Home

Help From Hip Hop/Rap Heads

This is a discussion on Help From Hip Hop/Rap Heads within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 31
Icon7 Help From Hip Hop/Rap Heads

So I am exhausting my collection of music that I listen to regularly. So now I plan on going through an evolution of Hip Hop/Rap. I was hoping those of you that are well versed could give me some albums that are must listens to, artists to listen through their catalog etc....

I am looking for originators. The cats that really defined when new eras or styles started/ended. Any explanation to why and what to listen for is also much appreciated. Also I don't really care what was popular. I don't really care about how successful the artist was either. Underground or less known artists are much appreciated.

Thanks fellas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: Help From Hip Hop/Rap Heads

Here are a few of my recommendations if you want to know about trendsetting Hip-Hop albums:

Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
KRS-One and Scott La Rock dropped a groundbreaking album in terms of lyrics and production. Before Criminal Minded dropped, no one took the politically and/or socially conscious approach that KRS had. This album also included the two legendary battle tracks of all time coming from the Blastmaster’s beef with MC Shan at the time in "South Bronx" and "The Bridge Is Over." Many of the breakbeats on Criminal Minded were considered ahead of its time and laid the direction of how hip-hop albums that focused more on boom-bap style of production would be created. There were also many contributions from Ced-Gee, although he wasn't officially credited for them.

Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown
Now let's go over Ced-Gee's own personal project which comprised of his group -- Ultramagnetic MCs. Critical Beatdown is hailed for being created by Ultra, who used production techniques that were ahead of time back when this album made its debut. Plus it showcased the trailblazer and father of the abstract rhyming style, Kool Keith. For those who crave rugged, thumping bass and boom-bap type beats that would rattle any stereo system along with being laced with some bizarre rhyme styles from Kool Keith and crew, it doesn't get much better than this.

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
"Organized chaos" is what I would call this album. From some ill guitar riffs, to bizarre sound effects looped in to thumping boom-bap beats, this album hits listeners from all angles. Just pure sonic brilliance. And don't overlook the militant lyrics from the always social-conscious Chuck D that still proves relevant. To this day many regard Nation Of Millions as the best hip-hop album of all time -- and with good reason.

EPMD - Strictly Business
Erick Sermon and Parrish Smith formed the first act to incorporate varied bass-heavy funk grooves into their production. They're also the first group to help popularize samples from Zapp & Roger records. Strictly Business may not be EPMD's best overall album, but this one is easily the most influential one that E-Double and The Mic Doc created.

Just-Ice - Kool & Deadly
Just-Ice is the true pioneer of gangster rap. Granted, there were artists before him who touched on hardships like Melle Mel. But Just-Ice is the first to rap explicitly and exclusively about his lifestyle without glorifying where he came from or what he did – and dropped a quality album going over it to boot.

Stetsasonic - In Full Gear
Stet was the first hip-hop group to incorporate elements and samples from jazz tunes, which was a popular trend at the time. Some of the tracks on this album still sound mind-blowin' to me.

Heavy D & The Boyz - Big Tyme
Heavy D was the first rap artist to effectively blend R&B elements into hip-hop music in a creative manner without sounding lackluster or watered down (courtesy of the criminally underrated producer Teddy Riley in terms of his hip-hop contributions), and this is one of his group's very best albums. A listener could also hear sprinkles of the New Jack Swing style, which was emerging at that time.

Ice-T - Power
Ice-T was the first artist to make his home out on the west coast and claim that region on his records. Now this isn't Ice-T’s first album by any means (he dabbed into some techno joints earlier in the decade and also brought out Rhyme Pays a year before), or his greatest album (O.G. Original Gangster has that honor), but Power is Ice’s first cohesive album that goes into the gangster theme Just-Ice established, but goes into that subject more vividly than he did.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 10-06-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Help From Hip Hop/Rap Heads

Nas - Illmatic

&

2Pac - All Eyez On Me (Lyrically, Me Against The World was better though, imo)

Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Banned

dopeboy206's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Nas - Illmatic

&

2Pac - All Eyez On Me (Lyrically, Me Against The World was better though, imo)

Pac was never lyrical in my books. I think the Makaveli The Don Killuminati album was more lyrical than me against the world.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
So I am exhausting my collection of music that I listen to regularly. So now I plan on going through an evolution of Hip Hop/Rap. I was hoping those of you that are well versed could give me some albums that are must listens to, artists to listen through their catalog etc....

I am looking for originators. The cats that really defined when new eras or styles started/ended. Any explanation to why and what to listen for is also much appreciated. Also I don't really care what was popular. I don't really care about how successful the artist was either. Underground or less known artists are much appreciated.

Thanks fellas.
you looking for originators of rap in general or just different styles of it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
MVP

Po Pimp's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboy206
Pac was never lyrical in my books. I think the Makaveli The Don Killuminati album was more lyrical than me against the world.
Define lyrical. Pac was plenty lyrical in my opinion. He was just a more straightforward MC than those you deem as lyrical. Pac had the vocabulary, he just wasn't much of a metaphorical rapper. He didn't kill u with hot lines...he had poignant verses nonetheless though.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Outkast and Pharcyde for the 90's 'psychedelic' funk...

Slick Rick and Blowfly for the late 70's into the 80's early / dirty party rap is fun too...

Anything on Sugarhill...

Paul's Boutique by the Beasties...
Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboy206

Wow, I'm speechless.

The greatest rapper of all time wasn't lyrical?

2Pacalypse Now & Strictly 4 My N.I.*.*.*.Z both were damn good albums also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »