Home

Why don't Americans like text-sims?

This is a discussion on Why don't Americans like text-sims? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #49
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Why don't Americans like text-sims?

Statis Pro Baseball was awesome game growing up. The atari 2600 baseball just didn't get it done for me.

Strat is just way too cost prohibitive to me. I am enjoying action pc's lineup of text sims. They are very solid.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #50
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

OVR: 3

I haaate watching Soccer in real life.

I loooove me some Football Manager. Last year I took Noicattaro from Italia C2/C all the way to three straight Serie A Cups, including winning the Champions League, in ten years.

Sadly, Noicattaro no longer exists, but my career still exists on a defunct FM website!

http://loswonderkids.com/community/t...attarodag-red/

And I wholeheartedly agree on the promotion/relegation system. Imagine if that were true in other American sports. That would be amazing -- don't tank to get the top pick, fight for your life to not get thrown down a league. Of course, the Panthers would be screwed, but whatever. It puts a better product on the field.

Especially with all of those contracts that would have relegation penalty/buyout/termination clauses. Yikes.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0

I loved the concept behind NFL Head Coach. They should give it another try.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #52
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoe
Quite the opposite. For Madden, NCAA, all of the video games, they lack the ability to retain my interest. Think about it..after playing it for a few weeks, I'm ready for the next game because it gets boring. Same cut scenes. Same animations. Always have bugs that can't be patched. Always waiting for next year and the promise the game will be fixed and perfect. Never happens. But text sims get played for years and the lasting power is greater. Thus, SOM, APBA, etc. have been around over 40 years and retain a loyal following, even if the game is not updated annually.

I play videogames, but they never hold my interest like text games. The best for football is ACtion Pc football, by far.
I will agree with you here in that for a lot of people, myself included, the accuracy and unexpectedness of the text sims has greater staying power than the repeated cut scenes and predictability of the more popular video games. That said, I was obviously speaking in terms of those who are more attracted to the video games. Obviously this is two completely different groups, those who are visually stimulated who want to interact with the game on that level and be rewarded on that level and those who are intellectually stimulated and therefore are more enticed by the idea of a chessmatch style game where they try to outwit the opponent.

These two types of people are also a large part of what leads to the major differences in the number and popularity of the games produced. Visually stimulated people need new and different things to keep their mind going on a constant basis making them willing to throw down their money for the next big thing. On the other hand intellectually stimulated people can find continuing challenge as long as the game or a human opponent can keep up with them from a mental aspect so games built for them will, if well built, last much longer.

I play both and have interest in both. I am a big number cruncher personally and can get very excited about that but I am always looking for a game that brings that visual reward to life in a intellectually stimulating football game.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #53
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

For the same reason we generally don't like soccer..... we want action. (...now ducking....)
Old 06-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #54
Pro

OVR: 4

Hi Guys

I would love to try a football text sim. I have out of the park baseball which I found at walmart last year and quite enjoy it. I also have baseball mogul which is okay. I know that there was a free version of OOTP baseball but does anybody know of free versions of football text sims?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 0

^ Heres a demo i just tried out of Front Office Football 2007 w/ this seasons rosters it looks like. http://www.solecismic.com/demo/index.php

Well, after a lifetime of playing madden and ncaa, and looking at the demo, i can say very easily why people dont like it: its different. Depth as big as the grand canyon, little real "direction," alot of words, terms, no visuals. Its a selective taste, like MMOs. Takes alot of time to learn, adapt, and if youre a moderate football fan, it is NOT for you. Official straight forward ratings arent there, there is an endless amount of buttons and redirections.... its overwhelming. And if it isnt fun immediately, and its just overpowering, many people wont get too into it.

I want to buy this, i was a huge fan of Head Coach, im the #1 football fan at my school, and starting i still was kind of... Confused, it just isnt as straight forward and doesnt have big flashes telling you here advance week lol. But i want in depth football, ill learn. itll take awhile, but i like the customization i see in the game. If i recall, you can change all the team names back to real nfl teams and have pretty much exactly the NFL system, no? It looks interesting. Ill play around, see how this demo goes. I really want to buy this, im glad i found it. I love NCAA, Madden, Head Coach, anything worthwhile thats football. This looks like the twist ive been looking for. This will be my first text game though... Wish me luck haha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #56
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Any text sims for smartphone users? Specifically, Android?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »