Home

Running the option

This is a discussion on Running the option within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Running the option

Whats up guys. I thought I would start a thread specifically about running the option in HC 09.

I don't know how many people have attempted to run it due to the running game being a little lacking in comparison to the passing game, however if attempted with the right type of players it can actually turn your offense into a running powerhouse that teams like the Steelers could only dream of.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Running the option

First off I would like to give insight on the QB type that I personally prefer for this offense.

You would think that a guy like Vince Young or maybe Josh Johnson would be the type to have at QB to successfully run this offense. However... the QB's that came with the game (not the draftpath QB's) are all specifically designed and coded to play a certain way. While these two QB's would do well for running the option they cannot throw for @#$%. As you choose your plays on offense the defense will slowly catch on to what you are doing and eventually will be stopping your attack. Now that you have to change it up, what are you gonna do... pass the ball. Unfortunately when you call a pass play on 3rd and 12 Vince Young decides to run and gets taken down shy of the 1st and out comes the punt team.

My point is... they are coded to run. The best type of QB i have found has been a guy like Troy Smith. In a perfect world you could maybe draft a guy like Mike Zazzali. These QB's are not actually designed to just take off and scramble, and their arm is very good in the event that you need to pass.

You could always just have the prototype pocket passing QB and a "scrambler" as your backup but the defense will catch on eventually why not have a guy that can be on the field EVERY play and for EVERY type be it pass or run?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Rookie

Minimum preferred ratings per position

Quaterback
SPD- 80 THP- 85 TRK- 50 INJ- 85
AGI- 80 THA- 85 ELU- 80 TGH- 85
ACC- 80 AWR- 85 CAR- 65 STM- 85

Halfback
SPD- 88 ACC- 90 AWR- 80 INJ- 85
STR- 65 TRK- 65 CAR- 85 TGH- 85
AGI- 90 ELU- 90 CTH- 70 STM- 85

Offensive Tackle

SPD- 70 ACC- 75 RBF- 85 INJ- 85
STR- 85 AWR- 85 STM- 85
AGI- 70 RBLK- 85 TGH- 85

Guard/Center
SPD- 60 ACC- 65 RBF- 85 INJ- 85
STR- 85 AWR- 85 STM- 85 ** Center should have min. 75 ACC**
AGI- 65 RBLK- 90 TGH- 85

I won't go in depth about WR's but a guy like Brandon Marshall or Dwayne Bowe are perfect. They can actually block and hold their blocks but that type of receiver isn't totally necessary.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Rookie

Another thing I would like to add is the playbooks that are preferred.

Miami, Jets, Michigan Spread, Spread Option and the Pistol Attack

Personally I use the Pistol Attack offensive playbook I find that it's quick passes mixed with the zone runs and counters are really good for complimenting the option attack from the QB.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Rookie

shadowman's Arena

OVR: 3
Have you ever tried running a traditional option playbook such as wishbone flexbone or wing t?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Rookie

my base PB is the pistol but i do have some plays from the wing t in it, but i have never used those playbooks themselves.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

my newest franchise, which I haven't said much about, is a franchise being built specifically for this.

Took the redskins (for a challenge). purposely tanking the 2008 season to get Zazzali. Not sure how I'm going to pay him, but I'll blow up that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks for the info. What are you go-to plays? Your bread-and-butter?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Rookie

In the pistol formation, for example, there are a bunch of option plays that I use but the one I use the most has 3 WR on the left and a TE on the line ( works great against 4-3 teams) against a 3-4 team I use the formation that has a TE slightly off the left tackle and a step or two behind the LOS, this option run works great at sealing the edge against those nasty 3-4 ROLB's.

As far as passing plays the pistol PB quick passes are great... all of them actually. Also I have had great luck in the Shotgun with my #1 WR (Brandon Marshall) switched out with my #3 WR (Earl Bennett). Doing this puts your #1 in the slot and they shred the secondary.

BTW the Shotgun formation in this PB has an option run as well that works great too.

Hope this helps!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »