Home

50 Ways to Beat the CPU or Become a Better 2K Player Overall, by Sovartus

This is a discussion on 50 Ways to Beat the CPU or Become a Better 2K Player Overall, by Sovartus within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

OVR: 20
Post 50 Ways to Beat the CPU or Become a Better 2K Player Overall, by Sovartus

I have tried numerous tactics, asked for help, watched tutorials, had conversations with the developers, and gotten advice as well as feedback from major players like Czar, Pared, and several other respected members of this community but it is still the same for me. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to play this game anymore although it's like that hot girl you know is bad for you and you keep calling her anyway. It is way too frustrating and unbalanced for me so I plan to slow down on playing considerably. I can beat the CPU on Pro, All-Star, and Superstar with no slider, roster, or tendency adjustments but not regularly or often. I figured I would help some of you who need it by posting some of the tips that have helped me or things I have discovered on my own. I don't claim to know it all or to be an expert at all so don't contact me seeking all the answers because I don't have them. And

I have tried the Sim World Sliders (great job guys) but they are just a band-aid to a bigger problem. If the problem really is rosters, shame on the guys who do them for 2K. If it is the sliders, shame on the person at 2K responsible for calibrating the game play before shipping. What ever the issue is, it is totally unacceptable this year in my opinion. People can make all of the excuses they want but no one can honestly say that this game plays like real basketball on default settings. No one can tell me that they are dominating this game by playing straight up realistic basketball. I can beat the CPU but I really have to stress myself out being meticulous on every menial detail of the entire game. We will just say, my wife isn't happy with 2K this year because of the mood it puts me in when I'm finished playing. LOL

UPDATE: I have to take some of that back.... my bad. I have picked up some things that have really changed the experience for me today.... I will have to keep you updated as I see if it is consistent.
Update #2: Nope, it still sucks! CPU outscored me in the paint by 38. Mostly in the 2nd half 32 to 6.

So, this brings us to my 50 ways to beat the CPU or become an overall better 2K player. I hope this helps some of you and for the guys who are "So awesome at the game that they can beat the computer with their eyes closed on HOF with the CPU's sliders at 100", good for you! Please click back and keep your arrogant comments and criticism to yourself or add something useful to the thread, okay? I hope this can be the one thread on OS that people are civil, useful, and respectful of others. Act like your mama is in here and will pop you up side your head for saying something stupid or touching those M&M's after she said "NO!" the first time.... lol Have fun guys..

The Sovartus 50 Winning Ways of 2K

1. Pay attention to all subs for both teams.

2. Pay attention to all mismatches

3. Pre-Set and manually select all plays that you run for each individual player

4. Monitor all of the plays that the CPU is running to score

5. Manually set all Defensive settings for every opposing player throughout the game.

6. Manually select all screening settings for opposing players throughout the game.

7. Manually set and adjust all Coaching settings throughout the game according to the game-plan according to the team you are facing and as
personnel changes on the floor. Pay special attention to adjust between quarters and make it mandatory at halftime to avoid the famous 3rd quarter run.

8. Monitor player fatigue and it's affect on team chemistry and player shooting abitlity.

9. Pay attention to all momentum swings due to the CPU scoring more than 2 to 4 baskets in a row.

10. Pay attention to all player consistency ratings for slumps and hot streaks

11. Memorize all player hot spots and cold spots

12. Pay attention to all shooting bars under the player and only take shots when there are 4 or more.

13. Know all your player release points and hit them perfectly more than 80% of the time. His proper release timing is the light that flashes under his feet or just before his hand goes forward when the ball reaches his forehead.

14. Pay attention to the defense and know the difference between the ball side and help side. Once you know this you will need to be familiar with the defenders' defensive awareness ratings to know who will help quickly when you drive so you can hit the open man.

15. Pay attention to the on ball defender and watch for the slight adjustments left, right, or backwards for opportunities to beat him off the dribble or take the jumper.

16. Never make a pass to a man that isn't set in the post and calling for the ball.

17. Never pass the ball to a player that isn't looking at the ball handler.

18. Only pass to a cutter when he is calling for the ball or wide open.

19. Pay attention to the ball line (the path the ball will travel when passed) when passing and never make a pass when a player is less than a step away from it or in it.

20. Learn the timing of movement in your plays so you will pass at the right time.

21. Learn all of the post moves (you can find them in the menu under advanced controls).

22. Learn all of your players' proficiencies so you will know what shots, dribble moves, and post moves your players' can perform. (you can find them by clicking the RS and using the triggers/L2-R2 until you see them)

23. Never make a post move toward the help defense.

24. Never make a post move that puts you behind the backboard.

25. Only dribble if the play calls for it, you are creating a better passing angle, or if you are driving an OPEN lane.

26. Activate your lay up, dunk, runner, dribble pull up, hop step, euro step, spin lay up/dunk or other shot attempt AS SOON AS you get past a defender and before you get in the lane. (using regular lay ups gets you more fouls)

27. Try to always shoot a shot off of an assist.

28. Always start your jumper BEFORE the OPEN shooter catches the ball.

29. Manually call for picks when your play isn't working and be sure to use manual pick control to choose who will set the pick so you can pick a good cutter or good mid range shooter.

30. Use picks A LOT.

31. When a shot goes up immediately press the box out button and try to switch to a high rated rebounder.

32. Try to only take shots in players' hot spots.

33. Try to get your players hot by giving them consecutive shots when they hit.

34. Sub out players that miss more than 2 shots in a row or don't let them shoot jumpers until you make 2 to 3 lay ups/dunks with him to get him hot.

35. Shoot as many shots as you can with your superstars until the CPU starts to double him.

36. Only use the RS and LS in the direction of the shooter when closing out or defending a post fade away.

37. Only use the RS during post defense never use the Y/triangle button.

38. Turn your Defensive Assist up to 100 and hold the LT/L2 button until the CPU makes it's initial move to never get beaten off the dribble and have the same "perfect" on ball defense the CPU has against you.

39. If your player has a Great or Good proficiency for a post fade away and high close rating, use it as often as you can making sure to fade away from the double team/help defense.

40. Always move your defender to where the ball handler is going (not try to catch him) by moving between him and the basket in the angle he is taking to the basket.

41. When a computer ball handler makes a move always back up first and NEVER try to cut him off while playing close defense while being sure that you are prepared to use the RS to close out.

42. Go to Manage Roster>Roster>select a player>press A/X> Edit>and move over to Hot Spots to learn where your players like to go to on the court in certain situations so you will know where to pass the ball to on camera views that cut off the court so you can't see all of your players.

43. Never take long shots, low quality, or quick shots against the CPU on higher difficulty levels because the CPU will typically score in transition because it is programmed to do so.

44. Practice beating the CPU off the dribble in Post Move Practice.

45. Practice running your plays in Scrimmage mode with the hot spots map on so you will know where you need to set the play up from.

46. Call your plays from the side of the court that will make the play end on the side of the court where your player's hot spot is.

47. Use direct passing to fade or curl a screen when the CPU or human opponent is over playing your plays.

48. Always head fake at least one time when you catch the ball on the perimeter when playing the CPU unless you are catching to shoot an open shot. This will make the defender react so you can drive easier or get him in the air.

49. If you hop step into the lane ALWAYS head fake first and go straight up. Same is true with post moves and offensive rebounds.

50. Use the dribble pull up by centering the LS holding the LT/L2 and moving the RS after a head fake on the perimeter instead of dribbling manually to get a quick shot. Make sure your player has a good or great Dribble pull up proficiency and Shoot off the Dribble rating.

Last edited by Sovartus; 01-29-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
MVP

SwaggerCoach's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: 50 Ways to Beat the CPU or Become a Better 2K Player Overall, by Sovartus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovartus
I have tried numerous tactics, asked for help, watched tutorials, had conversations with the developers, and gotten advice as well as feedback from major players like Czar, Pared, and several other respected members of this community but it is still the same for me. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to play this game anymore although it's like that hot girl you know is bad for you and you keep calling her anyway. It is way too frustrating and unbalanced for me so I plan to slow down on playing considerably. I can beat the CPU on Pro, All-Star, and Superstar with no slider, roster, or tendency adjustments but not regularly or often. I figured I would help some of you who need it by posting some of the tips that have helped me or things I have discovered on my own. I don't claim to know it all or to be an expert at all so don't contact me seeking all the answers because I don't have them. And

I have tried the Sim World Sliders (great job guys) but they are just a band-aid to a bigger problem. If the problem really is rosters, shame on the guys who do them for 2K. If it is the sliders, shame on the person at 2K responsible for calibrating the game play before shipping. What ever the issue is, it is totally unacceptable this year in my opinion. People can make all of the excuses they want but no one can honestly say that this game plays like real basketball on default settings. No one can tell me that they are dominating this game by playing straight up realistic basketball. I can beat the CPU but I really have to stress myself out being meticulous on every menial detail of the entire game. We will just say, my wife isn't happy with 2K this year because of the mood it puts me in when I'm finished playing. LOL

So, this brings us to my 50 ways to beat the CPU or become an overall better 2K player. I hope this helps some of you and for the guys who are "So awesome at the game that they can beat the computer with their eyes closed on HOF with the CPU's sliders at 100", good for you! Please click back and keep your arrogant comments and criticism to yourself or add something useful to the thread, okay? I hope this can be the one thread on OS that people are civil, useful, and respectful of others. Act like your mama is in here and will pop you up side your head for saying something stupid or touching those M&M's after she said "NO!" the first time.... lol Have fun guys..

The Sovartus 50 Winning Ways of 2K

1. Pay attention to all subs for both teams.

2. Pay attention to all mismatches

3. Pre-Set and manually select all plays that you run for each individual player

4. Monitor all of the plays that the CPU is running to score

5. Manually set all Defensive settings for every opposing player throughout the game.

6. Manually select all screening settings for opposing players throughout the game.

7. Manually set and adjust all Coaching settings throughout the game according to the game-plan according to the team you are facing and as
personnel changes on the floor. Pay special attention to adjust between quarters and make it mandatory at halftime to avoid the famous 3rd quarter run.

8. Monitor player fatigue and it's affect on team chemistry and player shooting abitlity.

9. Pay attention to all momentum swings due to the CPU scoring more than 2 to 4 baskets in a row.

10. Pay attention to all player consistency ratings for slumps and hot streaks

11. Memorize all player hot spots and cold spots

12. Pay attention to all shooting bars under the player and only take shots when there are 4 or more.

13. Know all your player release points and hit them perfectly more than 80% of the time. His proper release timing is the light that flashes under his feet or just before his hand goes forward when the ball reaches his forehead.

14. Pay attention to the defense and know the difference between the ball side and help side. Once you know this you will need to be familiar with the defenders' defensive awareness ratings to know who will help quickly when you drive so you can hit the open man.

15. Pay attention to the on ball defender and watch for the slight adjustments left, right, or backwards for opportunities to beat him off the dribble or take the jumper.

16. Never make a pass to a man that isn't set in the post and calling for the ball.

17. Never pass the ball to a player that isn't looking at the ball handler.

18. Only pass to a cutter when he is calling for the ball or wide open.

19. Pay attention to the ball line (the path the ball will travel when passed) when passing and never make a pass when a player is less than a step away from it or in it.

20. Learn the timing of moment in your plays so you will pass at the right time.

21. Learn all of the post moves (you can find them in the menu under advanced controls).

22. Learn all of your players' proficiencies so you will know what shots, dribble moves, and post moves your players' can perform. (you can find them by clicking the RS and using the triggers/L2-R2 until you see them)

23. Never make a post move toward the help defense.

24. Never make a post move that puts you behind the backboard.

25. Only dribble if the play calls for it, you are creating a better passing angle, or if you are driving an OPEN lane.

26. Activate your lay up, dunk, runner, dribble pull up, hop step, euro step, spin lay up/dunk or other shot attempt AS SOON AS you get past a defender and before you get in the lane. (using regular lay ups gets you more fouls)

27. Try to always shoot a shot off of an assist.

28. Always start your jumper BEFORE the OPEN shooter catches the ball.

29. Manually call for picks when your play isn't working and be sure to use manual pick control to choose who will set the pick so you can pick a good cutter or good mid range shooter.

30. Use picks A LOT.

31. When a shot goes up immediately press the box out button and try to switch to a high rated rebounder.

32. Try to only take shots in players' hot spots.

33. Try to get your players hot by giving them consecutive shots when they hit.

34. Sub out players that miss more than 2 shots in a row or don't let them shoot jumpers until you make 2 to 3 lay ups/dunks with him to get him hot.

35. Shoot as many shots as you can with your superstars until the CPU starts to double him.

36. Only use the RS and LS in the direction of the shooter when closing out or defending a post fade away.

37. Only use the RS during post defense never use the Y/triangle button.

38. Turn your Defensive Assist up to 100 and hold the LT/L2 button until the CPU makes it's initial move to never get beaten off the dribble and have the same "perfect" on ball defense the CPU has against you.

39. If your player has a Great or Good proficiency for a post fade away and high close rating, use it as often as you can making sure to fade away from the double team/help defense.

40. Always your defender to where the ball handler is going by moving between him and the basket.

41. When a computer ball handler makes a move always back up first and NEVER try to cut him off while playing close defense while being sure that you are prepared to use the RS to close out.

42. Go to Manage Roster>Roster>select a player>press A/X> Edit>and move over to Hot Spots to learn where your players like to go to on the court in certain situations so you will know where to pass the ball to on camera views that cut off the court so you can't see all of your players.

43. Never take long shots, low quality, or quick shots against the CPU on higher difficulty levels because the CPU will typically score in transition because it is programmed to do so.

44. Practice beating the CPU off the dribble in Post Move Practice.

45. Practice running your plays in Scrimmage mode with the hot spots map on so you will know where you need to set the play up from.

46. Call your plays from the side of the court that will make the play end on the side of the court where your player's hot spot is.

47. Use direct passing to fade or curl a screen when the CPU or human opponent is over playing your plays.

48. Always head fake at least one time when you catch the ball on the perimeter when playing the CPU unless you are catching to shoot an open shot. This will make the defender react so you can drive easier or get him in the air.

49. If you hop step into the lane ALWAYS head fake first and go straight up. Same is true with post moves and offensive rebounds.

50. Use the dribble pull up by centering the LS holding the LT/L2 and moving the RS after a head fake on the perimeter instead of dribbling manually to get a quick shot. Make sure your player has a good or great Dribble pull up proficiency.
Hot damn, thank you for posting all of this - will definitely give this a read and a re-read...loving it!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Banned

b2th3m1th's Arena

OVR: 0

Excellent post. One thing. You said you can't be the CPU by play real ball but what you outlined was playing real ball and real coaching adjustments! Just a little contradictory but none the less it's a great post.
As someone who coaches and grew up playing ball I naturally do 95% of the things you list. Its hard to explain toy friends why I'm better at the game, but now I have something to point them to. So thank you very much sir!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Rookie

Thank You Sir
Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

I just read a post that may be the missing link for me and will save the game for me this year. It has to do with defensive settings and not playing tight off ball defense or deny ball on too many players. Setting more to sag off and moderate on ball, creates more rebounds. Major break through for me so I will update later if it consistently works for better game-play results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

First and foremost much respect to Sovartus, the advice is indepth and intelligent. Thx for the effort and insight bro. I just learned a whole lot right there man. This is what i am talking about. I hope you dont mind and it would be awesome to add to this:

51. Always fake the entry pass to someone in the post before you actually pass it to them ( O/B to fake pass ). Pass right away after the fake

reasoning: this will avoid the CPU to steal the ball because the fake pass throws of its timing, and passing immediately after the fake allows CPU close to no time to react properly.

52. Dont put the ball down in the post unless you see an opening you can attack from. If no opening is given at first, then pump fake or face up and re-post until an opening shows up.

Opening in this case can mean no inside help or the post defender is playing one side stronger than an other. Always find the opening before you attack.

53. Low post offense > Isomotion offense (this becomes more and more true as diffculty goes up)

54. Make sure you only choose low post plays that sends a cutter pass the PF/C once they catch the ball in the post.

Reasoning: not only does cutter give you an extra offensive option, the extra movement tends to create an opening for the PF/C in the post to attack at. If you do decide to pass to the cutter always face up then pass dont pass with your back to the cutter. With the cutter going through and you PF/C facing up at the same time, some space is bound to be created; ATTACK this space, be it a pass or hook or fade away or spin.

DAL CLEAR POWER or LA TRIANGLE BASE are great plays for this.

55. Avoid playing a line-up where the SG and SF both cant shoot 3's, at the same if you have a PF or C that can really score from the post always try to pair them with a shooting Big man.

Reasoning: shooting threats create spacing on the court. On higher diffculties every little bit of space around the basket helps.

Last edited by itchyroll_51; 01-29-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

Thanks itchy... You have officially been added to my highly respected list. Your post in the other thread helped me tremendously! Good looking out!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Sovartus,

I must say this is some good infomation. I learned a few things that I need to try out. I need the tip to help me with the rebounding. I got out rebounded by the Wizards 55 to 37. If it was random it would be more believable but man I was the Sixers and Blatche had 18 boards and 7 offensive. Crash boards on 100 in the coaching profile. No matter what I did the rebounds were just coming to him. I lose the game 108 to 89. Their team had 17 offensive boards to my 4 and 22 second chance points to my 4. At halftime they had 10 offensive boards to my 1 and I was down 2. They shot 47% to my 44% but with the rebounding it didn't really matter. The funny thing is I was playing the same two teams last night and the game froze in the 3rd quarter but they were killing me on the boards the same way so I was going to give it a go this morning. I will say this also I have not had a game like this in a while where the CPU just manhandles the boards by this much and that was around when the latest patch was released.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »