Home

Any else play primary used/older games?

This is a discussion on Any else play primary used/older games? within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
MVP

ESPNdeportes's Arena

OVR: 13
Any else play primary used/older games?

Just wondering if anybody else is like me and plays mainly used and older games. Maybe it's my age (31) or situation in life (married, and with a new baby), but over the past few years I have transitioned from playing mainly new releases to essentially only used games.

There is certainly a financial benefit to doing this, but I find playing used games provides me with a much greater satisfaction in gaming. I think part of it was buying only new games made me feel a bit like a rat in a wheel (buy a new game, play it to a newer one comes out, then tell myself I'll keep playing it, but months later I would have rarely played it- see the guilt, gaming, and too many games thread). With used games, I have no sense of urgency other than to play the games I have missed. I have also found that most of the big multiplayer games that are older still have a lot of players- currently I still play some Halo 4.

Of course, this isn't a hard and fast rule for me. I bought Borderlands 2 new last year so I could play with one of my friends, and it was great. I buy Madden new every other year.

Currently I have an 360- this weekend I bought portal 2 and Tomb Raider. Just walked in the store and got them both for $30. Both are great so far. My next plan is to find a cheap PS3 and play through the sony exclusives- currently planning for uncharted series, Little Big Planet, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, and Last of Us.

Thoughts?

PSN: raginrapids
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Any else play primary used/older games?

I try to save money and hardly ever buy new games at release. Used to buy NBA 2K almost every year, but not anymore. When I buy a next-gen console I'll buy the older next-gen games.

For now, I play older games on PS3, all used. There are some good games made in 2007-2009. And I also don't buy many, maybe 1 game in 2 months or more.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Rookie

LHT69's Arena

OVR: 6

Love the older used games...many can now be had for dirt cheap. Just finished the Gears of War trilogy, as well as the uncharted series....great games. Just picked up kill zone 2 and 3, battlefield 2 and 3, as well as tomb raider, all used.

With all these used games I don't think I will be switching to next gen anytime soon.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

I play many older sports titles. I still have a Madden 04 Franchise from back in the day that I play every so often. I've been playing a great deal of Madden 08 recently on the PS2. I started up a fantasy draft franchise and I'm having a great time with it.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Depends on what mood I'm in.
I still play the Gamecube quite often and a lot of games on virtual consoles.
Basically I don't care how new/old they are but rather if I have fun playing them.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #6

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

The only games I ever get new (this console release aside) are MMOs and multiplayer specific (bf4) games, with the occasional RPG thrown in if I know it will be more than worth my money.

Having a gaming PC (and a Steam backlog of well over 75 games) there's no need for me to ever pay $60 for a title. Since I stopped playing most "mainstream" sports games, that need has gone away.

On the console side, there are so many great games that can easily give a ton of gameplay hours (that are fun and have a passable-to-great story) that people can grab on the cheap it's unbelievable - and I don't mean just the big releases 6 months after they launched.

Side note: I think the only time I feel the need for new game purchases are when something like a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game hits, along with a few select JRPGs I'm looking forward to.

The new Lord of the Rings game sounds amazing and is something we've never seen in gaming before, so if it comes out and accomplished what it set out to, I'll be all over that too.

Tl;dr version - so many great games out there to play and finish, especially from older consoles. No need to ever buy a new game if you aren't spoiled by graphics and can put up with visuals from eras gone by for fantastic gameplay/stories.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
MVP

ESPNdeportes's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
I play many older sports titles. I still have a Madden 04 Franchise from back in the day that I play every so often. I've been playing a great deal of Madden 08 recently on the PS2. I started up a fantasy draft franchise and I'm having a great time with it.
now that is dedication....I don't dip quite that far back lol!!

PSN: raginrapids
Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPNdeportes
now that is dedication....I don't dip quite that far back lol!!
Lol part of it is because I want to see how some guys careers play out as opposed to their real life counterpart. Example being Right now in Madden 04 Joey Harrington is flat out dominating. He was traded to the Eagles mid way through the second year of the Franchise and he's been posting 35+ Touch down seasons left and right. It's like some awesome alternate reality dimension.

I have no idea what possessed me to pick up Madden 08 again but It's been a lot of fun so far. My team is stacked. Champ Bailey, Troy Polamalu, Sean Taylor and Darrell Revis make up the core of my secondary. My Receivers are Larry Fitz and Megatron. My running back Is Peterson and my QB is Rodgers. Back in 08 some of these guys were rookies/unknowns. I'm having way more fun with these past versions than I'm having with current day games

Speaking of older games though what were some of the best 360 titles? I never bought games outside of the major sports and the occasional Call Of Duty. Figured now would be a good time to try them all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »