Home

Having Trouble With Defending the Paint

This is a discussion on Having Trouble With Defending the Paint within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Having Trouble With Defending the Paint

Anyone have tips, any defensive settings that can help me? Tired of 60% of the opponents scoring being either uncontested drives to the hoop and put backs that always go in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Pro

chris11sg's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Having Trouble With Defending the Paint

I feel ya. My perimeter D is pretty good, just need to stop the PIP now.

Follow me!- www.twitter.com/chris11sg
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexsplows
Anyone have tips, any defensive settings that can help me? Tired of 60% of the opponents scoring being either uncontested drives to the hoop and put backs that always go in.
its an issue with the game, not really player error. when i play the cpu they get most of their points in the paint because they dont take enough jumpers and they pound the lane all game. against humans its easier to stop and defend but their are still flaws in the game that make post defense too hard. just horrible animations in the post really.

the only advice i can give you to stop post shots more is dont jump, just defense using L2. only press triangle to block when you are behind the guy. other than that, really not much you can do.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

One issue with this conversation about "paint defense" is defining what people mean when they say "the paint."

If they're talking about the lane as a whole, playing defense there is no different than playing defense anywhere else -- stay in front of your man and try not to bite on pump fakes.

But when people say "they can't guard the paint" they are usually saying they can't guard players who are right underneath the basket.

The truth is, 90 percent of guarding that area is keeping offensive players out of it in the first place. If a 7-footer gets the ball inside the charge circle, that is as high-percentage a shot as you can get in basketball -- there's not much the defense can do at that point.

The way you as the user can help to keep players out of there is by playing good fundmental defense everywhere else and limiting help situations as much as possible. Whenever you get a help defense situation, that leaves someone uncovered and the game is programmed to make uncovered players cut to the paint.

Keep a man in front of the ball as much as possible and that will allow everyone else on the defense to keep their bodies between their man and the basket area.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexsplows
Try using the D-Pad to select "Lock Down Paint." I've noticed it causes my big men to help and contest shots if my wings get beat off the dribble.

Also, you could try playing off-ball defense other players to help slide into the paint if your wings get beat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah, defending the paint starts with good perimeter defense. You have to keep from putting your teammates in a position where they have to rotate and help. Because once this happens, your defense starts scrambling, the CPU will work it into the paint, and because of some shot contact/contest/blocking issues in the game, it's almost a guaranteed 2 points once that happens. It's insanely difficult to contest/block putbacks, up-n-unders, and dunks in this game (even when you're in good position and don't jump your guy just gets shifted out of the way a good portion of the time).

So if you're getting frustrated by having trouble stopping guys once they get it on the block or in the paint, don't worry, it's not just you. If they do get the ball down low, hold L2, use the right stick to put your hands up, and just hope for the best. Every game, even great ones, have their quirks and defense in the paint happens to be this game's. Last year had the opposite problem where Ty Lawson could block Blake Griffin with his elbow without even jumping.

The key this year is to not get your perimeter defenders out of position to where your teammates have to rotate and get themselves out of position. This may mean that you need to play a little more conservatively. Back up off the ballhandler a little more (just not too much or they may pull it on you), don't gamble for too many steals, make sure you can keep everything in front of you, and then contest the outside jumpers with the right stick as best you can. And then, obviously, you have to rebound the ball well or you're going to give up a lot of second chance putbacks.

Last edited by Pokes404; 06-08-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Part of it is just poor game design, some of it is tendency sliders, some of it has to do with the roster you use (and if it has the individual players tendencies adjusted) AND lastly, playbooks...

Additionally, some of it is coach settings and human player technique...

That being said, lot of good info here:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...g-defense.html
Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Rookie

alburst's Arena

OVR: 1

It's annoying because most of these situations start from poor off-ball defense from your CPU teammates (I guard on-ball 95% of the time) because they don't stay in front of their man but let them cut into the paint, especially centers. Once they get in position to shoot, the animations kick in which make defending the shot pretty much impossible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »