Home

NBA 2k on PC vs. Next gen - Strictly offline franchise

This is a discussion on NBA 2k on PC vs. Next gen - Strictly offline franchise within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2023, 03:20 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NBA 2k on PC vs. Next gen - Strictly offline franchise

Asking for some input here. I'm a pretty casual NBA2k player on PS5. Sold the PS a while ago but still have a pretty high end PC to play on. Never tried NBA2K on a PC though.

How does the old gen, PC version match up against the next gen versions when strictly comparing playing the franchise mode offline? Does it miss any significant features and if so, what are they?

Graphics doesn't matter. Gameplay on court does, but only to a certain degree as I'm not very knowledgeable on the finer details of basketball.

Appreciate any input, thank's in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k on PC vs. Next gen - Strictly offline franchise

If you are a casual 2K player the Current Gen version will be enough to enjoy all the MyNBA features and not notice the gameplay. However if you are used to playing 2K on Next Gen you will absolutely notice the gameplay difference.

IMO $59.99 is a bit too much for what its offering compared to NBA 2K23 but then again NBA 2K23 is still $59.99. Maybe wait until theres a deal going on or the PC community has released a bit more mods.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:57 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL
How does the old gen, PC version match up against the next gen versions when strictly comparing playing the franchise mode offline?
I only play franchise mode offline. In every sport. To absolutely answer the question you would have to try it yourself and see how it feels. Go to youtube and search "NBA 2K23 PC gameplay". Watch gameplay

To give you my opinion, no, you will not experience any difference in the straight up offline experience of any NBA2K on PC vs on PS5 or whatever the last xbox is called. If your gameplay enjoyment is based on your need to see sweat and particle lighting and shading then by all means, go spend more money. But if you want the court action to be the primary focus, you'll be fine on PC except I would actually argue you're even better off in that case getting 2K14 on PC and getting one of several mods that completely updates the game to the current season.

One last thing.. Being an offline Season player only, how entertaining a game is during the season, references to stats, presentation elements, options for looking at stats and standings and so on during my season are all massively important to me. And that sadly is one thing 2K23 and the last few years to be honest have totally failed on. Once you stop playing a game, it's like your season is just not interesting at all. There's no attempt to give you news stories or elements that feeel like you're in the middle of a season with things going on. 2K14 and the games around those years ddid an amazing job with this. It's another thing that to me makes 2K23 boring to play all season.

Last edited by tinpanalley; 09-24-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:01 PM   #4
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley

One last thing.. Being an offline Season player only, how entertaining a game is during the season, references to stats, presentation elements, options for looking at stats and standings and so on during my season are all massively important to me. And that sadly is one thing 2K23 and the last few years to be honest have totally failed on. Once you stop playing a game, it's like your season is just not interesting at all. There's no attempt to give you news stories or elements that feeel like you're in the middle of a season with things going on. 2K14 and the games around those years ddid an amazing job with this. It's another thing that to me makes 2K23 boring to play all
This is a very good point. What 2K lacks is telling a story. They don't do that off the court and they don't even do it on the court.

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 09-26-2023, 10:32 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
This is a very good point. What 2K lacks is telling a story. They don't do that off the court and they don't even do it on the court.
Games used to do this better. It's not only current day 2K that is at fault. But it's why I go back to 2K14. It feels like you're watching a season. Stats are tracked, big matchups are referenced, holidays and playoff races colour the commentary. 10 years ago the goal was for the game to feel like the broadcast. And at some point people who don't watch sports on tv started making decisions about how a game should feel. That's when everything went downhill. Roughly around 2016/2017. Every sports game was better then. Only The Show sort of has kept that feel. It's why no matter how great 2K23 looks, it just feels absolutely dead.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »