Home

Christmas 2014

This is a discussion on Christmas 2014 within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29
Christmas 2014

I know that my American friends have yet to celebrate their Thanksgiving, but Christmas is in full swing in my household. My wife and I have our 3 trees up, decorated the entire house inside and out and we've started and have almost finished our Christmas shopping. The radio stations in Toronto, 98.1 and 93.1fm have flipped to Christmas music and 102.5fm in Buffalo has as well. Please post stations in your neck of the woods, that have transitioned over to Christmas music.

With 32 days until Christmas, I thought I would start this thread and hopefully open a discussion on traditions, decorating, shopping ideas and or your Christmas list. What are some of your favourite Christmas commercials? Mine is the Folgers coffee commercial when the son comes home and wakes everyone up with the smell of coffee!

I understand it may be TOO early for some people, so please don't come and post that. I get it. This time of year can also be difficult for some people. For those of you in that situation, I hope this season finds you and your love ones well.

Christmas has always been special to me and it means even more to me now after my accident and as I get older. For me it's an opportunity to relive happy traditions and memories, make new ones and enjoy the holidays with my friends and family.

Basically, I'm a Christmas nut! I love the movies and the music, basically I love it all...except for eggnog!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

Re: Christmas 2014

Here are a few pictures of the outside of our house, my living room and den and some stuff on my wife's piano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

My wife and I have 4 kids (9-14). We moved from Ohio to Florida 10+ years ago. Neither of us is close to our family, and I have not seen any of my parents or siblings since we moved here (long story - but the quick version is that my parents won't travel and it's too expensive for us, along with our work demands). That may sound crummy to some, but my point is that we don't have any traditions. Our kids don't know any different as they were really little when we lived near family. Our kids don't see their grandparents (my wife's parents) but once every couple years, and they've only met a few of their nephews/nieces once. But for some strange reason, it works for us. We are deeply involved in our church, so we have a great support network. On Christmas we typically go to a movie or to a beach (if weather permits). This year we are not celebrating Christmas with gifts, as we've already gotten the kids what they've wanted throughout the year. My wife recently took a paycut, and our finances were tighter.

I guess I'm disappointed to type this as growing up Christmas meant so much. Now I'm 42, and I just see the world a bit differently. We don't put up our tree (we're not home much and the cat decides to destroy it). Our kids will most likely hang out with their friends that day, as many other families here in Florida are in the same boat as we are. It's just different - the weather is warm, Santa wears sunglasses and shorts, and palm trees have some lights on them. It's a different culture, and to be candid I'm totally fine with this. I admire those who do the Clark Griswold thing for Christmas, but our family has decided to put our remaining resources into giving to kids who have needs - a couple poor families who have absolutely nothing. The kids were in full agreement, and this year they've said they don't want anything as they already have so much.

Just a different perspective. We're not Scrooges - we just live in a different culture and our priorities have changed due to those circumstances.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

mk, there is nothing wrong with the way you celebrate. To each their own. Most importantly, you and your family are happy and together.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #5

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

I don't have a fave Christmas commercial cause I've rarely watched commercials the past few years lol.

Last year unfortunately for me was the worst Christmas/holiday season I had. Mostly just cause of the fact that 90% of all traditions I have during the holidays didn't happen,including the 2 main ones I look forward to every single year. Since I've gotten to the point where "Christmas isn't about the presents",those traditions mean alot more now, so sucks if you go a year without them.

But this year I've basically been annoying people for weeks before anything happens to make sure those traditions happen again this year,even if some people might not be able to make it. So it's actually happening again this year,which is why I'm real excited for every weekend in December!

Show/Specials wise,the "classics" are classics for a reason:

(though I've still NEVER gotten that "the bumble bounced" joke after all these years)

Though I've always wondered if it's ever possible to create a new holiday icon. After all,there was a time when there were only ever 8 reindeer. And Frosty wasn't a common snowman name or anything like that. Or has it gotten too hard to create that type of change in todays society?

Last edited by Majingir; 11-23-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

Maj.,

If the traditions are important to you, fight for them. Have a hand in initiating them and get those around you to be invested and excited about the traditions as well. It's easy to let them slip and stop as you get older, so sometimes you need to nudge them along a bit more. It will make them ever more important.

As for Christmas icons and if new ones can happen...ELF ON THE SHELF. It's huge with my sister and daughter. It's also very big with other families. Google images of it and what families do with it. Some are very funny. What about Buddy the Elf. I would say he is very popular. I think they still happen from time to time.

My favourite Christmas show is still, "T'was the Night Before Christmas". It was made in the 70's I think. I love it and highly recommend it.

I hope this is a better Christmas for you.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #7

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24forever
Maj.,

If the traditions are important to you, fight for them. Have a hand in initiating them and get those around you to be invested and excited about the traditions as well. It's easy to let them slip and stop as you get older, so sometimes you need to nudge them along a bit more. It will make them ever more important.
It wasn't cause people weren't interested/excited, it was just a case of everyone being too busy having other things planned during that time. The weather didn't help either cause there was lots of snow/LOTS of freezing rain and stuff(around the Christmas break,it honestly looked like something out of a Christmas card,trees were frozen solid/coated in ice and things covered in snow) Though even this year,planning a month in advance,still wasn't enough time to guarantee every single person will be available, but at least things will be happening again this year,regardless if everyone makes it or not.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Won't be home for Christmas for the second straight year. Boooooo .

Last edited by AUChase; 11-24-2014 at 12:39 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »