Home

Old PC Football Game

This is a discussion on Old PC Football Game within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Old PC Football Game

There was another thread on this forum where a poster asked if anybody knew of an old football game where all you did was call plays, simply the X's and O's. You did not control players, much less even see them. It was a very old game, but just wanted to know if anybody knew which game this was? All you saw was a picture of the football field and a football on the field to show position. Any help would be much appreciated. The other post didn't have the answer and the link that was posted went to this site,but just in a general sense, without an answer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Old PC Football Game

NFL Challenge http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/nfl-challenge
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
Rookie

Icon9 Re: Old PC Football Game

Mario Strikers Charged – Wii, 2007
This game was the sequel to Super Mario Strikers which was on the Nintendo Gamecube, everyone loved the classic Mario games and most people enjoy football so put them together and you get a fantastically fun game like this. This was by no means a true football simulation but was fun to play with your friends or online, offering a wide range of customisation options for your teams whilst fully revamping the graphics from the original. There were also added new arenas, side-kicks and challenges to keep you entertained for hours.

International Superstar Soccer Pro 98 (ISS Pro 98) – PS1, 1998
One of the first football games that I owned and when I played it on the PS1, I could not come off it. The ability to play in a single match, exhibition mode or in a full season against the computer or your friends was thrilling at the time. The only reason why it is below FIFA 99 in my list is because the names of the players weren’t authentic and you had to spend an hour editing them if you wanted them to be correct. Definitely one of my favorites of all time. The gameplay was phenomenal for a PS1 game.
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (UK) or World Soccer: Winning Eleven 9 (North America) – PS2, 2005
Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebs
There was another thread on this forum where a poster asked if anybody knew of an old football game where all you did was call plays, simply the X's and O's. You did not control players, much less even see them. It was a very old game, but just wanted to know if anybody knew which game this was? All you saw was a picture of the football field and a football on the field to show position. Any help would be much appreciated. The other post didn't have the answer and the link that was posted went to this site,but just in a general sense, without an answer.
NFL Challenge from XOR was a great game. I bought the game back in 1985 when it first came out and enjoyed several years of entertainment out of it. Considering how old it is, to this day it still simulates American Football better than many games that came after it. Of course it's not perfect. It has a few warts. But it is still a great game for it's era and people can now play it for free.

Pros:

- It does an excellent job simulating football. Even better than many more modern games.
- It can teach people the X's and O's of how offensive and defensive plays effect each other.

Cons:

- The graphics are obviously not up to modern date standards.
- No easy way to play an entire NFL season without managing the Schedule yourself.
- Limited playbook size with no way to customize the playbook.
- There is only one "play action" play in the entire playbook.
- No way to audible or swap the plays in the playbook.
- CPU opponent does not manage the clock at the end of the game/half optimally.
- The 4-3 Over Free Safety Blitz is too effective and should only be used sparingly.
- There are no 2 point conversions, then again 2 point conversions were not allowed in the NFL in the 1980s.

Considering it's age, it really is a great game. But if someone does decide to download the game and play it, download the PDF users manual at the same time. The offensive and defensive playbooks can be found at the end of the game's user manual.

Download the game here: http://hotud.org/component/content/a...42-sport/21302

Last edited by My993C2; 01-12-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
- The 4-3 Over Free Safety Blitz is too effective and should only be used sparingly.
Unless you called the TE Screen if I remember right. We had at least a hundred house rules with this game. When watching a real game we would be calling the play that you would call if you were playing Challenge.

Great game. There was suppose to be Premium Edition released but never came to fruition. Another example of how much fun an inferior product brought so much enjoyment because we didn't know better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Rookie

unnecessary roughness 96.. not bad.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:46 AM   #7
Rookie

Cons:

- The graphics are obviously not up to modern date standards.
- No easy way to play an entire NFL season without managing the Schedule yourself.
- Limited playbook size with no way to customize the playbook.
(well, you can make both the Offensive and Defensive PBs smaller, as I have done to simulate 1960s AFL and 2022 USFL)
- There is only one "play action" play in the entire playbook.
- No way to audible or swap the plays in the playbook.
- CPU opponent does not manage the clock at the end of the game/half optimally.
- The 4-3 Over Free Safety Blitz is too effective and should only be used sparingly. (There's a few plays, especially defensive, like this. I've removed the FB and TE Screens as every league I've run a TE leads all receivers and often a FB is waaaay up there too.)
- There are no 2 point conversions, then again 2 point conversions were not allowed in the NFL in the 1980s.

Considering it's age, it really is a great game. But if someone does decide to download the game and play it, download the PDF users manual at the same time. The offensive and defensive playbooks can be found at the end of the game's user manual.

Download the game here: http://hotud.org/component/content/a...42-sport/21302[/quote]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »