Home

Hakeem Olajuwon Vs Shaquille O'Neal

This is a discussion on Hakeem Olajuwon Vs Shaquille O'Neal within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: The Dream Vs Shaq
Shaquille O'Neal 33 35.11%
Hakeem Olajuwon 61 64.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22
Hakeem Olajuwon Vs Shaquille O'Neal

There have been quite a few comparison threads popping up so I thought to throw this one out there. I would think the majority of Basketball fans here saw both of these players at their respective peaks. With that being said who would you rather have on your team?

Myself personally I have a tough time picking between the two. Shaq put together some of the best games I have ever seen in my entire life. Especially during his early finals runs with the Lakers. At The same time I can't get over how Hakeem would move down low. He had some of the best footwork I ever saw. Not to mention how great he was on the defensive end.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
MVP

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Icon11 Re: Hakeem Olajuwon Vs Shaquille O'Neal

Shaq was pure force. Akeem was graceful. He used to pull back to the three point line and cross dudes up. He could score in so many ways.

Akeem could step on a court today and his footwork would allow him to dominate. This is a runaway in my mind but they are both great. Akeem tho... man he was super nice.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: Hakeem Olajuwon Vs Shaquille O'Neal

Shaquille O'Neal would be the pick. He was one of the best ever at holding his spot in the low post and catching the entry pass. Now, the ball is four feet from the basket and the defense has to stretch into alignments that are totally unsound. Can't front him either because that would be self-defeating. Only McHale had a wider variety of moves in the low post. Shaq puts more pressure on the defense than Hakeem does.

Hakeem was a quick-stepping face the basket center. A finesse guy. He drop-stepped into his fadeaway. Sometimes he faked the drop step. He wasn't really a low poster in the mold of McHale or Shaq. Thats a myth. Better rebounder and defender than Shaq, although he was always in foul trouble.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
MVP

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Akeem wasn't a low post guy? Alright alright alright....
Old 06-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Are we picking primes or total careers?

If I'm getting a 3 year prime, I'm taking Shaq. I've just never seen a physical force like an in shape and motivated Shaq.

If I'm getting the whole career, I'm taking a Hakeem. Shaq left a lot on the table because he had outside interests. Not knocking him for it (basketball isn't everything), but it's just a fact.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Hakeem had developed a skill set that separated him from any other bigman ever. He was long, athletic, and had so many go to moves it was a nightmare to defend. And he was a far better defensive player then Shaq was..

But sometimes when you have too much size and too much talent that's all that matters.. Shaq at his peak was probably the greatest center of all time. If he could have stretched out that peak to lost longer than 2-3 seasons he would be looked at as an ever greater player than he already is..

I think if you look at their career as a whole Hakeem would land higher on my all-time list than Shaq would.. But if you took the two of them at their very best and matched them against each other Shaq beats Hakeem.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

It's like Jordan vs James to a point. One guys had the nasty skills for his game. And the other just a pure beast. Even though Shaq took the off season too seriously. (And ate too much.) I always felt he left at least 2 more rings in LA. We might not see anyone like him for a very long time.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
MVP

RedSceptile's Arena

OVR: 17

Olajuwon is onw of my favorite guys to ever play but Shaq is just a monster. I mean in his prime years the only guy that was stopping Shaq was well Shaq (and the free throw line).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »