Home

Haven't played in a while looking back at previous years

This is a discussion on Haven't played in a while looking back at previous years within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Haven't played in a while looking back at previous years

I'm referring here entirely to PC with the exception of the early games.
I played NBA2K when it came out because I had bought a Dreamcast and we were all blown away by how many lightyears it's sports games had jumped ahead. Then off and on I'd try the 2004-2007 2Ks a bit but if I played basketball it was mostly College games. Now, I've recently played 2K19 and 2K20 and liked them. But I've been all this time a member of sites where communities talk about the games.

The point here is that I don't have the year by year experience with NBA2K that others have. And certainly not the way I have with several other sports franchises. So I'm not understanding something. There is a great deal of affinity for 2K11 and for 2K14. I've even heard people say 2K11 is the NFL2K5 of NBA games. However, when you go and read not only comments but also reviews, it's commonly accepted that 2K12 is 11 but better. And then that 13 is 12, with some issues, but overall better. And that 14 (previous gen) is the pinnacle of what anyone could ever achieve in a basketball game as seen, I think, by how much modding the community still does. Then from there it's pretty well accepted that 15 and on are all substandard in one way or another but mostly in gameplay.

So my question is, given that the progression is pretty well seen and accepted everywhere I've read as getting better and better until arriving at 14, what makes 11 still so valued compared to say 12 or 14? Keep in mind, if it helps, that I only ever play single player offline Season mode. Not even franchise and no other modes. Though I admit I love "NBA's Greatest".
Thanks for your thoughts. I want actual technical gameplay help here if you're able, not, "it was my first 2K game".

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »