Home

Vision Casting: How an AFL Game Could Succeed

This is a discussion on Vision Casting: How an AFL Game Could Succeed within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
MVP

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Vision Casting: How an AFL Game Could Succeed

I don't see how a AFL game would succeed but I think those things could be applied to make a CFL game successful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 15
I'd watch the AFL if they let the LB roam around freely.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
Rookie

WKUTopper9's Arena

OVR: 2
I think for this game to succeed we'd have to see the graphics of an EA game, the physics engine of Backbreaker, and the gameplay of All Pro 2K.

This game would have to focus on realism. You can't take short cuts. Real arenas, real players, real equipment.

Presentation would have to be a strong point too IMO. I'm not sure who they could get in the booth but it has to be well thought out and planned as well as fresh and not robotic.

I think this game could work but A LOT of work would have to be put into it to appeal to the casual folks. The die hard, open minded football fans would have no problem buying something fresh..
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
I don't see how a AFL game would succeed but I think those things could be applied to make a CFL game successful.
I'm not sure there'd be a lot of difference in terms of the market size for such games, except in Canada obviously.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0
I believe a game such as this or one containing the CFL heck even the UFL could work and I would try each one if they made the game fun. Competition breeds excellence gentlemen and ladies
Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadcakes
I believe a game such as this or one containing the CFL heck even the UFL could work and I would try each one if they made the game fun. Competition breeds excellence gentlemen and ladies
Competition is good for sure, but it doesn't have to be the be all and end all of things. As long as the developers look at things the right way a successful game could be made. Of course that might be easier said than done, but it's true in theory.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #31
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUTopper9
I think for this game to succeed we'd have to see the graphics of an EA game, the physics engine of Backbreaker, and the gameplay of All Pro 2K.

This game would have to focus on realism. You can't take short cuts. Real arenas, real players, real equipment.

Presentation would have to be a strong point too IMO. I'm not sure who they could get in the booth but it has to be well thought out and planned as well as fresh and not robotic.

I think this game could work but A LOT of work would have to be put into it to appeal to the casual folks. The die hard, open minded football fans would have no problem buying something fresh..
This is the problem EA developers run into. Obviously, they have the resources to put the true X's & O's into the game and focus more on simulation football, but they also must appeal to the casual fan... those who comprise a massive chunk of the Madden & NFL fanbase. So the devs are put in a no win situation: the suits demand more to make the game for mass appeal to live up to the multi-million units sold each year, while hardcore fans want real football and the developers are left unable to please anyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
This is the problem EA developers run into. Obviously, they have the resources to put the true X's & O's into the game and focus more on simulation football, but they also must appeal to the casual fan... those who comprise a massive chunk of the Madden & NFL fanbase. So the devs are put in a no win situation: the suits demand more to make the game for mass appeal to live up to the multi-million units sold each year, while hardcore fans want real football and the developers are left unable to please anyone.
What is a casual fan anyway? Are they stick jockeys that appreciate "twitch movement" over cerebral formation study or are the casual fans the ones that don't pick up Madden at midnight because they only have a casual interest in plucking down $60+ so they'll wait till the next morning or maybe even wait till 3PM because of their disinterest (ho hum).

There is no casual Madden fan. There are just those that are more easily satisfied with the game and those that are not. Sales of Madden 2012 (all platforms) are half of those for Madden 2007, so this "marketing" to sim and stick gamers is not working.

Ea has been trying to make the most realistic game possible and has failed. Check out the proposed changes this year:

Spoiler

Tell me they're worried about arcade gamers. They realize the more realistic they make the game (Phil Simms and Jim Nanz have over 9000 unique lines) the more the sales will go up. That's been their goal from day one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »