Home

Jump Shooting is DIFFICULT!!

This is a discussion on Jump Shooting is DIFFICULT!! within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Jump Shooting is DIFFICULT!!

Hopefully some of the super sim vets can help me out... First of all, I know how to play, I can win against the comp at the highest level, and I LOVE the game (a disclaimer for those of you who'll say I'm upset because I just can't play). Now here's the issue, actually there are two concerning shooting j's and a third that is a result of the first two:

1. I take what I consider to be good shots (feet set, a little separation, shots that would have been good for 2K9) with decent shooters at medium range and I brick 7 times out of 10.
2. It is extremely difficult to create separation for a jump shot this season, which is ironic, because jump shot separation is EASY in comparison to drive separation in real life, but it is opposite in this game. I create the separation necessary to drive with ease. Which brings me to my third problem.
3. I CAN win, but I am finding myself opting to take the layup or dunk because I miss so many jumpers, making my Points in the Paint out of this world, and not so sim.

Here's some background:
I read another thread and someone said the timing doesn't matter this year (?) but I am still trying to release my shot stick at the top of my jump. I have my my shooting sliders at 45 and I play hall of fame and I'm mostly shooting jumpers with Mayo who I believe is an 82 med range and Gay who is somewhere in the 70's. I want to swish some jumpers like the computer does against me... any suggestions? I'd hate to resort to moving my sliders up but I will if I have to, just wanted to see if any OS'ers had a remedy first to help me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Jump Shooting is DIFFICULT!!

I'm having the same problems as you with the Grizzlies. I'm having a hard time getting the release points right, mainly with Mayo and Iverson. Anybody got any tips?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Rookie

It's been the same basic flaw every year. A lot easier to get a layup then a jumper off the dribble.

Total arcade BS.

I feel like it's a little better this year, though. If it weren't for the inside shooting percentages being so close to 100, this game might have had some actual balance to it.

Last edited by fffffffff9; 10-08-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffffffff9
It's been the same basic flaw every year. A lot easier to get a layup then a jumper off the dribble.

Total arcade BS.

I feel like it's a little better this year, though. If it weren't for the inside shooting percentages being so close to 100, this game might have had some actual balance to it.
Isn't a layup always easier than a jumper?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt23134
Isn't a layup always easier than a jumper?
lol

Maybe if you're playing by yourself...or even one-on-one...but not in a five-on-five when you have a man in front of you trying to cut off your angles and force you into a jumpshot.

Talking about getting open for a shot, not the odds of you actually making it.

Last edited by fffffffff9; 10-08-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Rookie

A layup is easier to DO than a jumper, bur not easier to GET. It is a lot easier to STOP a man from driving than it is to STOP them from pulling up for a j.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Great topic man.

I spent about two hours this morning practicing jumpshots for the Raps and Bucks. I set the practice level to HOF and worked on getting "perfect release".

It is DAMN HARD to get perfect release consistently. Nearly impossible. The concept of "top of your jump" has changed drastically. Most of these sig shots have very little lift. Make no mistake, holding instead of getting the timing down will nnot help you. The jumpers are NOT automatic. Release does matter.

The releases are SOOOOOO FAST, tho.

Jose Calderon's jumper for example is literally a tap. Others are just a hair past a tap. Only one or two (Belinelli, Turk) make you hold the shoot button at all, and even then, its a small window.

Its pretty frustrating that the jumpers have become so much harder, but it's become even easier to dump it into the paint. Even us sim players have to start pounding the paint if we want to keep up with online opponents, cuz hitting from the perimeter is TOUGH, even with good space.

I will say this though...after practicing for a while, and then going to scrimmage on Superstar, some of those jumpers feel great within the flow of the game. Hitting Calderon in the corner and knocking down that "tap" jumper feels cool given how quick his jumper animation is.

Go to freestyle and work on your shot.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Rookie

Good idea... I'll do that. I haven't even checked to see if my release was poor. I've mostly just been doing a scrimmage practice and shooting (and missing mostly) for hours. Lol. So the release still matters... see I was curious because as the guy said on the other post, the animation IS the same regardless when you release the stick. 2K just confused me with that... I'll go and work on my timing and see if I can improve. Thanks.

P.s. You know what... now that I think of it my VIP said something about me releasing my shot too soon, so it has to matter - or else the game wouldn't keep track of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »