Home

Online Ranked Users: Do You Still Look At NBA 2K As A Sim Game?

This is a discussion on Online Ranked Users: Do You Still Look At NBA 2K As A Sim Game? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
MVP

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Online Ranked Users: Do You Still Look At NBA 2K As A Sim Game?

This is for my rank NBA 2k players. I singled them out because we cross many different things in our travels - more times than not just a glaring hole in the NBA 2k armor.

We face zones that seem to work to well due to slow passing, superstars taking off from outside the paint to dunk on 2 shot blockers with a man on his hip, huge momentum swings to force the game to be closer than it should, poor inside contact and a host of other things. I'm sure my offline guys as well as strictly sim guys have seen some of these things but if you don't see this stuff constantly it doesn't seem to be a problem. If you see it as much as we do then you'll have to really use all 60 seconds of your timeout just to regain your composure - yes, its like that in our world lol.

I know these guys work hard to make a great game and are basketball fans but to me it seems like they are trying to straddle the fence that EA straddles - with realistic on one side of the fence and fun on the other. Long gone are the NBA 2k11 days in which you could pick a bad team and have a shot against a stronger team if you played good basketball. Now to compete online you have to tip toe the line of sim and cheese. I used to love picking a weak team against a powerhouse - now I have to hide my Sixer fan card and use teams like the Lakers to keep up with the Heat, Thunder and Clippers of the virtual universe.

Why? What happened? Am I the only one who is tired of giving 2k a pass? I honestly no longer look at NBA 2k as a sim standard. I was very high on this game at GamesCom but as I've had time to really sit and play this game over the winter it became more obvious that 2k has lost a step in the sim department.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8
Definitely not the only one that feels this way. Its no where near sim. They were on the right path with 2k11. Dont know what happened after that. But I do know it comes down to money more than anything else and trying to get a certain fan base. No competition definitely messes things up I dont care what anyone says.

This is just the flip side of the nfl game. No competition on that side and look what weve had to deal with for the last 7 or so years. I really do hope Ea makes a comeback and a strong one at that.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Online Ranked Users: Do You Still Look At NBA 2K As A Sim Game?

2k has never been anywhere near sim when it comes to online gaming - and it never will.

It's not the game itself, it's the players.

2 people can hook up and play sim ball any time, anywhere in this game, if both have the same virtual sportsmanship. Both are aware of the flaws and exploits of the game, but choose to play as realistically as possible - this is something that rarely EVER happens.

SIm comes second to winning online. Nearly. Every. Damn. Time.

It's why online gaming continues to be a plague pit of cheesers and abusers.

It woudn't matter if they tweaked the difficulty, or nerfed certain moves. Most gamers would still wash, rinse and repeat the same tired old crap to try and get a win, and if it doesn't work - then they quit. Never a pleasant experience.

Is 2k to blame...really? I mean, every game has its flaws, but 'decent' players like most sim heads will look past that when playing like minded people and play as close to real life as they can, ignoring the thousand pump fakes and spinning around constantly holding turbo blah blah blah. Problem is, there's not enough of us to make up the majority and clean the play of this game up.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quick ranked game was never sim.

If you want sim play friends on Hall of fame simulation sliders.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

2k is always one step forward, two step back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8
They need to being back lobbies. Its not all the time that you can play against a friend.

And 2k11 was close to it. Minus the spin dunk.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

As me being a sim baller i still love this game, a bad team still can beat a elite team, I only use the Cavs and Pistons and have a decent record 300-65, not to bad for facing 98% of elite teams online. Theres a way to beat anything, 131 zone trap, heck i even went up against people that use that crappy shookya 131 scheme which leaves open shooter all day. What i didnt understand that why in the world would you want to stay in that defense when im hitting open 3's, it does get boring cause you see the same thing over and over, Im getting ready to retire early this year unlike earlier 2k version when im playing it till few days the next 2k comes out.

Defense doesnt mean anything this year, a great offense can beat a elite defense anyday, Korver making contested 3's on Tony Allen with his hands up and etc.

Last edited by Law504; 03-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Online has NEVER been sim. I can't even use my favorite team online because the game allows me to inbound the ball to LeBron and get to the other end of the court and tomahawk dunk while ignoring defense. I can do this 5 or 6 times in a row before he gets a gatorade cup... It feels so cheap.

HOF sim plays the most realistic. I don't why we still don't have ranked HOF lobbies, it would be the most popular feature in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »