Home

NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports FC 25 Review: We Need to Go Back to Formula
The Pain and Misery of Simulated Stats
EA Sports College Football 25 Guides, Explainers, and Tutorials

Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #345
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

Just won a game at the buzzer with VC - corner 2

had 3.7 sec to go, Carter got the ball and released i substantially quicker than his usual release to let it fly in time

is this contextual? is it connected to players having different release points or am I imagining things?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #346
MVP

OVR: 25

Everytime I tried to cross Kobe with PetriusI got stripped, lost the ball or had it stolen. Great stuff. Like it was said by the devs - you got to pick your matchups.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #347
MVP

OVR: 11

Has anyone blocked a shot from behind like on a fastbreak? When I try the player just jumps straight up like an idiot and not toward the player for a block. It seems like once there past you there is no lunging block. I mean we have all seen some of Lebron's and Wade's blocks... they get after you not just jump straight up.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #348
Pro

OVR: 7

After playing 15 or so games, I'm not really sure what to think. The dribbling moves are fantastic and the shooting is improved, but there are a few big negatives that stand out in my mind.

The defense is terrible. It's near impossible to stay in front of your man. On occasion, it feels like the offensive player goes straight through the defensive player. And when I'm on offense, I'll work the ball around to get an open shot with an established shooter, and he misses way too often. On the flip side, the CPU makes the open shot 8 out of 10 times. Maybe, that's a little too often, but an open shot it an open shot. I'd rather be rewarded for taking the open shot instead of shooting 4 of 10 in those spots, if I'm lucky. To me, on All-Star, the CPU has a clear cut advantage.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #349
MVP

OVR: 19

i knew the rim seemed too big - i just saw two balls go through at the same time in the shoot around. Maybe it is just the demo?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #350
Rookie

OVR: 14
For everybody who is waiting for the PS3 demo, my thougts:

Presentation:

From the front-end menus to the transition animation splashes, everything is really sharp and well executed. The in game stats layout is very elegant as well, never getting in the way of the on-court action. Overall, that's an area where I thought EA always did a better job than 2K. If you played NBA Live 2005, you will see that the Live 10 menus are very reminiscent from that game (wich by the way, was the last NBA Live prior to this one that Ryan Santos was involved).

Graphics:

I've read some people complaining about it being too "cartoonish". Well, that's a point of view and it must be respected. In my opinion, people tend to think that way because the color palette used in the game is really vibrant. While 2K goes with a more real and sober flat look in terms of colors, Live assumes a more stylized look. I like it a lot, but it's definitively a personal matter. On the other side of the coin, I disagree with some reports about the player models. They are spot-on in terms of proportions and face-wise. Overall, I think this is a beautiful game to look at.

Sound:

The atmosphere in the stadium is terrific. The organ at the Staples really add to the experience. Overall sound fx are the regular fare. I don't have a problem with the rim effects. Marv and Steve could dig a bit more into the Game Storyline wich is revealed at the start of each game, but the demo has a disclaimer saying that in the final build they'll have a lot more to say so, we'll have to wait on that.

ps: the overall technical quality of the sound wasn't excellent. I don't know what it might be but I had that same feeling when playing Madden 10 as well.

Gameplay:

Before playing this game you have to forget everything you knew about previous Lives. The controls are very different and, as the CZar already stated, the game does have a learning curve. Once you get comfortable with the new mechanics everything starts to shine. The animations are great. Shooting (for me) is the highlight of the package. Never before I felt so much control while shooting the rock in a basketball game. Shooting just feels great. I only missed the ability to change your shot in mid-air (dunk to layup). I felt rebounding (a sore thumb in every Live) was very rewarding if you really focused on it (grabbed 8 rebounds in game with D-12 playing on All-Star leveI). I won't dig any further into gameplay (offense, defense, etc) because others already did it, but the feel of the game is amazing. My biggest complaint was playing the passing lanes. Never felt like I could snatch those careless passes out of the air.

Overall:

Regardless of weather Live is the new king (wich would be foolish to state since no one played 2K10 up to this point), it's definitively back. The game is so much fun. I could spend tons of hours solely working on my game at The Hangar. I believe it has the ability to become something trully special next year (just like what happened with the NHL series from 07 to 08).

Thanks Marcus, Mike, Garreth and the rest of the dev. team.
See you guys online on October 6th.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #351
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy
After playing 15 or so games, I'm not really sure what to think. The dribbling moves are fantastic and the shooting is improved, but there are a few big negatives that stand out in my mind.

The defense is terrible. It's near impossible to stay in front of your man. On occasion, it feels like the offensive player goes straight through the defensive player. And when I'm on offense, I'll work the ball around to get an open shot with an established shooter, and he misses way too often. On the flip side, the CPU makes the open shot 8 out of 10 times. Maybe, that's a little too often, but an open shot it an open shot. I'd rather be rewarded for taking the open shot instead of shooting 4 of 10 in those spots, if I'm lucky. To me, on All-Star, the CPU has a clear cut advantage.
I agree, playing defense is difficult. I don't feel like I'm really getting up on the ball handler. I feel like I'm just standing in front of him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #352
Rookie

OVR: 3

i always been a "ill buy live when the price goes down fan"

but this year live has got me thinkin of buying both nba titles on oct 6...

game moves great... presentation is amazing... controls are good

and i love how DWIGHT HOWARD dunks with authority in the paint... he bodys people around for boards... this was missing from live and 2k last year...

2 thumbs up for live

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »