Home

2K15 73% positive vs 2K16 41% (On steam)

This is a discussion on 2K15 73% positive vs 2K16 41% (On steam) within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: 2K15 73% positive vs 2K16 41% (On steam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosegoose
I'm in this category. I currently have a thumbs down for 2k16 on Steam (whereas I had no issues with 2k15), but I'll be more than happy to reverse it once I can get halfway reasonable performance.
Hmm? 2k15 was a stuttery mess last year as well but after the patch everything was smoothed out. If I recall we got the patch early as well last year.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Hmm? 2k15 was a stuttery mess last year as well but after the patch everything was smoothed out. If I recall we got the patch early as well last year.
Granted I didn't buy 2k15 at launch (maybe a month after?), but I never had issues with it. I was able to run at reasonable settings for my system with no real issues. With 2k16 I can't even run at minimum settings completely smooth.

Like I said, I'll be more than happy to reverse my review if/when 2k16 is fixed for me. In fact I look forward to it...but that doesn't change the fact that I absolutely wouldn't recommend it as is.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbb33
Fellow PC Gamer here, lets be honest. Sometimes the PC community can be a bit too harsh when everything doesn't go right.
Yep. Honestly most Steam reviews border on hysterical when a game doesn't launch perfectly. I guess it's just an easy way for the disgruntled to vent (whilst the happy are off actually playing the game in question). I don't think Steam ratings are overly effective for this reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
Banned

apollooff320's Arena

OVR: 9

game does have a ton of bugs but not to get a 41%. Most of those rating has to be with not booting up. Can you even read the reviews?
Old 10-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

This year there are several reasons that 2K16 earned poor reviews early:
  1. No Keyboard support - one of the biggest reasons for early negatives
  2. Stuttering - even on higher end machines.
  3. Early hacks online - people had 99 ovr first week out.
  4. Casual shock at ai improvements this year - some of the Steam forum threads were rage filled rants of the 3rd degree.
The stuttering issue this year is bigger than normal because more high end machines were having issues than normal. I also believe (but have no proof) that Windows 10 and driver issues are responsible for some of this. A lot of people did not know Windows 10 and Nvidia drivers had early issues and September was only one month out from those.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #14
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0

Another thing to consider with Steam is what the 41% actually says. Steam reviews are nothing more than "yes" or "no" regarding game recommendation, that 41% means that 41% of reviewers hit "yes." It's very much possible to be reasonable and not just mindlessly raging and not recommend a game...I think it's safe to assume that most of us would not recommend a game that was currently in a buggy and/or unoptimized state, as 2k16 was and still is for many.

I know I'm in this category at least. I'd be willing to wager that a decent chunk of those Steam reviews are as well. I don't know why many folks will update their reviews if/when the port gets up to par, but I suppose that's incentive for 2k to have smoother launches in the future.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Which it inevitably does for just about every PC title ever because they can't test 2343252353 different PC configurations as opposed to to just 2 or 3 for consoles.
Yet, many and more developers don't seem to have that problem and release games that function properly on consoles and the plethora of different PC configs. I'm not about to give 2K a pass here and I applaud the other members of the PC community for choosing not to do so as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
You want to see low Steam reviews, watch when Fallout 4 releases soon with all the technical and gameplay launch problems that Bethesda games are infamous for.
Skryrim - 91%(this was higher before the paid mods fiasco)
FO:NV - 96%
FO3:GOTY - 85%
FO3- 83%
Dishonored - 97%
Oblivion - 95%
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 90%
Wolfenstein: The New Order - 90%

They may be infamous for the bugs a lot of their open world games (which is inevitable with that game type) but they're also known for their PC support, releasing relatively timely patches to fix the bigger ones while allowing the community itself sorts out the smaller ones with mods. Unless something major happens I'd be surprised if FO4 had less than a 90% rating.

2K on the other hand is not known for supporting PC well(this title anyway) and from my perspective has gone out of it's way to kill the mod community. So in my opinion, this is not a case of the PC community being overly harsh, it's simply a case of a title getting what it deserves. As good a game of basketball 2k16 plays(when everything is working correctly), with the crashing, freezing, stuttering and other big issues there is just not enough of a guarantee that you will actually get to consistently experience it, let alone enjoy it.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Had no technical issues with NBA2K15 last year and I got the game on launch. And I was running on lower hardware and SLI configuration.

This year's version is a mess and it's no wonder they're getting backlash from the pc community. With some bugs being apparent after a couple of minutes of play, it's impossible that they properly QA'd this game or they knew and they Batman'd it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »