Home

Pick and Roll

This is a discussion on Pick and Roll within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Rookie

thedoob's Arena

OVR: 9
Pick and Roll

So, I've been attempting run the quick PnR with the Nugs. I've got the fade down, but every time I roll I have trouble. The big man not involved in the pick always runs to where my pick man is rolling.

I've tried spacing the floor and still no effect. I usually hit this after I run a regular play and can't get anything developed and the clock rolling down. Any advice?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Pick and Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoob
So, I've been attempting run the quick PnR with the Nugs. I've got the fade down, but every time I roll I have trouble. The big man not involved in the pick always runs to where my pick man is rolling.

I've tried spacing the floor and still no effect. I usually hit this after I run a regular play and can't get anything developed and the clock rolling down. Any advice?
I haven't seen this problem, but I do have a bad habit of forcing the bad pass just because I want to run pick and roll.

When you come off the pick are you driving in the lane as well or waiting for the roll man to get into position?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoob

Have you tried calling the quick iso play and then manually calling for the PnR?

EDIT: I assume you are not calling a PnR play from the play menu ( D pad ), and you are just using the button ( L1? ) to call for a PnR manually. I have never had 100% success getting the spacing correct using the "on the fly" PnR. Normally if I call a PnR play the spacing is correct and it works really well.

Last edited by mbmonk; 11-01-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Rookie

thedoob's Arena

I always drive the lane, and yes it's on the fly. I never considered the iso, but that is fairly obvious lol. I'll check this out and see if it works better. Appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
Have you tried calling the quick iso play and then manually calling for the PnR?

EDIT: I assume you are not calling a PnR play from the play menu ( D pad ), and you are just using the button ( L1? ) to call for a PnR manually. I have never had 100% success getting the spacing correct using the "on the fly" PnR. Normally if I call a PnR play the spacing is correct and it works really well.
Really? I've never "play called" the PnR. Ive always done it on the fly, Ill have to check this out!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 1

I use the P&R 'on the fly' all the time and have had a lot of success getting assists. One problem I have found is that if your PG can't shoot, it's really hard to get this to come off because your defender goes under the screen and you can't free up your big man.

Also sometimes the big man will roll to the hoop and then move to the side of the lane rather than just running through the wide-open middle.

Pick and Fade has been a bit more effective for me with good mid-range shooting bigs like Dirk it's lethal unless he's matched up against a really tough defender (like most things, the roster really overrates guys with defensive reputations. Ibaka is not known as a great one-on-one defender but he sticks like glue to Dirk).
Old 11-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
Really? I've never "play called" the PnR. Ive always done it on the fly, Ill have to check this out!
The Laker's playbook is a PnR's wet dream.

Under Nash there is a play called "10 Single". It looks similar to this:

Just note the starting position of the players on offense. PG and center are running the PnR up top. 2,3, and 4 are all along the baseline. It gives you plenty of space for a PG to attack, if any of the defenders help off their man then you can just hit them for a wide open shot. This play is best when you have a 4 that isn't a great outside shooting threat. EDIT: It is key that the PF is on the opposite block of where the PG is attacking. This allows your PG room to finish at the basket. You don't want the PF sitting in the same location the PG is attacking.

Again under Nash there is another play called "1 Fist Dub". It looks similar to this:

This is when you have a 3pt shooting PF ( Laker's have Jamison off the bench ). This play really spreads the floor ( spacing ) and creating room for the PG & C to run the PnR. If the defense helps off you have an open 3pt.

Here is a video someone put together of the Spurs running it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9bnMUR6dAo.

When you call the 10 Double play it will do two PnR back to back. The first happens in the middle of the floor, Just use the first PnR and take the PG to the wing and wait for the center to follow you out to the wing and rescreen.

You can actually attack using the first or second screen, and as you get used to the play you should. But if you want to see the play as diagrammed above then you don't want to attack with the first screen and just move the ball to the wing.

Really it's all about spacing to create room for the PnR. The plays in the playbook do a GREAT job of giving you that spacing you crave

Last edited by mbmonk; 11-06-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Rookie

thedoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
The Laker's playbook is a PnR's wet dream.

Under Nash there is a play called "10 Single". It looks similar to this:

Just note the starting position of the players on offense. PG and center are running the PnR up top. 2,3, and 4 are all along the baseline. It gives you plenty of space for a PG to attack, if any of the defenders help off their man then you can just hit them for a wide open shot. This play is best when you have a 4 that isn't a great outside shooting threat.

Again under Nash there is another play called "10 Double". It looks similar to this:

This is when you have a 3pt shooting PF ( Laker's have Jamison off the bench ). This play really spreads the floor ( spacing ) and creating room for the PG & C to run the PnR. If the defense helps off you have an open 3pt.

Here is a video someone put together of the Spurs running it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9bnMUR6dAo

When you call the 10 Double play it will do two PnR back to back. The first happens in the middle of the floor, Just use the first PnR and take the PG to the wing and wait for the center to follow you out to the wing and rescreen.

You can actually attack using the first or second screen. But if you want to see the play as diagrammed then you don't want to attack with the first screen and just move the ball to the wing.

Really it's all about spacing to create room for the PnR. The plays in the playbook do a GREAT job of giving you that spacing you crave
Dude these are amazing. Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »