Home

Giants says: no deal with Edgar Renteria

This is a discussion on Giants says: no deal with Edgar Renteria within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-28-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Giants says: no deal with Edgar Renteria

Earlier this rumor was widespread that Giants are planning to acquire Edgar Renteria in the range of $18 million but they completely refuse and deny....... What's actually your take on this?

http://www.sportsviews.com/blog/6618...ts_Deny_Report
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Giants says: no deal with Edgar Renteria

well if its true and there not interested all i can say is, thank god, can't for the life of me understand why they would want a 33 yr. old washed up ss, i say let burriss play there and concentrate on getting orlando hudson to play 2nd base.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

The Giants are one of basically two teams (A's being the other) battling it out for Rafael Furcal so it looks like they would rather go with a veteran at SS. Burris could compete with Eugenio Velez and Kevin Frandsen for the 2B job if Furcal is signed, If they don't sign Furcal they may try to go with Ivan Ochoa to start the year as they have already said they would like Burris to mature into the role a little more.

The Giants have several issues related to their offense. They have to get a bat somewhere and it needs to be a cleanup hitter as Brian Sabean has already said they can't go another season with Bengie Molina hitting 4th. Getting a bat is an issue because what position do they focus on?. They can try to trade Randy Winn and go after a Rightfielder. They can use Fred Lewis as a 4th Outfielder and go after a Leftfielder (Manny Ramirez?) they need to upgrade over Rich Aurilia at 3B and could also use help at 1B (also held by Aurilia for much of last season) and somewhere in all of this they need to decide where Pablo Sandoval fits in.

Honestly with Burris, Ochoa and even Brian Bocock SS should be the least of the Giants concerns.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox
The Giants are one of basically two teams (A's being the other) battling it out for Rafael Furcal so it looks like they would rather go with a veteran at SS. Burris could compete with Eugenio Velez and Kevin Frandsen for the 2B job if Furcal is signed, If they don't sign Furcal they may try to go with Ivan Ochoa to start the year as they have already said they would like Burris to mature into the role a little more.

The Giants have several issues related to their offense. They have to get a bat somewhere and it needs to be a cleanup hitter as Brian Sabean has already said they can't go another season with Bengie Molina hitting 4th. Getting a bat is an issue because what position do they focus on?. They can try to trade Randy Winn and go after a Rightfielder. They can use Fred Lewis as a 4th Outfielder and go after a Leftfielder (Manny Ramirez?) they need to upgrade over Rich Aurilia at 3B and could also use help at 1B (also held by Aurilia for much of last season) and somewhere in all of this they need to decide where Pablo Sandoval fits in.

Honestly with Burris, Ochoa and even Brian Bocock SS should be the least of the Giants concerns.
The Giants do need a bat now, in fact they need to restructure their team, but they do have a crop of good young players in their farm system. They don't Renteria, they just need to throw some of the young players to the fire and see who pans out. I know this isn't popular with fans (until the young guys who can play start doing well) but it's a good thing for the future of your ballclub. I think that's what the Giants need to do.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Did Vizquel retire?

Not saying I want him back (love him regardless), because we definitely do need that bat. But in general, is he done?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
The Giants do need a bat now, in fact they need to restructure their team, but they do have a crop of good young players in their farm system. They don't Renteria, they just need to throw some of the young players to the fire and see who pans out. I know this isn't popular with fans (until the young guys who can play start doing well) but it's a good thing for the future of your ballclub. I think that's what the Giants need to do.
this is pretty much what they did for the last 4-5 months of the 08 season, molina and winn were the only two veterans who started on a regular basis for the most part, aurilla did a fair bit of spot starting as well, i think why the giants are looking at a ss instead of 2nd baseman is that they want burriss to play 2nd, he did an awesome job there the last month or so, sandoval will likely get either 1st or 3rd base job next yr. depending on whether or not they sign or trade for a 1st baseman or 3rd baseman, adam dunn would provide a much needed power boost at 1st but he hits so poorly at at&t that i don't think he will sign with them.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Did Vizquel retire?

Not saying I want him back (love him regardless), because we definitely do need that bat. But in general, is he done?
he's a free agent, i doubt anyone will sign him though.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
this is pretty much what they did for the last 4-5 months of the 08 season, molina and winn were the only two veterans who started on a regular basis for the most part, aurilla did a fair bit of spot starting as well, i think why the giants are looking at a ss instead of 2nd baseman is that they want burriss to play 2nd, he did an awesome job there the last month or so, sandoval will likely get either 1st or 3rd base job next yr. depending on whether or not they sign or trade for a 1st baseman or 3rd baseman, adam dunn would provide a much needed power boost at 1st but he hits so poorly at at&t that i don't think he will sign with them.
What's the deal with Ortmeyer and Bowker? I didn't keep up with much 2nd half baseball but I thought those 2 guys were decent with some upside to them if they got on the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »