Home

Top Ten NFL Coaches Most Likely to Get Fired

This is a discussion on Top Ten NFL Coaches Most Likely to Get Fired within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Top Ten NFL Coaches Most Likely to Get Fired

http://www.favredollarfootlongs.com/...ly-to-get.html

NFL coaches come and go every year. Some retire, some take better opportunities, but more often then not, most get fired. Within the last three years there have been twenty different coaching changes for one reason or another and with the crop of coaches that are waiting on the sidelines to get the call to coach again, this year will be no different. The NFL season doesn't start until Thursday, but you never know when the next coach will be sniped. This is why I will bring to you the Top Ten NFL Coaches Most Likely to Get Fired (in firing squad order).

#10 - Marvin Lewis, Cincinatti Bengals (46-49)
Marvin Lewis has been a top candidate to get fired for the last three years and still Cincy hasn't pulled the trigger. After finishing 4-11-1 last season there's no place to go but up for the Bengals. I've never been a huge Marvin fan, but after watching Hard Knocks I definitely appreciate it him more as a coach and believe the Bengals could be a solid team. So I don't think he's gone, but if they win six or less games then he's canned.

#9 - Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints (25-23)
The Saints seem to be peoples' pick every year to win the NFC South and many times to make the Super Bowl and they just never seem to be able to get the job done. Everyone seems to like Sean Payton, especially in New Orleans, but after starting off his head coaching career with a 10-6 record and the next two years going 7-9 and 8-8, respectively, he seems to be going in a downhill direction. I think he needs at least nine wins and to make the playoffs to keep his job.

#8 - Josh McDaniels - Denver Broncos (0-0)

Has any other head coach got off to a worse stint then Josh McDaniels? You try to trade away your franchise quarterback for a career backup QB who had one great year and then end up getting into a middle school girl bicker battle and have to trade Cutler for Orton and picks. He also hasn't done too well with their star wide receiver Brandon Marshall. If more personnel problems continue and the Broncos finish with six wins or less then I'm saying he's gone. There's too many good coaches out there to deal with continuous issues.

#7 - Jim Zorn, Washington Redskins (8-8)
An 8-8 record is usually solid for your first year as a head coach, but not if you're the head coach of the Washington Redskins. Daniel Snyder spends too much money every year to not expect his team to make the playoffs and another similar year could mean the dismissal of Jim Zorn. I actually think this firing is likely to happen after Jason Campbell is lackluster again and Albert Haynesworth plays a maximum of ten games.

#6 - Wade Phillips, Dallas Cowboys (22-10)
Everyone expects Jerry Jones to get rid of Wade after the season and grab Mike Shanahan, but I think the Cowboys will finally get a playoff win and Wade will keep his job. Wade has done great in the regular season and it seems as the players like him and Jerry likes him also. If he doesn't win a playoff game then he'll be gone within the post-game conference of whatever his last game is.

#5 - Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars ( 50-46)
I don't think there is a more overrated head coach in the NFL. Every year the Jags look like they have a chance to make the Super Bowl and they never do. They annually have great games with some of the top teams, which makes them look better then they are, but they also lose to some of the worst teams as well. Does anyone know the Jags record last year? 5-11! No more excuses that they're in the same division as the Colts because Del Rio will need to make the playoffs and win a game to continue to be the man in charge.

#4 - Tom Cable, Oakland Raiders (4-8)
Oakland's interim coach gets his shot to make it a full year in the NFL's most notorious coaching carousel. The Raiders might be improved compared to last year, but they still won't make the playoffs. I think Tom Cable is actually the right guy for the job, but if Al Davis continues to coach from the depths of Hell then the Raiders will continue to be horrid. I actually wouldn't put Cable to lose the job if he was on any other team, but with the Raiders having five different coaches in the past six years, I guess I have to.

#3 - Brad Childress, Minnesota Vikings (24-24)
Another unexpected coach on the list, but this one is very viable. Childress has already irked some of the players on the team with his back and forth banter about signing Favre and then never going to sign him and eventually signing him. The one thing going for Childress is he has improved the team by two wins in each year since his rookie coaching season so he has a good shot to continue that effort. The difference now is that the Vikings are placed as a Super Bowl contender instead of being the underdog exceeding expectations. If Favre doesn't produce results and the Vikings miss the playoffs, I think Childress will get the blame passed on him and he will be cut and a former NFL coach will get the nod the next year.

#2 - Gary Kubiak, Houston Texans (22-26)
Kubiak has weapons with the Houston Texans this year and with no pure powerhouse in the AFC South, the Texans may finally reach the playoffs. The team has been young the past two years, but all the players are more experienced and ready to take the next step. Kubiak must take the next step as well and get over the 8-8 hump and into the playoffs to keep his job. There is just too much offensive power on his team with Steve Slaton, Andrew Johsnon, and Matt Schaub to continue to be mediocre. Mediocre isn't good enough for a head coach in the NFL.

#1 - Dick Jauron, Buffalo Bills (21-27)
I think everyone is still surprised that Jauron is still a NFL head coach. Dick Jauron has had eight full seasons as an NFL head coach (5 in Chicago, 3 in Buffalo) and he has exactly one winning season. He has been 7-9 the past three years in Buffalo and it's not going to cut it anymore. This is another coach that has survived due to having a perennial powerhouse in his division and now he has TO to help him get to a winning record. I think Jauron not only needs to be over .500, but he must win a playoff game and have a chance at the division title for him to even have a chance to keep his job. I almost think he needs to make it to the AFC championship, but who knows with Buffalo Bills.

*All coach records are their records with their current team
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »