Home

Defensive :Tips and Tricks Thread

This is a discussion on Defensive :Tips and Tricks Thread within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Cool Defensive :Tips and Tricks Thread

Everyone post your tips and questions!

Post Defense

1. Close the gap!
Spoiler

2. Block button leads to a lot fouls.
Spoiler

3. You're a guard defending a center?
Spoiler

4. Know the players . Seriously , learn their strengths and weaknesses.

5. So you want to Block?
Spoiler

6. If a Guard is coming at you full speed , don't jump! Hands up and/or close the gap!

7. You want the offense in front of you .
Spoiler

Please add Comments , Tips, Questions
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Pro

FloorGeneral's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Defensive :Tips and Tricks Thread

Good thread. One thing I can add, though it's more if you're getting killed by a particular player. Best way to not get killed by that player? Get him off the court.

I strictly play offline (as the Bucks), and have the most problems with Wade (he's murderous) and Durant. What I'll do, is go away from running plays for a bit, and just attack Wade relentlessly with Ellis to draw fouls. There was one game where he scored almost 30 points in only 20 minutes, but with the CPU's dumb substitution logic, had him fouled out by the time the 4th quarter came.

As far as Durant goes, I signed Millsap and Cousins in the off-season as Free Agents. I moved Ilyasova to the bench, start Millsap/Sanders/Cousins on the front line. I played OKC early on, and when Durant started heating up (16 on 8-10 in the 1st), I sent Millsap to the post. Durant couldn't guard him. Foul after foul. Westbrook picked up some slack, but without having to worry about Durant, I basically had it made.

So my tip is, if you have a guy that can get to the basket/work the post, use him to get a dangerous player in foul trouble. Maybe you think it's cheap because the CPU's substitution logic is trash, thus making it easier to foul them out, but it'll certainly save you from cussing at the TV when you're getting lit up for 50.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

Good tips. Yep lay off the y or triangle button and get in good position. If you have a guy like cp3 you can go for some pick pockets but like you said OP stripping the bigs with a guard is the best way to go. Its nice to be a great 1 on 1 defender but if you dont have the skills bring a defender from the weakside. If you are playing against another person it can work wonders. A lot of people have tunnel vision and like to over dribble and force passes inside while never noticing the open man left in the opposite corner. Close out hard on shooters but dont leave your feet. Post defense is my main problem. Some of those moves seem unstoppable. If I dont jump on the initial fake, you shouldnt be able to get me on an up n under(unless maybe you're luis scola)

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

Use your freaking coaching sliders lol. So many people don't use them.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Pro

WizardJay's Arena

Try putting your best defender on there best scorer, in the defense settings.

Will help big time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfF457JtYl0
Try to force them to the middle of the court. When you are defending at the middle of the arc back up so that you are defending the drive,but still close enough to contest a shot. Don't get beat on the drive down the sideline or baseline.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hear me now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfF457JtYl0
Try to force them to the middle of the court. When you are defending at the middle of the arc back up so that you are defending the drive,but still close enough to contest a shot. Don't get beat on the drive down the sideline or baseline.
I agree with keep a proper distance between the ball handler and defender, but in real life you never want a ball handler to get to the middle.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Pro

FloorGeneral's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I agree with keep a proper distance between the ball handler and defender, but in real life you never want a ball handler to get to the middle.
Yup. Thibs has made his defensive living on his ability to get his team to keep penetrators out of the middle. By giving the ball handler the middle, you're allowing him the entire court to make something happen. Forcing him towards the wing/corner limits his opportunities by a large margin.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »