Home

***TOMBA 2K9***

This is a discussion on ***TOMBA 2K9*** within the NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
***TOMBA 2K9***

2Kshare Link NOW LIVE!

Look for:

TOMBA 2K9 ROSTER
TOMBA 2K9 SLIDERS
Gamertag Pajor Hill

Overview

In this roster/slider edit you will see the following at play:

1)Complete and total player speed adjustments pertaining to dribbling and court movement.
2)Newly assigned dribbling and post animations for every player
3)Newly assigned signature shots and dunk animations for every player
4)Complete ratings and tendencies overhauls based off of Nogster's tendencies/ratings for 2k9.
5)Reassigned rotations and minutes based off team line-ups.
6)Accurate team rosters with created players to look like their real life counterparts.
7)Correct equipment changes for every player.
8)2 newly made cameras utilizing the broadcast and nosebleed cams for realistic tv presentation appearance
9)Presentation edit including audio fix(Manual edit thanks to settings not allowable on 2kShare)
10)Slider set to be used in conjunction with full roster edit. Focusing on game and player movement along with realistic shooting percentages for 8 minute quarters.

I want to go into some detail now and not just leave it at a feature list and have you just trust that it's good. I feel that if explain my changes, I'll be able to avoid some of the questions as to why I might have done things a certain way and not another as well as help you understand what kind of game you'll be now playing.

Firstly, I firmly believe that with slider work and ratings work this years NBA 2k9 is probably the best iteration of Sim- basketball I've played. Secondly, I do not usually edit a game unless I feel the changes are significant.When playing the default NBA 2k9 game I came across many issues that I have been able to address. It becomes very frustrating the further you go into the editing of a game that many times becomes cumbersome and ultimately because of that becomes a complete mishmosh of ideas. With NBA 2k9's editing I just constantly got good results the more I edited and for that reason, NBA 2K9 is my most realized effort....

Speed And Me

When I talk "speed" with you I mean mostly the fact of player movement. In basketball theres usually two factors.
One, the pace in which a game plays and two the way players move and dribble. In video games namely basketball ones. I usually see 3 areas to adjust. The speed in which a players accelerates,the speed in which a player dribbles and the way a player goes to the basket. These speeds are based on one sole thing. "The Look of the Animation". I can care less if a player is 'rated" a high 90 in top speed(the speed in which a player runs at full speed) if he looks like' he's going 110 because of the animation I drop that rating until it looks like an actual 90! same thing with the way a player goes for lay up. if that layup rating has a guy at 87 say and when in game he goes for layup and does this incredible "i believe I can Fly"-R-Kelly layup then guess what? YUP I'm dropping that dudes layup till i see something more realistic,that simple. So you see This is more than mere"he's not running fast enough /he's not going to the hoop slow enough" thing. It's all about how the game treats it's animations in reflection to it's ratings. I feel it's usually not something developers have the time for editing personally as laziness i feel is NOT an option with how much "other stuff" goes into making a game work just engine wise. But I can't help myself complaining that it isn't right. I was once told "never complain, just fix" and so I do...

This all goes into the understanding that some player speed adjustment will look weird at first. That is only because you have to FIND the exact amounts of these ratings. below is what's happened to each players speeds and an explanation following those numbers....

EVERY players Quickness and hustle ratings are the same. this along with the specific slider set i have work wonders in making every player run at their ability. I will also say that the ONLY actually thing that makes a visual impression from this speed edit IS now the player speed which can ONLY can adjusted by increments 5's and NEVER EVER goes below 61 as a number.

Let me go into further detail now:

With slider settings at:

Game speed 35

Player speed 42
Quickness 25
Hustle 95

Taken from slider set to show the connection between the two

Example 1)
Iverson
Top speed 91
Quickness 80
Hustle 76

Example 2)

Yao Ming
Top speed 66
Quickness 80
Hustle 76

Both the same and actually make no difference other than to make sure that animations run and look smooth. WHEN you do not follow a convention like the one above you will see hyper dunking hyper layups and hyper dribbling animations.

The player speed however DOES make a difference and that has an effect on the overall players speed and movement on the court.

These player speed increments go by increments of 5 starting from 61 to 96(with the exception of having to have Chris Paul at 99)

The use of this slider set is the only way you'll get a benefit from playing this game as without it it can be too fast ONLY but not warping etc.

Hopefully this gives you some insight as to why things are set in stone like this. without this crucial edit in place every other edit makes no sense.

The Look of the Animation

We all know 2k9 is famous for it’s animations. But one too many times those animations are stuck in the past and make guys like Carter and McGrady into rookies all over again….

In 2k9 everyone knows that you have basically 5 areas of ‘signature moves.

Those are:

Shot
Free throw
Iso

Shot, free throw,post and dunk are all pretty self explanatory. But iso is not and can make a BIG difference in animation to certain players.

Lets delve into iso shall we?

You now have 3 basic 'sets in the iso area.

Those are:
Bigman 1-3
Skilled 1-5
Elite 1-9

I will first say that Big Man 1, Skilled 1, Elite 3 and 4 are bad looking when used in game and should be used sparingly and only to distinguish the worst and best of dribbling players.

Bigman 2-3, Elite 1-2,5-9 ,Skilled 2-5 are all good and can be used for their respective ability players...

My main goal was to change EVERYONE'S isomotion moves in the game and that has happened and has been tested along with the speed edit to work flawlessly almost. I am in a very happy space with these two things jelling like they are.

The other 4 animation sets play a big part in the overall believability in player movement. These have been ALL reassigned/adjusted so that when you pick up the game you are playing the most realistic looking animation the game puts out per each players ability and position.

Why isn't Johnathon Prizba a 84 in 3pt shooting?

Ahh ratings.. YUP everyones got em' or at least has their opinion on them... It's much harder to actually go in saying that this player is this and this players at that when you can afford to not look at the realistic situation. Thanks to the work done by Nogster and Company I have been able to use his mentality and his base work for what is inside this edit. There really hasn't been any attribute skipped in this edit, apart from maybe a non important one here and there. For the most part you are getting an actually decent representation of the NBA's current list of plays attributes statistically. From shooting averages to defensive skills you should be able to see the differences to game play from the default NBA 2k9 settings. On a side note as i avid and long time NBA live fan i have to say that 2k9's attempt at trying to mimic what Ea has to offer with DNA has been a a complete joke. the 2k appointed "2k insider" has not been able to accurately update or even accurately create players in the game. the concept of "living roster' has felt more like "living in the past"...this is the MAIN reason why i stop trying to fix NBA Live 09 anymore is because of EA's actual ability to deliver with it's DNA feature even if at first it's had some hiccups...I strongly recommend everyone to stay put and see how good DNA gets this season as well...that aside

"You're starting tonight at point" "but coach.... I'm a cheerleader"

I went on a week tear (get you mind out of the gutter) with this whole rotation and minute thing. What I basically ended up doing is lessening the frustration on who gets subbed in for as well as literally setting in stone a position a player is most known for. I changed every players position to just that....ONE position. Yes I know, some players can play two or even 3 different positions, but I had to make a choice. Choose some type of order in which a team follows and starts with OR let the old fatigue and chaos thing go into effect. Personally I've hated having some random stuff happen. I rather have a more organized like game for myself that I can just concentrate more on the game play of and try to achieve a more realistic individual player statistic. So here what you'll be seeing is actual player minutes for teams playing a simulated time of 32 minutes per game...All teams CAN play up to 12 minute quarters though as the minutes denoted by me are actually 48 minute numbers based on the season so far. However for the purpose of my playing and setting my quarters to 8 that game time is now at 32 minutes respectively.
I have no doubt that I'll have complaints about this and I'm anticipating a fallout unless what I did make more sense to someone else than it does to me. I honestly feel that a more organized way of playing helps out the "SIM" in this game and by playing WITH rotations set as your subbing option I would think it'd be important that ONLY the guys you want get subbed in.

OK, now I have to get a bigger screen...

Changes to how the game looks also means in the way it's presented. Thankfully with 2k9 you have a plethora of option to choose from. most notably the wonderful camera system. I choose to re think the way i view the camera angle and actual base it more off the TNT broadcast that 2k tries emulating. Withe the Broadcast height set at 4 and the broadcast zoom set a 1. you have what i feel is the BEST television presentation. Along with this the frame rate and animations looks super smooth while playing it. Just an added bonus to making everything work together I suppose,but nonetheless very important. the second camera option is one that i use when i first fired up 2k9. Nosebleeds height and zoom both at 1. for what reason these two cameras appeal to me the most and I have never been a fan of NON television style cameras. even in hockey i prefer the broadcast cam. It's just something I can get over. All this "be a pro" stuff just isn't for me because thats NOT how I watch the sport...

I mentioned audio briefly and i have also made an adjustment in the games sound on the court as well to more accurately depict what you might hear in an actual game.

Sliders and Cherries Pt. 4 "The Golden Age of the Click"

Here are the slider settings with explanations.

*Default explanation: When you see the slider left at default that means the player individual ratings are determining the results in these areas.

Game play Settings
Difficulty: Pro
Quarter Length: 8
Fatigue: On
Injuries: On
Clutch Factor: Off
Real Player FT%: On
Game Speed: 35 (reason for this is the ball speed. This helps the look of rocket passes across court etc)
Free Throw Difficulty 50

NBA Rules / Fouls
Charging Foul - 65
Blocking Foul - 50
Reaching Foul - 40
Shooting Foul - 50
Loose Ball Foul - 60

USER / CPU
OFFENSE
Close Shot Success 50 / 30
Mid Range Success 50 / 50
3pt Success 50 / 45
Layup Success 50 / 40
Dunk Success 50 / 50
Dunks in Traffic 50 / 50
Screen Success 50 / 50

DEFENSE
Steal Success 60 / 60 (This boost helps make the attempts more successful)
Help Defense Strength – 70 / 70 (this gets the players to guard the incoming player to the basket)

ATTRIBUTES
Stealing – 60 / 50 (adds a a bit of success to your user decided picks. HOWEVER USE sparingly for proper SIM results. if you're a player that constantly swipes and "cheeses" then be careful)
Blocking – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Ball Handling – 100 / 100
Dunking Ability – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Off. Awareness – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Def. Awareness – 100 / 100
Off. Rebounding – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Def. Rebounding – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Clutch – 50 / 20 (If left with clutch off this does not come into play. If playing WITH clutch On it effects it accordingly to this adjustment)
Speed – 42 / 42(works in tandem with the speed edit for individual players)
Strength – 100 / 100 (helps with warping and collision detections)
Stamina – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Durability – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Vertical – 100 / 100 (In game this looks better than lazy feet never lifting off the ground. guys in the NBA got hops and when running etc you try and get as high as you can. DOES not effect short players into dunking)
Quickness – 25/ 25 (works in tandem with the speed edit for individual players)
Hustle – 95 / 95 (works in tandem with the speed edit for individual players)
Hands – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
On-Ball Defense – 100 / 100 (default hardly makes anybody guard)
Injury Severity – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)

TENDENCIES
Take Close Shots – 50 / 0
Take Mid-Range Shots – 50 / 100
Take 3pt Shots – 50 / 35
Attack the Basket – 50 / 25

(Had to mention these 4 settings as a grouping of their own. I can not begin to tell what i feel is happening with the games shot attempts at default 50 settings. For whatever reason on Pro, the default numbers of these 4 attributes do not work right with the exception of the 3 pt slider. What I've tried doing here is creating an ACTUAL default that the computer uses to utilizes your teams' coaching style tendencies. So... 0 for the "take Close shots" slider actually plays out as if it's 50 and in the middle. 100 for the "Take Mid-range shots' is acting as if it's a proper 50 and the "attack the basket" slider being at 25 allows for a medium between those 50 plus jumps for both the "take close/m,id shots. This now works in tandem with the shooting successes and puts the focus more on player ratings)

This has been tested thoroughly on PRO and should give you great averages in attempts but more so make teams PLAY as their coaching tenancies say they do. truly a good fix.

Now I continue...

Finish Strong Inside – 100 / 100 (this might be high,but I feel that the NBA is very much a muscling game. Kinda like a pick up game for money. this works in conjunction withe the strength/put-back/attack-the-basket and individual dunk/layup ratings)
Look For Post Players – 70 / 70 (just determines the fact that the CPU and the off the ball user players will get into position for set plays)
Use Triple Threat – 50 / 0 (For the CPU this has to be lowered as it tends to get around you anyway it can. making it look very unrealistic and leads to warping etc. thanks to the additional iso edit this is greatly improved now)
Use Fadeaways – 50 / 50 (Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Use Hookshots – 50 / 50 (Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Attempt Putbacks – 60 / 60 (This works for more urgency around the basket by offense)
Throw Flashy Passes – 50 / 50 (the slider setting is at default. however the player attributes have been ALL fixed so that it ONLY happens for those player adept at passing. Based off of DC's flashy passing ratings)
Commit Fouls – 50 / 50 (Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Play Passing Lanes – 70 / 25 (For the CPU set at 25 it helps with the back door cuts and robot attention to your passing. for the user it makes their awareness of passes become better)
Go for On-Ball Steals – 60 / 50 (The user has not enough results at default)
Contest Shots – 70 / 70 (helps with post up and thru the lane attempts)
Use Sizeup Moves – 50 / 100 (This slider causes all the off the play dribbling that players with high dribbling stats can do to happen more. The user can pull them off with ease,but because of PRO difficulty the CPU doesn't do this as much. this raised to the maximum of 100 does the trick and looks good with players like Chris Paul etc)

Last but not least...

Missing players have been created and have been tripled checked with photos references to make sure they look as close to the real life counterpart as possible with the games in-game editor. You'll notice that the there are only three physical builds to choose from in the game and I have adjusted player faces so that they at least look right on the bodies(making sure than a big guy doesn't have a tiny head etc.) I've also rated and gotten equipment and iso changes to all created players complete as well. I will miss my created Demetris Nichols though since he recently got waived...

Preview of Created Players

ADDITIONAL MANUAL SETTINGS

*New TV Style cameras

Broadcast
Height 4
Zoom 1

Nosebleeds
Height 1
Zoom 1

Sound Settings

Commentary 90
PA Volume 85
Sound Effects Volume 40
Crowd Volume 95
Player Chatter volume 65

Summary

So that's it. I want to thank everyone on and around these boards including fellow roster makers Rashadi, Nogster, Ronyell and RAZRr1275 for the inspiration to take on such a big project...

And now just for laughs

MY JORDAN CAP!

Last edited by Tomba; 11-19-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: ***TOMBA 2K9***(2Kshare Link coming soon...)

Great Job! Will try these out and let you know what I think... btw you dont have your foul settings posted.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

JUST WOOWWW..
GOOD JOB!
I HOPE I'LL SEE IT VERY SOON IN 2K SHARE OF XBOX360.I'LL DEFINITELY TAKE A TRY EVEN I MADE MY OWN FAVORIT ROSTER.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Quote:
EVERY players Quickness and hustle ratings are the same.
Can you explain why you went this route

Also hustle is only displayed when there is a loose ball. It determines how often a player dives on the floor. According to the 2K Slider FAQ PDF that is floating around here
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Also; with this setting I am pretty sure that you aren't getting correct turnover numbers

Quote:
Ball Handling – 100 / 100
Hands – 50 / 50(Default and relies more on individual ratings now)
Because for one, I haven't noticed any of the roster makes implement turnover numbers (player's average) into handles and/or hands rating. I feel as though turnover numbers NEED to be averaged into these ratings at least for in game play. I have discovered that hands/handles rating don't matter in producing turnovers in simmed games (which needs to be fixed)

Hands at 0 produces good numbers though. But my hands/handles system is VERY low so that might be seeing some good turnover numbers.

Also can you go into the speed system a little more. Can you give out some random player speed/quicks/ect.........from each position. I am interested in your speed system
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
Great Job! Will try these out and let you know what I think... btw you dont have your foul settings posted.

Just a few of the things that need sorting along with the audio fix.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
Can you explain why you went this route

Also hustle is only displayed when there is a loose ball. It determines how often a player dives on the floor. According to the 2K Slider FAQ PDF that is floating around here

Cool...

I stated...

"EVERY players Quickness and hustle ratings are the same. this along with the specific slider set I have work wonders in making every player run at their ability. I will also say that the ONLY actually thing that makes a visual impression from this speed edit IS now the player speed which can ONLY can adjusted by increments 5's and NEVER EVER goes below 61 as a number."

Meaning the only real 'visual at play here "inside the game" for such things such as Quickness/hustle and speed is speed.

If a players 'speed is say 81 then he's 81 at everything. Including quickness and hustle. It's a misnomer that Quickness and hustle have an actual 'visual representation in the game. what you are seeing is the players OVERALL speed at play. I just broke it down so that quickness attained a more realistic EXCELLERATION point for everyone's top speed. And I left hustle at 76 along with 95 (within the slider settings) to even out the animation for everyone that goes into the attempt a looseball by diving,lunging, or pick up motion.

"Also hustle is only displayed when there is a loose ball. It determines how often a player dives on the floor. According to the 2K Slider FAQ PDF that is floating around here"

YUP! Downloaded THAT PDF about a month ago and used it SPECIFICALLY to make sure what I was tweaking and ALSO made sure that WHAT THEY SAID it tweaked it ACTAULLY tweaked. Which IS NOT the case in some sliders. remember i come from the land of slider ville. Sometimes sliders are put in place that actually don't do anything OR work off other sliders in order to get a desired result. it's not EVER that a said slider does it's job and 2k's 2K9 game has a few of these "loose" sliders floating around.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
Also; with this setting I am pretty sure that you aren't getting correct turnover numbers

Because for one, I haven't noticed any of the roster makes implement turnover numbers (player's average) into handles and/or hands rating. I feel as though turnover numbers NEED to be averaged into these ratings at least for in game play. I have discovered that hands/handles rating don't matter in producing turnovers in simmed games (which needs to be fixed)

Hands at 0 produces good numbers though. But my hands/handles system is VERY low so that might be seeing some good turnover numbers.

Also can you go into the speed system a little more. Can you give out some random player speed/quicks/ect.........from each position. I am interested in your speed system

Ball handling is turned up to 100 because the defense and stealing successes are turned up by 100. It cancels out the weird "no animation of a dribble" as well where plays glide and stop...

I am getting correct turnovers because of the OTHER sliders in play. lessen one/sharpen another type of rule. again I have to state that each slider does not automatically do things in this game. Just because I have dribbling at 100 does not mean that EVERYONE has a boost in that. As well as the iso motion moves making the "dribble" look less or more NOT the dribbling rating OR the ball handling slider. and I should maybe eloborate here more but n general my rule is that the dribbling animations in 2k9 determine what the overall dribbling IS in 2k9. NOT the ball handling boost OR the dribbling attribute.

EX: if i set the dribbling attribute of a player to 99 say and give that player BIGMAN 1(LOL) he's STILL gonna dribble like a BIGMAN and he's still gonna dribble at the speed of his top speed9which would determine his "go-around moves"...

you mention speed things per player position? OK cool...

Point guards will generally have a top speed of only this (81,86,96 and the Chris Paul inspired 99)
Shooting guards will have(76,81,86,and 91 AT a push)
Power forwards have (71,76,81 with 86 reserved for some...)
Small forwards can have(76,81,86)
Centers have(61,66,71,76 at a push)

and they are always those number by one and by an increment of 5. Thats what i've tested that works.

this along with the slider settings makes every player on the court move like they do in real life. And I'm not talking RATING wise I'm talking game engine tweak so that it LOOKS right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters »