Home

Wild Card Football Review: Not Quite Wild Enough

This is a discussion on Wild Card Football Review: Not Quite Wild Enough within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-06-2023, 06:12 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Wild Card Football Review: Not Quite Wild Enough

For those who prefer their video game football to be fast and frenetic, Wild Card Football...

Written By: Kevin Scott

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Wild Card Football Review: Not Quite Wild Enough

Hm, might pick up at some point. Gives me Backyard Football Nostalgia for some reason. But definitely disappointing.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #3
Rookie

PaleVermilion's Arena

OVR: 3

Honestly disappointed by this review. Way too many mentions of Madden, especially for a site that instantly shuts down any Madden comparison in threads on other football games. And taking cues from Mutant League Football? No thanks. All the over the top stuff in that game was to cover up for the fact that the actual football in that one isn't that good. Running up the middle is fun if you time the forward juke correctly and the RB flips over the line. Scored many touchdowns that way on the goal line and it's always fun to see!

Wildcard plays a good game of arcade football and I'm excited to see where they go with this. The core game is solid and the graphics are great.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleVermilion
Honestly disappointed by this review. Way too many mentions of Madden, especially for a site that instantly shuts down any Madden comparison in threads on other football games. And taking cues from Mutant League Football? No thanks. All the over the top stuff in that game was to cover up for the fact that the actual football in that one isn't that good. Running up the middle is fun if you time the forward juke correctly and the RB flips over the line. Scored many touchdowns that way on the goal line and it's always fun to see!

Wildcard plays a good game of arcade football and I'm excited to see where they go with this. The core game is solid and the graphics are great.

I agree. This review doesn’t reflect my experience with the game at all. I’ve already logged more time on it than any football game since the ps2 days.

It’s 7 on 7 which means you probably have 2 or 3 defensive lineman on a play. If the defense is playing the pass it’s usually 2 lineman and running up the middle will net you a fairly decent gain but if they are playing a run d probably not.

The wildcards have some really effective ones and some subtle ones. Use rocketman on a pass play and it’s almost a lock for a sack. Hot potato on a run and the rb explodes after a couple of yards. It’s effect is kinda like Tecmo Bowl when you pick the same play as the offense but you’ll only have 1 or 2 of those in your deck to use per game.

The subtle ones like speed boost or mighty throw do have an effect but you have to use football strategy to really get the advantage. Use them on a fly route on 3rd and short when the defense is playing run for example.

It’s definitely not Madden and I’m glad it’s not Mutant league. A modernized Tecmo Bowl is the best example I can’t think of from my experience with the game. Football strategy with some video game fun sprinkled in.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »