Home

Can I get an explanation of the 3-2-6 defense?

This is a discussion on Can I get an explanation of the 3-2-6 defense? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
Can I get an explanation of the 3-2-6 defense?

I cannot find any good info on it ANYWHERE it seems and I want to run it.

Can someone tell me what exactly is out on the field?

I figure it's 2 DE, a NT, 1 MLB and 1 OLB (right or left though?) But I have no clue what the defensive backs are? Is it 2 CB/2 FS/2 SS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Can I get an explanation of the 3-2-6 defense?

I've used it once before, and you get your RE/DT/LE, MLB/ROLB, 4 CBs, a FS and SS.

It's not very strong against the run, but there are some plays where 2 of the CBs line up close to the line so it almost looks like a 3-4. The key is the line, you need to think 3-4 ends and NT. The LBs need to be quick too (over 80 speed for sure.) so they can get to the ball carrier quickly, esp on outside runs because you'll find that backs like Shaun Alexander will plow through your cornerbacks like their children unless they're great tacklers.

There's a lot of decent cb blitzes, and if you're sure it's a run, it's pretty important to adjust to "show blitz" or "press" to bring the DBs closer to the line.

It doesn't start off strong, and if you just cheat and add 20 plays to it you're defeating the purpose of running it. I did let my one franchise "steal" a few (3 I think) 3-4 plays I got at the 2 minute warning just for the heck of it, and only 'created' two plays at the season's start - one a LB QB spy and one a DB QB spy. It starts with like 44 or 45 plays, I think I got it to 50 by the end of the year. It was a rebuilding team (of course) so there was a lot of guys who didn't master the book as I was drafting/signing/cutting/trading/etc throughout the career. I don't intend to grow it past 50 though, I want to keep it pretty simple.

let me know if you use it, or have questions, etc. Almost no one uses it, or really commits to it - so it'd be cool to see how someone else does with it.

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 06-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

Pairing a 3-4 and 3-2-6 would be a pretty good idea

Just call me Sanchez
Old 11-30-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Rookie

AnchiKai2's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm looking into running a franchise using the 3-2-6 playbook. Any suggestions on philosophies and ideas to run it smoothly?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Rookie

Toastandtoaster's Arena

OVR: 0

I would assume, big strong run stuffing D-line, quick lbs, good tackling cbs, a roaming fs, and run stopping ss. But I have never used this playbook, just a guess. Think a normal 3-4 setup with cbs instead of olbs. So the 2 slot corners would need to have great tackling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2021, 07:44 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I got back into HC 09 because I wanted to run this defense! I wanted to run this because it's similar to what Marcus Freeman ran with the Cincinnati Bearcats.

In this game, the base 3-2-6 plays are really going to screw you over if you don't make major adjustments. But, if you do, it can be a really great defense. So, here are my suggestions:

(1) These are the philosophies that I would recommend:

(a) DE - Run Defender, Versatile 3-4, Balanced, or Prototype;
(b) DT - Balanced or Versatile 3-4
(c) MLB - Speed / Coverage
(d) OLB - Speed / Coverage
(e) FS - Centerfield
(f) SS - (Any, though I go with Coverage)
(g) CB - Man / Ballhawk

(2) Adjust your DEs to pinch on the game's pre-loaded 3-2-6 plays. Naturally, your DEs migrate out to play outside shade (or heads up on the TE), where in a real 3-2-6, they should be playing more as 4i (or 5-tech). By "pinching" the line, you ensure that the A & B gaps are always plugged. Your LBs (and "box edge" players) are responsible for the C and D gaps then. If you don't do this, the opposing team just runs you to death off B gap for 8 yards a pop.

(3) You really want to assign in your depth chart CB #4 to be your most versatile defender (or a second SS).

(4) CB #3 is kinda up to your preference. If you want better coverage against slot defenders, you can substitute in a true slot corner. Personally, I just use a second natural SS. In the 2008 class, I use Keith Rivers (as the #4 CB) and Kenny Phillips (as the #3 CB), though you could use Craig Steltz in that role too, if you can't get both players.

(5) Your "starting SS" should really be a second zone coverage / "Centerfield" FS.

(6) Pressing with your DBs in man coverage will get you great results in this defense as it allows the defenses more exotic blitzes time to get home and your deep zone safeties time to make a play on the ball.

(7) It really helps if you build out some user created plays too. The game really only intended for this defense to be a secondary defense to a more standard alignment (i.e. 3-4, 4-3, 4-2,or 46), so it is missing a number of plays that can make this a potent defense. Namely, you need to create:

(a) Cover 2 Man (absolute must--as Man or Press Cover 3 should be your base coverages in the 3-2-6, if you plan on using this as a base defense);
(b) Cover 1 blitzes (with Man on the back end);
(c) Cover 2 Sink;
(d) Cover 3;
(e) Cover 4; and
(f) Cover 6.

(8) On those user created plays, make sure that you are either moving your DEs inside OR you are heavily slanting your DEs to attack those B gaps (unless your blitz calls for another option). Also, bring your CBs #3 & #4 closer toward the middle of the field (but still playing about 5 - 7 yards off the line of scrimmage), so that it has some more of a traditional 3-4 look. Your CBs #3 & #4 need to be able to pressure the Edge of the formation without being swallowed up but need to be close enough that they are a definitively in the box. Commonly, in HC09, these "edge defenders" end up too far outside the formation to be truly effective at giving a quality gap containment.

(9) Lastly, in real life (or more recent versions of Madden), adjust to flip any blitz play toward a WR in motion across the formation. This adjustment should blitz a "CB#3" or "CB #4" into the motion--containing the WR rush--and the hanging safety (on that side of the formation the WR is going to) should pick up the motioning WR in man. This eliminates interior LBs getting out of their proper run fits trying to chase a WR and eliminates the WR as a vertical receiving threat by having the safety over the top in man, while freeing your other safety into a deep zone defender role.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »