Home

It's 2012... you're still playing this, aren't you?

This is a discussion on It's 2012... you're still playing this, aren't you? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Rookie

Hokie200proof's Arena

OVR: 4
It's 2012... you're still playing this, aren't you?

I don't think there's another sports game with more replay value than Head Coach 2009. I found it collecting dust (been playing Skyrim a lot) in the old game drawer and gave her a spin.

48 hours later I don't know what came of my weekend. This game, for all of it's many faults (the in-game action is ridiculously bad compared to the graphics, gameplay and physics of it's sister game Madden 2009... and Madden 2009 was a POS) I love this game.

WHYTF isn't this Madden's Franchise mode? Look at this forum! It's 2012 and we're all still playing and talking about this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: It's 2012... you're still playing this, aren't you?

i agree, i would literally pay almost anything ea wanted to sell this game at if they made another game
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Rookie

Winnipeg59's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie200proof
WHYTF isn't this Madden's Franchise mode? Look at this forum! It's 2012 and we're all still playing and talking about this game.
Agreed! Copy...Paste... If only it were that easy?!?

HC09 dynasty - Rebuilding the Raiders - "Russell Rulz"
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

HC does franchise mode better than Madden, if you take out the gameplay.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

The problem is that this game is a cult classic. those of us who enjoy it really really enjoy it, but we're nothing but a vocal minority. financially it doesn't make any sense for EA to make another one because they dont' think there are enough of us to sell any new potential head coach game to in order to even recoup costs, let alone make a profit. they're probably right.

as for making HC the franchise mode of madden? Considering your -average- madden fan, they probably view HC as too complicated and fear it would alienate the average player. they may be right on that too. a lot of people probably wouldn't take advantage of the ability to automate any part of the game you don't want to do, and just complain about all the "extra crap" (which, mind you, is the stuff we love) that the game makes them deal with when all they want to do is play football.

and finally, I love HC's "call the play, sit back and watch it" as well as "have your coordinators call the plays and sit back and watch them" modes, which last I checked madden took out years ago. they insist that I need to be the QB, and I am done with that.

Last edited by Skarecrow; 03-13-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Rookie

Hokie200proof's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow
as for making HC the franchise mode of madden? Considering your -average- madden fan, they probably view HC as too complicated and fear it would alienate the average player. they may be right on that too. a lot of people probably wouldn't take advantage of the ability to automate any part of the game you don't want to do, and just complain about all the "extra crap" (which, mind you, is the stuff we love) that the game makes them deal with when all they want to do is play football.

and finally, I love HC's "call the play, sit back and watch it" as well as "have your coordinators call the plays and sit back and watch them" modes, which last I checked madden took out years ago. they insist that I need to be the QB, and I am done with that.
I hear what you're saying... and I think that you're right sadly. I think the buggy, ugly and clunky "gameplay" of the HC's is what really drove the average Madden fan away in the beginning. Everything about the actual gameday gameplay sucks major balls. The player models look strange, the players behave differently if you watch vs. supersim (you can't run if you watch the play... you can't pass or play without INTs/Fumbles if you sim) and the presentation leaves a lot to be desired (I usually mute it so I don't hear my defensive coordinator lose his mind when we give up a first down).

I think the gameday gameplay was so bad, most regular madden fans, myself being one of them at the time, put it down immediately. It was also seriously broken on the release. I got it as part of the 20th anniversary or whatever pack along with Madden '09. The game had serious bugs (the save after Tuesday leading to huge FA demands bug... the music/sound cutting out... the sound BLASTING randomly... the game slowing to a crawl and then freezing) which probably wiped out another group of casual gamers.

The timed elements were also very strange. Anyone notice how you have about 15 seconds to decide certain important options and then you have nearly two hours to set your inactives list? And trade negotiating? I understand having a time element involved during the draft (and that should be as long as you've got left to pick), but if it's the off-season of before the deadline, why do you only have 2 minutes to work out a deal with six potential bidders?

We have pushed past these issues because the game, beyond these faults, is a great take on a simulated NFL GM/coach mode that could fit easily into the next iteration of Madden. The Madden fanbase is also getting a little more mature (theoretically). Some of us have had EA game since the Genesis or SNES. When we were kids it was all about arcade action. Now our tastes are changing. They should have a separate mode for it just like they do for NHL. You've got choices there from Playoffs, Season, Franchise AND Be a GM. Make this the Be A GM mode for Madden. If you don't want to do it, then you don't have to.

I don't know. Maybe we need the guys who did Kony to spread awareness of HC and its hidden awesomeness. Because you really need to put up with some stupid stuff to get to the great parts of this game. Or maybe take this all to another game maker and have them run with it. Money waiting to be made.

Last edited by Hokie200proof; 03-13-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

I'm still playing it because it's the best (and most fun) franchise mode I've ever played; for any sports game.

However, it leaves a lot to be desired and it scares away casual fans. But who cares, it's nice to have a game for the football nerds.

BTW, go vote in that best game of all time thing for HC09. Maybe together, we can pull an upset over FIFA 10.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

OVR: 1

I recently did what you guys did and pulled it out of a box and started playing it. I forgot how obsessing this game can be. It takes forever to get through a game and heck get through an entire season but watching the rewards you get from the scouting and the coaches progression is really rewarding to me.

I tried to finish my Seahawks Dynasty but I was fired. I was in Salary Cap Hell and couldn't get out. Ooops my mistake. I knew it was only a matter of time but it was fun while it lasted. I started a new Dynasty with the Raiders. I lasted a year and was fired after only having a 15 Approval. Good thing too cause I got the job with the 49ers who went 0-16 and cleaned house. I lost Singletary but thanks to the help of this forum I landed a few key coaches and didn't have to give up control off anything. I changed the Philosophies and chugged on my way. I landed a few key players in the draft....thanks Jack English and the rest of the class....and am looking up as my 49ers have soared to the 1st Super Bowl title in years for the 49ers. My coaching staff is slowly getting better and I am looking forward to finding some real gems in the draft. I traded my 1st and 2nd for next years picks and some late rounders. Lets hope I continue this domination and continue to have a good Dynasty.

Man I love this game!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »