Home

NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #1441
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

After adjusting the speed of the game, and really concentrating on what I'm trying to accomplish on the court, I've found myself very "comfortable" with the game. I'm sure that the full release will be drastically better, but I do have one major concern that I'm not sure has been brought up before.

Is anyone else kinda erk by the lack of "Weight Distribution" and "Gather Animations" in the game?

I know when guys talk about sliding, I never really get what they're saying aside from what I possibly figure is the way Live players move without much force. The whole foot-planting and momentum based systems don't make much sense to me if I can't feel it. These are (to me) most prevalent on the defensive end and in the rebound game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #1442
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I think what Pared is trying to say is that their are some perimeter defenders that play with a physical style such as using their hands, bumping a guy or even bodying up on a player.

Ron Artest is more of physical perimeter defender as opposed to a guy who has quik feet like Devin Harris out in space.

There are some guys because of reputation who can get away with being more physical on the perimeter than others. Jason Kidd is another guy who uses his size and strength to try and impede a guys progress.

The problem in the demo is that PHYSICAL PLAY is limited inside or outside because the game doesn't have much physicallity or a sense of player weight being utilized.

That might have been corrected already in the final version.....but i think that is what Pared was trying to say from his reading post.

Right now Live rewards you from moving your feet but there are other defensive tactics certain guys use to their advantage because they aren't great defenders based on foot speed alone.

I'd like to see a guy like Harris actually draw charges out in space since he does a great job of beating guys to a spot and then i'd like to see someone like Artest physically stop and offensive player because o his stength not because of his feet because Artest has never been a guy that beats you with foot movement he's always played guys physical and pushed them aound and i think we all know that Bruce Bowen used a combination of both foot movement and physical play.

Maybe in the future they could categorize guys differently as defenders

Physical Defender
Smart Defender
Quick Defender
Kinda like how Madden seperates their defenders by category
Check out this video and let me know who makes contact FIRST

Old 09-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #1443
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I agree with pared in the sense that defense controls can always get better. I also agree with Born on the need for better execution from your AI teammates.

I do disagree on the premise that because more can be added to the defensive controls, that the defense is not now adequate enough to replicate realistic man on man defense. I am not saying that to say that is what Pared is saying.

Simply put I am enjoying the challenge of playing on ball defense this year. In the no handcheck era of the nba I don't believe the type of defense control to "force" offensive players in a direction would necessarily be a simulation of the nba game.

More tools are always welcome but at this point when playing I don't find myself at the mercy of the offense anymore than when playing real life basketball. You are free to overplay a side and with the right defender cause contract to encourage the offensive player to go to one side or the other.

So I am not of the opinion that the defense can't be improved. I do believe though that we have to tools necessary to have a balanced game of offense vs defense with the exception of our AI teammates who need to play more like themselves when not in our control.
Thank you Czar!!!!!!! 100% Co-signing
Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #1444
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

Just had a play where Bynum got hit on a layup and fell to the ground, still made the shot. I was inbounding, Nelson was going down the court and hopped over Bynum. Carter threw the ball in anyways and Bynum was able to get it, went in for a layup as Carter fouled him. I thought that sequence was so true to life. Nice touch right their.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #1445
Pro

OVR: 10

I'm glad you posted that video. It's nice to see that type of defense since it doesn't happen often enough in Live. When Aretest jumped, he jump towards Ginobli, or where the offensive player going. In the live demo sometimes, not all the time, my defender will jump straight up in the air, or even worse, in the opposite direction.

Last edited by TheKasmar; 09-24-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #1446
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpSoloSr
After adjusting the speed of the game, and really concentrating on what I'm trying to accomplish on the court, I've found myself very "comfortable" with the game. I'm sure that the full release will be drastically better, but I do have one major concern that I'm not sure has been brought up before.

Is anyone else kinda erk by the lack of "Weight Distribution" and "Gather Animations" in the game?

I know when guys talk about sliding, I never really get what they're saying aside from what I possibly figure is the way Live players move without much force. The whole foot-planting and momentum based systems don't make much sense to me if I can't feel it. These are (to me) most prevalent on the defensive end and in the rebound game.
I think they scrapped the footplanting system this year. It's too bad because I thought it was nice and the sliding was definetly eliminated with that system.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #1447
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I think they scrapped the footplanting system this year. It's too bad because I thought it was nice and the sliding was definetly eliminated with that system.
It definitely shows on the defensive end. I can't stay in front of Dwight 10ft. from the basket without losing control of my defender...no offense to Dwight fans.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #1448
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
THANK YOU CZAR.

Without getting into a lengthy drawn out response.

I just want to ask you guys what exactly do you think defense is...and how can you nto play adequate defense in this game.?? what OTHER controls do THINK you need?

You can funnel the ball handler into your D, into the baseline, you can play angles (and it matters), you can 'bait' them into taking a shot you want, you can contest jumpers...you can strip the ball during layups, you can play 'physical' defense...

Im really trying to figure out what else do you guys think you need to do in order to play effective d...Theyve given us all the damn tools.

The ONLY thing im waiting for is for the first game to make the ball its own object (even during animations) and reward the user with proper timing, allowing them to knock it out during reach ins, so thats not so random "flip a coin".

sometimes i swear to god people just like to complain to complain.
Great post. The cheesers are not feeling the defense, lol. Now they got to man up and play realistic defense. The sad part is they thought they had been playing real d, and now they refuse to adjust and instead they fuss about something that is fixed.

They want it broken again. LOL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »