Home

Advice for the next generation

This is a discussion on Advice for the next generation within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-15-2024, 12:17 PM   #1
MVP

JG80's Arena

OVR: 0
Advice for the next generation

Hello everyone.

I created this account 11 years ago because I was more interested in realism for my sports gaming than most kids. Now that I am 25, I feel like I've come full circle here on OS. Still trying to make sports games more realistic, but with very little time to do so compared 2013-2022.

Just a tidbit of background information:
I'm only 2 years removed from graduating with my bachelor's, and already I have shifted careers. I initially treated my degree like high school, and only realized after the fact that there is so much more to a college degree. After working as a Soil Conservationist for the government, I went back to school for a degree in Comp Sci - Software engineering. After successfully completing one semester, I was offered a job by a company who trains employees to become software engineers.

I realize that most people here, to my knowledge, are significantly older than me (If I'm wrong, my apologies ). If you have any advice for someone like myself, please share your thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2024, 03:47 PM   #2
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Advice for the next generation

Don't give up your life for the company you work for. Use your PTO - it's their responsibility to make sure the work gets done when you're not there, not yours.
Old 07-18-2024, 07:07 PM   #3
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Don't give up your life for the company you work for. Use your PTO - it's their responsibility to make sure the work gets done when you're not there, not yours.
This. When I was new in my career I always felt bad when I would take PTO. It took me a long time to get comfortable with that. Now I'm in a position where I have to encourage my direct report who is young in their career to do so all the time.

I would also just in general to never forget that work is work, it's not your life. It's very easy to get caught up in projects and deadlines. Don't miss opportunities to spend with family and friends because of them.

Other advice is the basic but it can't be overstated. Start saving early in your career. Even if it's just $50 or $100 a pay check. Whatever you can afford. Invest for retirement early and often.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:23 AM   #4
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Absolutely unequivocally 100% this. No one on their deathbed looks back with regret and says, ''You know, l wish I had spent more time at work.''
Old 07-19-2024, 11:10 AM   #5
Let's Go Pens!

LetsGoBucs's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm almost 50 and here is what I would say -

- Like others have said already, don't feel like your work defines you. If a company needs to get rid of you they will in a second. If you leave they will not shut down, they will replace you. It doesn't mean you shouldn't care, but understand that you don't need to give up your life and free time for a company. I like to use the phrase that I "work to live not live to work".

- That being said, also understand that there are times when you DO need to put in additional effort and time. Especially in software development coming up on releases and such. No job like that is a strict 9-5 job all the time. But try to make things even out in the long term. If there is a day where you don't have a lot going on leave early (or shut it down early).

- Don't be afraid to hop jobs. I'm in that in-between generation where people older than me stayed at a place their whole lives while the younger generations hop around. I've never been hesitant to move and have found that it is a great learning opportunity. Not every place does everything right (or wrong) and you can pick up best practices along the way that you can take with you.

- Try to find a place where you care about the product/service/etc. that you work on. For me personally I've found that if I enjoy what I'm working on it makes my day MUCH better. I have an engineering background (electrical/software) and have worked at places where I could care less about what I was working on and it made the days drag on. Software development is pretty much a universal skill so find an industry that interests you and go for it. I'm currently a program manager in the sports industry. If you like sports for example, don't forget that there are tons of opportunities for things other than being an athlete.

- Don't give up if you don't get the job you want right away. I applied for a job where I'm currently at 3 times before getting the job on the 4th try. I knew it was where I wanted to be and I tried not to let the times it didn't work out deter me from continuing to try.

- Don't hesitate to rely on your network when looking for jobs. As you grow and get older your network will expand. I've helped several friends, ex-colleagues, etc. find a role because I knew someone at that company. And I'm sure if I needed it my network would do the same for me.

That was a LONG WINDED answer to your question... Hopefully it helps!
NBA: Denver Nuggets, Orlando Magic
NCAA: Penn State Nittany Lions, Boston College Eagles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2024, 11:48 AM   #6
Pro

First off, smart question coming from a 25 year old!

Great answers above.

I'd emphasize a few things:

1. Try to find something you'll enjoy for the long term as well as the short term, this can be difficult. What may be amazing for the first 5 years can become tedious for the rest of your working life. Try to find something that allows creativity so it remains interesting.

2. Coming from a 50 year old here that retired at 48 (with a spouse and a child). Save. Save. Save for retirement NOW. I worked a very demanding (on several levels) but rewarding government job that didn't pay great but it's all about compound interest and time. Look up the graphs on how much money you'll make if you save early on in your life.

3. As others have stated, there are times to work hard but please enjoy your time off and take those days truly off. Your job will never love you back.

Godspeed and good luck!
Old 07-21-2024, 07:29 AM   #7
Heyoka.

EUBlink's Arena

Try anything once unless it smells like a fish but is not a fish.

Also, learn how to truly remove yourself from your desires, and remove your desires from yourself. I'll dig into this a little deeper later.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:55 AM   #8
MVP

JG80's Arena

Big thanks to everyone for responding; I sincerely appreciate your opinions and perspectives.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »