Home

Thinking of getting this game. (Opinions needed)

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting this game. (Opinions needed) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Rookie

bleedcubbieblue25's Arena

OVR: 7
Thinking of getting this game. (Opinions needed)

Hello all.

I'm a big 2K fan, but as other people have said I'm looking for a new experience, plus 2K just has too much tweaking IMO on this years game. I shouldn't have to spend hours tweaking the game to make it realistic.

I've heard that with Live's DNA feature that LIVE actually plays like a true NBA Style game.

Just wondering if Live is worth the purchase and what are some advantages and disadvantages of it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also I have EA Sports NCAA Basketball 09 and love it if that matters. Thanks.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Pro

kwas676's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Thinking of getting this game. (Opinions needed)

365 actually does wht is suppose to do so no need to do team slider tweaks, superstars n teams play like they do irl, lots of nice features, practising plays in the practise gym is cool, dynasty mode is good not better then 2ks but not bad, superstar sig shots are well done, proable one of the best half cort game I ve see, great atmosphere in 4th qtr, marv and kerr are nice to hear.

The bad some ****** inside animations, some shots release are to fast, player authenticty is there just not *** deep as 2k gameplay has, can be more fluid, starting to find out which company will finnaly make a good ft system, cpu fastbreak but not enough, like every sports game online can be a cheese fest if hooked up with the wroung people. Players don't use the backboor enough, and 365 has its annoying moments. D might take some time to get use to.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Rookie

bleedcubbieblue25's Arena

OVR: 7

Another question will 365 update in my franchise as well?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedcubbieblue25
Another question will 365 update in my franchise as well?
Unfortunately it won't update your franchise or season. I am trading in 2K myself today. I've played both and I find Live is just more fun. My two cents.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Pro

kwas676's Arena

OVR: 9

The update u download will carry into ur franchise but ends there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedcubbieblue25
Hello all.

I'm a big 2K fan, but as other people have said I'm looking for a new experience, plus 2K just has too much tweaking IMO on this years game. I shouldn't have to spend hours tweaking the game to make it realistic.

I've heard that with Live's DNA feature that LIVE actually plays like a true NBA Style game.

Just wondering if Live is worth the purchase and what are some advantages and disadvantages of it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also I have EA Sports NCAA Basketball 09 and love it if that matters. Thanks.
if you can find it for less than $30 then yes it's worth a purchase, but at $50 or $60 bucks no way.

i really tried to like this game, and gave it an honest chance but the controls felt really stiff and the atmosphere is just really boring.

i applied tombas formula(good job tomba) and it did help with the game play a bit, but the problems run deeper than what sliders can fix.
it's definitely an improvement over the previous versions but it's still not there, which is a shame considering the franchises long history.

as for tweaking:
-live has dna and 2k has living rosters which are pretty much the same thing.

-both games require tweaking, but the beauty of them both is you can go online and download slider sets and apply them leaving you with more time to play.
the big difference in the 2 games is once you apply the tweaks nba 2k stands head and shoulders above live.

nba live is still a year or 2 away, and with the team that they have in place i'm sure they will make it.

Last edited by mr_president; 01-01-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
if you can find it for less than $30 then yes it's worth a purchase, but at $50 or $60 bucks no way.

i really tried to like this game, and gave it an honest chance but the controls felt really stiff and the atmosphere is just really boring.

i applied tombas formula(good job tomba) and it did help with the game play a bit, but the problems run deeper than what sliders can fix.
it's definitely an improvement over the previous versions but it's still not there, which is a shame considering the franchises long history.

as for tweaking:
-live has dna and 2k has living rosters which are pretty much the same thing.

-both games require tweaking, but the beauty of them both is you can go online and download slider sets and apply them leaving you with more time to play.
the big difference in the 2 games is once you apply the tweaks nba 2k stands head and shoulders above live.

nba live is still a year or 2 away, and with the team that they have in place i'm sure they will make it.
I disagree. I came from the "other side" and haven't looked back. I can go on forever on why but it's not going to change your opinion

About the sliders part, that's where I disagree the most. People on the 2k forums are STILL tweaking and trying to figure out major issues with the gameplay. Their sliders are all over the place, varying differently between the hundreds of slider sets. I did my own and it was "OK" overall, but all of them had major issues. There's core design flaws from the developer in 2k9 that just results in "broken" play and some way off stats and gameplay. I can go on forever. Sure, there's some bad things about Live, but none of them detract from the gameplay experience. It's mostly animation issues etc.

Last edited by pbz06; 01-01-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
I disagree. I came from the "other side" and haven't looked back. I can go on forever on why but it's not going to change your opinion

About the sliders part, that's where I disagree the most. People on the 2k forums are STILL tweaking and trying to figure out major issues with the gameplay. Their sliders are all over the place, varying differently between the hundreds of slider sets. I did my own and it was "OK" overall, but all of them had major issues.

there's some bad things about Live, but none of them detract from the gameplay experience. It's mostly animation issues etc.
i have a set for 2k and the game really shines for me, i tweaked and tweaked nba live and while there was fun, it was still something sorely missing.

and i would think that animation issues would be a bigger distraction on gameplay more than a missed/improper stat.

.....but hey,the OP is looking for your opinion of the game, not your opinion of my opinion so help him out...

Last edited by mr_president; 01-01-2009 at 05:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »