Home

I just cant believe how PLAYABLE NHL 2K8 is...yes 2K8!

This is a discussion on I just cant believe how PLAYABLE NHL 2K8 is...yes 2K8! within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 17
I just cant believe how PLAYABLE NHL 2K8 is...yes 2K8!

Its amazing the test of time this game has stood. When I think about how off the public reviewers were in sports games, I think of 2K8 and I think of NHL 2011. ( I dont want to get into how overly praised NHL 2011 is) but I do want to discuss how 2K8 was just so underappreciated by so many inexperienced sports video game writers.

Yes, I do understand that there were some issues with the game's AI and the newly introduced control scheme (which is easily changed to Pro Classic and becomes absolutely stellar) but the things that this game DOES do right is head and shoulders above anything that we even have out on the market today!....and that is by BOTH EA ....and...'ahem'...2Ksports.

However, To really appreciate it, you need to be away from it a while, playing both of the companies current Hockey offerings for a while.

Then you need to tweak some sliders and you can have an almost beautiful rendition of the NHL sport we watch on tv moreso than any of the other games.

I mean I was simply amazed at the ebb and flow of this game how it realistically portrays real hockey. From the battle to penetrate neutral ice , to the most realistic sensations of taking wristers, snap shots, slappers, quick flicks and off target backhanders that lack mustard. The controls (on Pro Classic mode) and animations wonderfully convey this feel and struggle to get off these variety of shots accurately to the net.

There are just so many little relationships and attention to details that most gamers wont even notice how deep this game tries to capture the sport. The way the goalies will realistically fall to the ice and desperately lunge and flail to game control and reposition themselves which also leaves areas of the net open to only have a low accuracy shooter miss an easy flick to the corner of the net is simply a joy to experience.

All the extra attributes such as shovel, nerve, composure, Star Quality, etc that play a subtle but noticeable difference making up for a variety of dynamic situations is a true testament of the team's love and experience of the sport.

No hockey game I have played had the right balance of really rewarding me with the feel of accomplishment as I was able to string a series of passes around the offensive zone and then kick it back to an uncovered defender at the top of the point who pauses to receive the pass...lines it up and unleashes a lazered slapper to the top corner of a screened goalie that sends the puck rattling around and back out of the net.

Sure this can be done in other games, but just not with the same sense of satisfaction when it can be realistically pulled off to perfection.

The freedom of total right stick movement seperate from your player's motion was also fantastic. The ability to defend and poke the puck free was also done very realistically and dynamically.

I can simply go on and on about all the wonderful elements of this game and all the little things it did right....but I'd rather go play another game in my new Franchise with the 2011 360 rosters that are floating around here.

This game is just so underappreciated....and I felt the urge to discuss it. Perhaps Im simply off base with these observations. What do you think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: I just cant believe how PLAYABLE NHL 2K8 is...yes 2K8!

I think we played different versions of 2k8, mine had crappy controls, brain dead AI and a broken franchise mode.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

hahahahahaha

2k8 had some of the best controls in a hockey game ever. decent AI (compared to NHL 11 etc) and a great franchise mode. deeper than anything any game has to offer to this day.

i think you may just need to check out the NHL 94 section, bc that seems like the best game for you.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14
X
https://x.com/Fiddy14_

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

I thought the controls were a bit too cumbersome, and the check-happy AI was way too over the top --- it consistently left the AI-controlled players out of position and led to too many odd-man rushes and goals.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

I think 2K8 was a good game, but not great by any means. If not for the Franchise freeze issue and the over aggressive D, it may have been great. I never thought the controls were that bad, even when I first bought the game. I prefer analog, but 2K8's suffice. All that said, if there was some work around for the franchise freeze without having to play with injuries/trades off the entire year, I would enjoy 2K8 enough to play it. That and 2K10 are my only choices at the moment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

AI controlled players not doing their job = sports game killer.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
AI controlled players not doing their job = sports game killer.
So you're not playing any sports games at the moment huh, because I know they don't do what they are suppose to in NHL 11 and they don't any other sports games that I've seen either.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
So you're not playing any sports games at the moment huh, because I know they don't do what they are suppose to in NHL 11 and they don't any other sports games that I've seen either.
I dunno, I actually don't hate 11's AI, its not perfect by any means but it at least knows what positioning is and what a proper break out is. If you have to go D to D to get out you can. 2k's game once you have the puck the 4 other players sprint out of the zone instantly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »