Home

2K Sports and Konami Swing into Action with MLB® Power Pros 2008

This is a discussion on 2K Sports and Konami Swing into Action with MLB® Power Pros 2008 within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #25
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: 2K Sports and Konami Swing into Action with MLB® Power Pros 2008

This game is saving 2k baseball right now.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 8

IGN has a ton of media up of the Wii version

Here's some screenshots of the MLB Life mode. Trust me, it's the most addicitive sports mode you will ever play!

Browsing through the IGN shots, here's some images from MLB Life mode:

Last edited by XiaNaphryz; 05-13-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #27
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'm positive I didn't read that right.
I'm pretty sure this picture proves there is 40 man rosters(look at the rosters option it says 25 and you can change it).
Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #28
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
I'm pretty sure this picture proves there is 40 man rosters(look at the rosters option it says 25 and you can change it).
I also want to point out that I don't think there are full minor leagues because in this picture it only say 9 players for AAA.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #29
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Didn't see this thread, so I posted in the other thread.

Can't wait! My day just got a whole lot better.

I hope they fix some of the defense and baserunning, though.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Didn't see this thread, so I posted in the other thread.

Can't wait! My day just got a whole lot better.

I hope they fix some of the defense and baserunning, though.
While I agree that it would be good to get last year's nagging issues addressed, honestly I'd be willing to overlook them for another year if they don't screw up MLB Life mode.

Seriously, that game mode is worse than crack - you will end up spending 90%+ of your time in that mode.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:37 AM   #31
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Really? I usually hate superstar modes and stuff. What makes this one different?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Really? I usually hate superstar modes and stuff. What makes this one different?
It's hard for me to describe. The main draw for me is the genuine feeling that you're building a player's career story - nothing majorly pre-scripted, what happens is primarily driven by your decisions and how well your player does in games, but the random specter of injury or some other off-field event can crash things down (luckily, you can always reload if you don't want to accept that). So as a result, there's a real sense of accomplishment and regret as things occur, and major highlights for each player you take through stick in your head and you end up building your own set of stories. Granted, these stories are all in your head as you piece things together, but if following a real player's career as he goes through ups and downs fascinates you in general, you should at least give this a shot.

Here's a post I made on GAF regarding My Life mode in a previous Pawapuro game. It's a bit loose and not as well written as it could be, but I hope my points come across:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaNaphryz
It's much less cutscene driven. You create your player at the beginning, get an initial contract with a team, and then throughout the mode you'll get different choices at various times as the calendar year goes by (who you train with, whether you go out on a night on the town with your teammates or not, etc). You can choose things like what car to drive, or what house to own, etc. There's a small bit of socializing, as you can meet women along the way and possibly get married and have kids - you get a massive condition boost on your kid's birthdays, which is a cool touch. There's also a "fame" rating that will rise as your player does better and better - up to a rating of 100 being mega superstar, meaning constant TV commercial offers, lots of post-game interviews, more leverage in contract negotiations (i.e. you can get away with higher salaray demands, more bonus clauses like getting a bonus for winning MVP, etc)

You can change your current training regiment at any time which determines your current stat growth, but you'll get boosts/losses also based on your game performances. You ONLY control your player during games - only your at-bats or innings you're called up for pitchers. No control of any other players whatsoever, this mode is meant to sim just your player.

You won't play much when you start, only when the manager puts you in. So it's possible for you to sit out of entire games if you're on a loaded team. But as you do well in games and gain the manager's trust, you'll get put in more and more. You have to earn playing time, but when you do get a starting spot you'll feel like you earned it.

For an example of the game mode: The pitcher I created in Pawapuro 10 started as a relief pitcher for the Tokyo Giants, but soon earned the closer spot towards the end of my rookie season. I earned the rookie of the year award for that, and was allowed a shot at the starting rotation the next season. I did pretty well, leading the league in ERA, but lack of run support meant a lot of no-decisions and 2-0 losses. Same thing happened the next season as my player earned pitcher of the year by leading the league in Wins, ERA, and K's, but the rest of the bullpen was crap as were the 3rd and 4th starters. During this time, my fastball velocity increased to the low 90s, my slider and sinker reached level 4, I became one of the major star faces of the league, bought a luxury car, a huge mansion of a house, dated a few people and eventually got married and had one kid.

I ended up getting traded at the start of the next season to the Hanshin Tigers, which kinda irked me as they were at the bottom of the standings most of those seasons. So my player went out and continued to lead the league as the game's top starting pitcher, slowly improving my stats along the way. I eventually led the Tigers to a championship title in my contract year, which meant tons of free agent offers in the offseason. I also noticed as my player approached his late 20s/early 30s, stat improvement was slowing down considerably. Most of my training effort was more to keep my stats where they were than in any real increase.

I could go on and on, but this mode is truly awesome for one main reason: it's you are building your player's career story, and you'll be intimately connected with key highlights that happen along the way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »