Home

2k21 PC version not using new engine. Bummer.

This is a discussion on 2k21 PC version not using new engine. Bummer. within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-30-2020, 11:15 PM   #9
Rookie

m29a's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2k21 PC version not using new engine. Bummer.

Yeah I don't think mods will fully compare to next gen. I think there will be a considerable step up with stuff like lighting, shaders, asset quality that will look more striking than mods.

And that isn't even factoring the vastly increased load times due to being designed around SSDs, and perhaps more fluid animations.

Mods are cool, but can only make so much of a difference. I've seen videos of modded 2K20... and yeah I dunno. Just looks OK.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
i have to disagree a little yes u might get better mechanic but that we have to wait and see cuz it still up to sony and microsoft to implement it. as for graphics i seen the trailer and the graphics looks just like what i have with my mod. bro if u dont have mods u cant tell me what the mods can bring to the table. trust me my game has improved graphically with mods and if u do have mods u not downloading the right mods

Why is it up to Sony and Microsoft in what engine a game developer will implement? What are you talking about? Yes of course the game can improve graphically with mods, but not nearly as much as with a new engine caused be the developers finally using newer hardware. I mean, just look at the step that 2k made from PS3/Xbox 360 to PS4/Xbone One. You cannot tell me that Ps3/Xbox 360 (like in 2k14 with mods) looks anywhere near as good as 2k15.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #11
Rookie

Mortimus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
Yeah I don't think mods will fully compare to next gen. I think there will be a considerable step up with stuff like lighting, shaders, asset quality that will look more striking than mods.

And that isn't even factoring the vastly increased load times due to being designed around SSDs, and perhaps more fluid animations.

Mods are cool, but can only make so much of a difference. I've seen videos of modded 2K20... and yeah I dunno. Just looks OK.
Just look ok? I have no idea what mods you have seen? I been a console guy my whole life and switched to PC last year and mods make a huge difference. Even when the next gen console comes, out PC will have mods to improve upon that. It's always a step ahead and always will be. This is not coming from "PC Master Race" talk as I love console. I can't wait to play ps5 with my 77 inch LG Cx. That's going be awesome but even with that, PC will always be a step ahead in graphic fidelity and adding extras in the game. NBA 2k20 unmodded vs modded is a vast difference and it's not close

Last edited by Mortimus; 08-02-2020 at 09:59 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #12
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

i just add this last thing and im leaving. for god sake i have the bubble in my nba 2k. like come on these mods are crazy. im playing in the actually court in florida..i cant play sports games now on console. i been spoil by mods. lol

https://www.youtube.com/@mr_too_soon
Old 08-03-2020, 01:53 AM   #13
Rookie

m29a's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimus
Just look ok? I have no idea what mods you have seen? I been a console guy my whole life and switched to PC last year and mods make a huge difference. Even when the next gen console comes, out PC will have mods to improve upon that. It's always a step ahead and always will be. This is not coming from "PC Master Race" talk as I love console. I can't wait to play ps5 with my 77 inch LG Cx. That's going be awesome but even with that, PC will always be a step ahead in graphic fidelity and adding extras in the game. NBA 2k20 unmodded vs modded is a vast difference and it's not close
Here is a recent thread on OS that was discussing modded PC with a video. Many thought it didn't look amazing at all, at least not way better than without mods.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-gameplay.html

Specific video mentioned: https://youtu.be/1wkwYxSSPMQ

If you know of mods that look better, I'm interested in checking videos/screenshots of them. But if they look like that, I'll agree to disagree. I think saying that "NBA 2k20 unmodded vs modded is a vast difference and it's not close" is a massive exaggeration.

Also, many games (especially the big AAA ones) are typically designed around consoles as the baseline in mind. The combined playerbase of PS4+XB1 are over 150 million. That is a huge install base and while PC has grown a lot, it's still nowhere close (in terms of people with capable gaming PCs that can play at higher settings), especially considering sports fans are going to be on consoles not on PC because it's typically more casual based.

You can prove this by testing max settings 2K20 PC vs 2K20 PS4. There isn't any difference in texture, lighting, asset, shader quality at all. PC does have an advantage in that you can customize settings and get higher framerates/increase the resolution. They aren't going to purely design around PC and maximize it if the sales are much lower compared to the combined consoles.

I actually say all this as a PC only player. I haven't owned a console in several years. But regardless, if you enjoy mods that much, more power to you.

Last edited by m29a; 08-03-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
MVP

Da InFaMoUs NY's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
Here is a recent thread on OS that was discussing modded PC with a video. Many thought it didn't look amazing at all, at least not way better than without mods.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-gameplay.html

Specific video mentioned: https://youtu.be/1wkwYxSSPMQ

If you know of mods that look better, I'm interested in checking videos/screenshots of them. But if they look like that, I'll agree to disagree. I think saying that "NBA 2k20 unmodded vs modded is a vast difference and it's not close" is a massive exaggeration.

Also, many games (especially the big AAA ones) are typically designed around consoles as the baseline in mind. The combined playerbase of PS4+XB1 are over 150 million. That is a huge install base and while PC has grown a lot, it's still nowhere close (in terms of people with capable gaming PCs that can play at higher settings), especially considering sports fans are going to be on consoles not on PC because it's typically more casual based.

You can prove this by testing max settings 2K20 PC vs 2K20 PS4. There isn't any difference in texture, lighting, asset, shader quality at all. PC does have an advantage in that you can customize settings and get higher framerates/increase the resolution. They aren't going to purely design around PC and maximize it if the sales are much lower compared to the combined consoles.

I actually say all this as a PC only player. I haven't owned a console in several years. But regardless, if you enjoy mods that much, more power to you.
my rail-cam mod + the bubble mod

its night and day comparing current gen 2k20 and 2k20 with mods.

you have to factor in that youtube videos are compressed also and everyone uses different globals, lighthing and reshade presets. combining the wrong ones could lead to some weird looking graphics.

I will say this though 2k20/2k21 mods wont be able to come close to next gen 2k21.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:28 AM   #15
Rookie

HesiPullupJimbo's Arena

I was wondering about this. Very disappointing, but it probably wouldn't be worth it anyway.

Looks like I get to save $60 this year.

As for the mod/engine discussion, obviously the new engine is going to be better than anything a mod can do. However, consoles can't use mods.

I think this boils down to: buy the PS5 if you want or wait a year and play 2k22 on the PC.

Personally, I'm conflicted, because Naughty Dog only releases games for the Playstation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2020, 05:40 AM   #16
Rookie

Really surprising

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »