Home

Is it time for a third party to enter the NBA gaming format?

This is a discussion on Is it time for a third party to enter the NBA gaming format? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon14 Is it time for a third party to enter the NBA gaming format?

Before i get bashed by the entire community on this one.. hear me out.. as a basketball game since Bulls v. Lakers on the Sega back in the early 90's i have always played basketball games... going from the arcade (NBA Jam) to the simulations (NBA 2K on Dreamcast) and everything in between...

Now i'm in a gaming problem.... see i was a huge fan of Live 10 on the PS3/XBox and a huge fan of NBA 2K11 this year... but something is missing... it seems like both games took a huge step forward but had somethings missing??

How come neither one can get a franchise done correctly? EA has stat problems and 2K finds some kind of way when they patch a game to mess it up... Both have fast break issues that could be in the coding or someone forgot...

As a consumer of Basketball and sports games for a matter of fact... is a third NBA game out of the question?? Would the gaming public be ready for a third NBA game not made by EA or Take Two or am I talking out the side of my neck??

I want to know people opinion???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Rookie

nron's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Is it time for a third party to enter the NBA gaming format?

I agree. I am getting really tired of EA, and as much as I love 2k11, there's something about it that just doesn't feel right. don't get me wrong, by far the best bball game i've ever played, but for whatever reason, I keep wanting to go back to Live 10.
It's messed up, but I would love a 3rd company to come out with something.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
jsg
Pro

OVR: 10

whats missing is a college game
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I think Konami needs to step up and create a game...maybe even with another company. Does Konami still exist?

And anyway, a third company with a bad game always makes the other company(ies) look good!

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Konami would be a good choice, they make one of the best Sports Games around in Pro Evolution Soccer. If they could do the same for the NBA that would be awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Rookie

But would the gaming public support another NBA Game?? I read so many people who bash these games... but if i'm a third party developer is it worth the time or the effort?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy83
But would the gaming public support another NBA Game?? I read so many people who bash these games... but if i'm a third party developer is it worth the time or the effort?
No doubt the bar is really high. EA Sports, maybe the company who is (was?) used to be more identified with basketball games than any other company - failed this year and didn't release a title. No doubt, you need to have either a GREAT/AWESOME/AMAZING title to get the credit these days, or at least be different (which may not work, as it didn't really work for Sony) but still have the quality.

BUT, if you put the time/money to create your first title - and make it to be great, you create a very solid base. This base, with tweaks and enhancements every year, can definitely put you up there with the competition.

I would be very excited if I knew there is going to be a new NBA game. However, no way I am buying it until I'm sure it has quality. If it does prove to have it, I'll definitely buy it (if not on day one, then when the price drops...as I'm not paying $60 for new games for now, until I find a new job).

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
Rookie

But that being said....

Some features like Blacktop mode or things that nature.... should be left out?? Do you think a buying public would be happy with something like a basic... season... dynasty/franchise..playoff... online... preseason.. create-a-player mode like the olden days or do game companies have to have everything incorporated?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »