Home

Making the CPU shoot less from "Close" and "Inside" areas

This is a discussion on Making the CPU shoot less from "Close" and "Inside" areas within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Making the CPU shoot less from "Close" and "Inside" areas

Every time any player (even guys with somewhere around 35 Shot Tendency, 10 Inside and 5 Close) gets the ball within 5 or so feet of the basket, they force a shot as soon as they catch it. Has anyone else seen this? Is there some sort of workaround? I've lowered Global and Coach Sliders to 0 Inside and Close, and I still have the problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Making the CPU shoot less from "Close" and "Inside" areas

Please believe when I say that I am NOT trying to be sarcastic with this response, I'm actually asking a question. But it may be perceived through the internet that way...

Are you saying that you want to stop a NBA player from shooting when they are right at the basket?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
MVP

If you go watch a real game, you'll see that not ever player shoots every time when they're in that proximity of the basket, unless it's 100% wide open.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
If you go watch a real game, you'll see that not ever player shoots every time when they're in that proximity of the basket, unless it's 100% wide open.
I've been watching the NBA since the 80s. I'm not a casual fan, I'm a die hard hoops fan. I live in the DC area with family in philly. I've seen players such as Iverson, Kobe, Durant, and Beasley prior to their NBA careers when they were ballin around the way. I coach and have played the game. I know basketball.

Having said that, most players, not all granted, but MOST players if they have a shot by the basket will take that shot so I don't understand what you're looking for

anyway, like I said, I didn't mean for my first post to come across as sarcastic

but obviously it did for you to respond the way you did

so I'll let someone else answer your question so as not to get into some type of war of words with you and defeat the help you are trying to obtain

Have a nice day

Last edited by oouie433; 11-22-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

OVR: 20

I wrestled with this issue for a long time with 2K games and have finally found a solution. If you are trying to limit the CPU PIP and close shots, it all has to do with playing great help defense. This means being aware of your player's DAWR ratings and making sure you don't move the player you are controlling out of "help position" thus making your cpu teammates move out of position to compensate. Another thing you want to pay attention to is making sure you are staying between the ball handler and the basket but backing off of him in an area you don't think he can shoot from. You simply have to make a decision about which shot you are willing to give up, the 16 to 21 foot shot or the 3 to 15 ft shot. The CPU will take what you give it.

I would much rather give up a 19 ft jump shot to player with a low mid range rating standing in a cold spot all day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

^^You are correct and that's how i play myplayer especially against big time power forwards like zach randolph.
MLB New York Yankees

PSN: Neutral242
Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
MVP

I guarantee that Nick Collison does not take this shot in real life consistently. There's no reason for someone who doesn't have great touch at the basket to force a shot with four players in the paint. That means someone's open.

But anyway, it's not about help defense and forcing the CPU to do this or that. The CPU shouldn't be forcing shots with everyone in that area at all.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

OVR: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
I guarantee that Nick Collison does not take this shot in real life consistently. There's no reason for someone who doesn't have great touch at the basket to force a shot with four players in the paint. That means someone's open.

But anyway, it's not about help defense and forcing the CPU to do this or that. The CPU shouldn't be forcing shots with everyone in that area at all.
Well, actually Nick Collision didn't shoot very many shots last season but 78% of the ones he did shoot came from within 9 ft of the basket.

Sent from my EVO.... 4 real.

Last edited by Sovartus; 11-23-2012 at 12:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »