffs nor have a winning record. They did have the ninth greatest yards difference ever (91.2). They were loaded with talent like Trent Green and HOF tight end Tony Gonzalez. Not too mention a great backfield with Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes. Turnovers and a sad defense ruined this culmination of talent.

Best Decade
1990's - Not a surprise that the worst decade for defense is the best for offense. Offensive legends and dynasties were built in a time of free agency. Records were slayed as well as the greatest of all time being named.

Best Run
Late '90s/Early '00s St. Louis Rams - This may be controversial as the '80s/'90s San Francisco 49ers accomplished more. However, offensively the Greatest Show on Turf out performed any other offense in a three year period. It's sad that it was short lived compared to others. Luckily, it did produce the greatest offense ever.

Afterthoughts
I believe this resulted better than the first. I do appreciate the tips given because I think they directly affected the results positively. I find it funny that the system was changed to help teams who won the Super Bowl yet the Top Ten was riddled with many more Lost Super Bowl teams. Goes to show defense is what matters in crunch time. If you guys have anymore thoughts or ideas please share. I'm not soft on criticism. Thanks!

Daring to Dream - The Dash Davis Story
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

kaletore11's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The Best Offense in NFL History? (My Project: Part Two)

I'd say the Saints 2011 offense was better than their 2009 offense, but whatever.

All in all, a pretty solid list. I don't have a problem with Rams at #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Positive HIV test results > fans talking class in sports

Old 02-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Hrm, IMO the best offense i've seen is a toss up between the '99 Rams and one of the late '70s/early '80s Chargers. (probably the '81 edition)

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 55

Just based on the eye test, the 2007 Patriots seemed like the best to me. The '99 Rams were great, but they only managed to put up 11 points at home in the NFC Championship game. I need to look at the advanced stats to really make a comparison but the 2007 Patriots seem like the best ever to me.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Just based on the eye test, the 2007 Patriots seemed like the best to me. The '99 Rams were great, but they only managed to put up 11 points at home in the NFC Championship game. I need to look at the advanced stats to really make a comparison but the 2007 Patriots seem like the best ever to me.
Completely agree...you could debate that Patriots team was the best of the 2000's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
I was leaning Pats as well, but I can't use the same logic…they only put up 14 in the Super Bowl so it's hard to ding the Rams for only putting up 11 in a playoff game. IMO, the Rams/Pats is a toss up, but I don't see anyone on the Pats who is Marshall Faulk…that might put them over the top.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I was leaning Pats as well, but I can't use the same logic…they only put up 14 in the Super Bowl so it's hard to ding the Rams for only putting up 11 in a playoff game. IMO, the Rams/Pats is a toss up, but I don't see anyone on the Pats who is Marshall Faulk…that might put them over the top.
I completely whiffed on that Patriots team. They were impressive as well. It's very close between those 2 and the Air Coryell Chargers on the eye test alone. The thing that knocks that Chargers team is that they were SO cavalier with their offense that they took more risks than they should've which accounts for the INTs. There was one game I watched where Dan Fouts threw 4 INTs (3 of which IIRC were on consecutive possessions) yet they poured on the offense to win the game.

The '99 Rams were the Coryell Chargers playbook used smartly and with some new wrinkles. Dick Vermeil is on record as saying that the bulk of that offense was basically Don Coryell's playbook from those years.

As for the '07 Pats...Well there's not much more that needs to be said for those guys but getting shut down in convincing fashion the way they were against the Giants in the SB is a mitigating factor curbing that squad from being declared the best ever offense hands down.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 55

They won 18 straight games against real life NFL teams and lost the Super Bowl by three points after a complete fluke of a catch. I can't hold that against them when evaluating the best teams of all-time. Not just offensively speaking, but completely overall: they were the best pro sports team I've ever seen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »