Home

Flaw with MyCareer's Foundation

This is a discussion on Flaw with MyCareer's Foundation within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5
Flaw with MyCareer's Foundation

There's a problem I have with MyCareer's foundation.

So I'm the player, obviously. If I'm supposed to be so good, a 4 year HS All-American, the top prospect in the nation...why am I not good at anything off the bat? If I'm really THAT elite, I obviously should be really good at something and definitely at the very least, an above average athlete. It just doesn't make sense. I'm a top-10 NBA pick with scrub OVR rating, yet in the story I'm supposed to be one of the all-time greats? Doesn't make sense to me.

I started as a 6'4 PG. If I'm really an elite prospect at PG like it says I am, then why do I start with such piss poor athleticism? I've upgraded to level 7 athlete yet my vertical is 55 and my speed/acceleration is 73? That's just not even realistic.

I feel like you should be able to choose what kind of prospect you are wanting to be and then the ratings should be adjusted accordingly. You should be able to choose your MyCareer starting as an elite prospect, average prospect, or under-the-radar prospect and the path to the NBA should be different for each story. Right now I feel like I am an elite prospect with an under-the-radar prospect's ratings. It just doesn't make any sense. Why are they even talking about me getting my own brand of Jordan's? I'm a 66 overall AFTER upgrading to level 6 shooter, level 3 inside scorer, level 7 athlete, level 5 playmaker, level 0 rebounder, and level 4 defender.

MyCareer is a great idea in theory, I just believe it was poorly executed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Flaw with MyCareer's Foundation

Also I just finished my first playoff game...why am I a free agent after this year? I was a top 10 pick...doesn't make sense.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

I agree. Seems like there was a split with the creative. I'd prefer to start as a guy working his way up, but the Spike Lee story doesn't match up with that at all. Hasn't hampered my fun with the mode much, but it is an eyebrow raiser for sure.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

The way they did the MyCareer this year must've really forced them to make some tough choices from a design-point of view.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Your premise is a bit flawed. The top high school player in a usual year isn't NBA ready while he's playing in high school. Meaning he wouldn't make an NBA roster during his senior year. 55 rating is appropo their.

Next during your 1 year in college you can get yourself into the 60's. Again apropo for a raw prospect getting drafted based off of potential.

After your rookie season your probably in the low 70's. Showing improvement.

For example I'm in my 2nd season about 15 games in and I'm rated a 77 overall. By the end of the season I'll be in the 80's most likely.

That would have you on path to have a huge 3rd season. That's very realistic in my opinion.

Basically you're Alex Len. A project player picked top 5 who won't have any business in a starting lineup until year 3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2015, 02:22 AM   #6
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

They want you to buy VC, I guess. I agree though that without the extra VC, there is a huge disconnect between the rookie year storyline, and your actual impact on games.

I appreciate what they tried to do with MC, but it's a bit of a flop for me. The HS and college parts are fun, but the story is cringe worthy and riddled with cliches and disjointed events. There is this big spiel about whether you declare for the NBA draft or not, and then the decision just happens behind the scenes, without fanfare or even any clarification until it is evident the decision was made for you. Honestly, it seems the entire point of the story is to try and make the Vic character relate-able, and has little to do with your character at all.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:14 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
There's a problem I have with MyCareer's foundation.

So I'm the player, obviously. If I'm supposed to be so good, a 4 year HS All-American, the top prospect in the nation...why am I not good at anything off the bat? If I'm really THAT elite, I obviously should be really good at something and definitely at the very least, an above average athlete. It just doesn't make sense. I'm a top-10 NBA pick with scrub OVR rating, yet in the story I'm supposed to be one of the all-time greats? Doesn't make sense to me.

I started as a 6'4 PG. If I'm really an elite prospect at PG like it says I am, then why do I start with such piss poor athleticism? I've upgraded to level 7 athlete yet my vertical is 55 and my speed/acceleration is 73? That's just not even realistic.

I feel like you should be able to choose what kind of prospect you are wanting to be and then the ratings should be adjusted accordingly. You should be able to choose your MyCareer starting as an elite prospect, average prospect, or under-the-radar prospect and the path to the NBA should be different for each story. Right now I feel like I am an elite prospect with an under-the-radar prospect's ratings. It just doesn't make any sense. Why are they even talking about me getting my own brand of Jordan's? I'm a 66 overall AFTER upgrading to level 6 shooter, level 3 inside scorer, level 7 athlete, level 5 playmaker, level 0 rebounder, and level 4 defender.

MyCareer is a great idea in theory, I just believe it was poorly executed.
Thats in madden. And its a great concept
Old 10-10-2015, 03:01 AM   #8
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
... MyCareer is a great idea in theory, I just believe it was poorly executed.
Originally, in 2010, you had the draft combine and then Summer League to try to make the NBA team of your choice. If you were good enough, productionwise you made the NBA team, if you were not up to par, you were sent down to a D-League team. After that, everything depended on your performance.

Then, over the years, they added the draft, endorsements and all the fluff.

This year, the story is you are a Michael Beasley type of prospect, except your issue is Vic and not Mary Jane...

Because your association with Vic broke the morality clause of your rookie contract, the second year of it was voided and you were sent into free agency.

So from the second year onward you are trying to reclaim your place in the NBA world.

I too agree that this year's execution leaves something to be desired. As you can see in my signature, I feel the real MC experience really does not start until year two.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »