Home

Honest opinion of Live 09 quality

This is a discussion on Honest opinion of Live 09 quality within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Honest opinion of Live 09 quality

Thinking about it lately, and realizing the fact that I haven't even played Live 2009 -- not even a demo is really a mark of how much I've changed my spots. Ever since NBA Live 2007, which I felt was an epic flop, I've turned on the Live series and become a 2ker. When I got my PS3 I initially bought Live 08 and enjoyed it somewhat -- it was definitely an upgrade from the previous year, but when I got 2k8 there was no competition. 2k8 was one of the funnest games I've ever played, so I copped 2k9 and was done with it.

But I almost feel strange because of it. I grew up on NBA Live. That has been hands down my favorite game every year as a kid, and I feel weird turning on it to the point of not having played it this year. 2k as a series is still fantastic, but I feel as they become the public favorite, they've gotten more main stream. They ditched 24-7 mode, which was one of the aspects that made them, and the discontinuing of College Hoops stopped the draft class imports, which was what made 2k8 an infinitely fun game. So I'm left wondering, what's it looking like on the other side? I feel like I'm checking up on an ex-girlfriend, because I really wanna know people's honest opinion of Live 09, its features, the direction in which the series is going, and how people feel all of this measures up with 2k.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Honest opinion of Live 09 quality

I was in the exact same boat.

Long time Live fan, but have gone with 2k the last couple years. NBA Live 09 got us one step closer to greatness (I bought both 09 and 2k9). Still not quite there in my opinion, as I had a couple complaints that seem to be getting fixed for '10, but the core gameplay is getting there. I think 2k9 was overrated, it's age started to show too. Live felt more next gen, but needed a little more polish with some gameplay elements.

At least it's to the point where it was enjoyable, and you just had to weigh in the pros and cons of each game. The gap has narrowed for the most part, and it was a matter of deciding which game's shortcomings you could live with more. Personally I enjoyed Live 09 better overall, although I had things from one game that I liked better in the other, and vice versa.

I *think* '10 will have me sticking with Live for good, and only renting 2k10.

I'm cautiously excited
Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06

Long time Live fan, but have gone with 2k the last couple years. NBA Live 09 got us one step closer to greatness (I bought both 09 and 2k9). Still not quite there in my opinion, as I had a couple complaints that seem to be getting fixed for '10, but the core gameplay is getting there. I think 2k9 was overrated, it's age started to show too. Live felt more next gen, but needed a little more polish with some gameplay elements.

At least it's to the point where it was enjoyable, and you just had to weigh in the pros and cons of each game. The gap has narrowed for the most part, and it was a matter of deciding which game's shortcomings you could live with more. Personally I enjoyed Live 09 better overall, although I had things from one game that I liked better in the other, and vice versa.

I'm cautiously excited
Co-Sign!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06

I'm cautiously excited

Agree. I left Live after Live 05, and starting playing 2k from 2k5 until now, because it was clearly better and more enjoyable.

I like what I see in Live 09, and didnt like what I saw out of 2k9 as much. Like you said, it s a matter of which game's shortcomings you can live with the most...and I can live with Live 09's more then I can with 2k9.

The game needs to get a smidge crisper, and their are exploits that need to be dealt with. Hopefully they build on what they started.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I agree with the previous post. I had both and I play Live 09 exclusively now. 2k has the visual aspects of a Real life game down pat. May be I am too old now I am 36 and the whole 2k Iso motion thing has never done it for me. But I always went back because it was just a better game than LIve. With 09 I think Live significantly closed that gap. I think what sold me on Live this season was I love the ability to drive and kick and the way the motion of the players as far as movement withouth the ball. Things in my opinion that I thought Live does better this season than 2K. Valid or not Live this season just held my attention more than 2K. I say this season because like a team building towards a championship, Live is showing the things you want to see out of an up an comer but will it completely translate to a championship. I hope so. They need to incomporate the roster transfer from Ncaa 10 to Live 10. PLEEEASSE!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod
I agree with the previous post. I had both and I play Live 09 exclusively now. 2k has the visual aspects of a Real life game down pat. May be I am too old now I am 36 and the whole 2k Iso motion thing has never done it for me. But I always went back because it was just a better game than LIve. With 09 I think Live significantly closed that gap. I think what sold me on Live this season was I love the ability to drive and kick and the way the motion of the players as far as movement withouth the ball. Things in my opinion that I thought Live does better this season than 2K. Valid or not Live this season just held my attention more than 2K. I say this season because like a team building towards a championship, Live is showing the things you want to see out of an up an comer but will it completely translate to a championship. I hope so. They need to incomporate the roster transfer from Ncaa 10 to Live 10. PLEEEASSE!!!!

Agreed on this part, and what the developers from Live and NCAA don't realize is this is their key to winning the basketball wars, once and for all. Because the truth is, this is where 2k exceeded them every year. And I truly believe that is why 2k9 seemed so effortless is because the lack of a College Hoops 2k9, kind of made the flash and glamour of the game seem less intriguing after a few weeks. People wanted to use that draft and couldn't. And then it also wasn't possible in Live 09 and NCAA 09. So the effect of this series, kind of seem like a shortcoming. When that one feature would have given this game more life, than expected.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
WW*/*FC C*mm*n*ty Mgr.

stephensonmc's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Agreed on this part, and what the developers from Live and NCAA don't realize is this is their key to winning the basketball wars, once and for all. Because the truth is, this is where 2k exceeded them every year. And I truly believe that is why 2k9 seemed so effortless is because the lack of a College Hoops 2k9, kind of made the flash and glamour of the game seem less intriguing after a few weeks. People wanted to use that draft and couldn't. And then it also wasn't possible in Live 09 and NCAA 09. So the effect of this series, kind of seem like a shortcoming. When that one feature would have given this game more life, than expected.
BS, I call BS

We DO realize how important it is, it's just priorities and work time. Because we haven't done it in next gen, it's different tech, different code, etc. That's work. We're trying to get our gameplay up to snuff BS.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

I seriously disagree, that's not near as big a deal as better graphics, animations, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »