Home

How to make association mode fun?

This is a discussion on How to make association mode fun? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How to make association mode fun?

Hello,

This is my first ever game of the NBA 2k series (I've played NBA live 08 before, but I didn't really understand it, so I only played against my little brother, both chucking up contested shots and stuff, but it was fun back then), and I'm really enjoying My Player mode so far (PG, I'm about to sweep Oklahoma in the Playoff Finals!).

I have tried playing Association mode before, but I don't know how to make it fun.. I like it so far and I keep wanting to play it, but I don't know what to do. I've created a Bulls Association, but didn't really understand it. I simmed the whole season (29 games), practicing between games. I got defeated in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and now I've got to play a new season. This isn't really fun to me, because it's just simming and this took me about half an hour..

I also like to play Fantasy Draft, however I'm only following the NBA for 1 year (I'm 16 years old and live in the Netherlands, basketball really isn't that big here so it's hard to keep up with the NBA), so I usually get stuck with picking some people like Derrick Rose, Dirk Nowitzki, Ray Allen, and then I just don't know any good players I want to have. After I've gone trough the draft, it's the same story, what now? Sim the whole season?

Is it fun to pick (for example) the Bulls, and then just play all of the games? Doesn't this get boring after a while? Also, I'm used to playing with a PG, so I think I'll just play through D.Rose so this wouldn't be realistic (I've never played with a PF before, so if Boozer would get like 4 ppg this wouldn't be realistic at all)..

Can somebody explain to me what they do? Because I really think this could be fun, I just haven't figured out how yet

Thanks for the read btw, it's a lot!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Rookie

nosaints26's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How to make association mode fun?

Play all the games. I recently just finished a full 82 game season and I played 81 games. If you just play you'll learn to appreciate the game as it is this year much much more, and the little details will just make you want to keep playing.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Rookie

Jason Fiasco's Arena

OVR: 7

You said you like My Player mode and playing PG. In Association you can have the controller set to PG as your favorite position, this way you will only control the PG (D.Rose). This can be fun if you want only want to play with the PG and let the other guys handle their stuff.

Also I find picking bad teams and trying to trade for players and create a better team is fun. It will be harder with less understanding of who players are, but the trade finder system works really well, and young teams tend to have 4 or 5 star players to trade for different players. I usually trade away my draft picks and teammates that I dont want on my team to get a player I want. this way you dont have to worry about drafting fake players, and you can trade players you know.

I usually have 2 differnet stratagies: 1) build a team I like playing with, and play the whole season+playoffs and enjoy winning with that team that I built.. offseason and repeat until your bored of that team. 2)Build a team and sim the season, try to get more talent and a better team in order to do better and better in the playoffs (i usually pick a team that isnt ready to win yet, but i can build up.

Those are a few ways that I make Association fun.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Banned

BestServedCold's Arena

OVR: 1

I usually pick a sucky team and try to build them. The first season if they are really bad, I usually only play a game a month. Once I build the team up I usually play one game a week and almost all of the playoff games.

Most of my enjoyment comes from the draft. I love customizing nearly every player in the draft, each player has a distinct skill set that separates them from their peers. After every season I check in on some of my favorite players (bust or boom) to see how they did. This keeps me interested even after all of the real players have retired.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 9

I have tried playing Association mode before, but I don't know how to make it fun.. I like it so far and I keep wanting to play it, but I don't know what to do. I've created a Bulls Association, but didn't really understand it. I simmed the whole season (29 games), practicing between games. I got defeated in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and now I've got to play a new season. This isn't really fun to me, because it's just simming and this took me about half an hour..

Hello I like playing Association mode. I play as the Lakers-- lost in the Finals-- and am just starting season 2. Why I like it-- get a team that matches your play style. I traded for Monta Ellis and I generally start two SG's because I like how the run things. After the first season I got rid of almost my entire bench (crybabies) so now I want to see how the rookies do and if I can remain a top tier team. Oh yeah I play every game.

I also like getting to know my team, subs, and playstyle better over time. I also have a few fav teams and once in a while I play their games (tried to get the bulls into the number 8 spot in the last 6-7 games). Just to switch it up- also I like clippers and OKC.

I've heard people suggest customizing draft class (sounds time intensive) and controlling all 30 teams (sounds like too much)

I really like the game if you cant tell -- peace!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 10

The struggle with Association is realizing it's not going to be a Dynasty or Franchise. You entered that mode to finish 1-4 seasons of basketball AT MOST, and if you play all the games like you would in Madden or NCAA you'll be lucky to hit the mid-way point of the 2nd season before NBA 2Kx is coming out. What you're in Association for is to find the one year within that window where your team can compete for a championship, and build a team that's fun to play with along the way.

Associations are a lot easier to give up on and start over with than Franchises, basically. There's hardly any incentive to hitting a decade with your personal Franchise save, Associations just feel so impersonal by comparison. Hopefully one day 2K or someone else can solve this problem; the GM and coach hire/fire logic is a big part of the problem for me. Also, seemingly random player progression (both + and -), trades and lack of acknowledgement 2012 is a different year than 2011.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

try one of the different modes then...
Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thank you all for your comments, I'm sorry for my late respond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fiasco
You said you like My Player mode and playing PG. In Association you can have the controller set to PG as your favorite position, this way you will only control the PG (D.Rose). This can be fun if you want only want to play with the PG and let the other guys handle their stuff.

Also I find picking bad teams and trying to trade for players and create a better team is fun. It will be harder with less understanding of who players are, but the trade finder system works really well, and young teams tend to have 4 or 5 star players to trade for different players. I usually trade away my draft picks and teammates that I dont want on my team to get a player I want. this way you dont have to worry about drafting fake players, and you can trade players you know.

I usually have 2 differnet stratagies: 1) build a team I like playing with, and play the whole season+playoffs and enjoy winning with that team that I built.. offseason and repeat until your bored of that team. 2)Build a team and sim the season, try to get more talent and a better team in order to do better and better in the playoffs (i usually pick a team that isnt ready to win yet, but i can build up.

Those are a few ways that I make Association fun.
Well, I do like My Player mode, but it's getting kind of boring because my player is too good, I can score at will. So I don't think that I want to control only D.rose, because he kind of has the same stats as my player.. However, if I just play with the whole team, I think I'd still play through D.rose, know what I mean? I have no experience with the other positions, and D.rose has the ball most of the time.. How can I play this realistically? If D.rose has 40 points every game and Boozer only has like 6, that's not fun for me. Any tips?

Thanks for the other posts, they really helped me! I started a New Orleans association (I like CP3), but I went to bed after I started it lol. I'll play with them later today, and I'm just going to play all of the 29 games and see where it'll go!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »