Home

Shooting in this game is insanely difficult (Current Gen)

This is a discussion on Shooting in this game is insanely difficult (Current Gen) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #1
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

OVR: 0
Shooting in this game is insanely difficult (Current Gen)

It seems like this happens every other year or so. One year, the game is a reasonable difficulty, or even too easy, and I can actually build a team around jump shooting and 3pt. shooting, and use it as a viable strategy. The next year (this year being one of them), shooting is insanely difficult and the shot meter is woefully unforgiving.

I acknowledge that I am not the best 2K player, hence I play against the CPU in MyLeague and run on Superstar difficulty. I also use my favorite team, the Orlando Magic, and attempt to rebuild them, so I know I am not using the best team.

But with guys like Evan Fournier, Terrence Ross, Nikola Vucevic, or even an Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, or Mo Bamba, I have some guys who can stretch the floor and shoot from beyond the arc. Most of those guys are 30%+ 3point shooters. But in NBA2K21? Less than 10%

I'm running plays designed to get them open and give them good looks, and in the last game I played, I went 2/22 from 3 point land.

I've gone into the freestyle practice mode to practice my 3 point shot, and in the freestyle mode I am hitting less than 10% of my 3 point shots.

That's absolutely ridiculous. There's absolutely no reason for that.

That doesn't even get into the insane catch up defense by the AI whenever I do make a move to get by them, and the way they shoot across the floor to get back in front of me. Or the running-in-mud fast breaks from my team, making a transition offense virtually impossible.

I don't mind losing. But the way the game is playing out this year isn't even fun. And I know that sliders are an option, but playing around for hours tweaking sliders is even less fun.

Ugh. Very frustrating year this year, and it's just getting started.
M. Fultz: 15pts., 4 ast. pts.
J. Suggs: 14 pts.
R.J. Hampton: 14 pts.
M. Bamba: 13 pts., 14 reb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Shooting in this game is insanely difficult

Yea...if you want to shoot well, this is what you have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bsh...psandTutorials

And I agree, it's kind of ridiculous. Still a fun game though!
Old 11-26-2020, 12:38 AM   #3
MVP

Tynole14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistick
It seems like this happens every other year or so. One year, the game is a reasonable difficulty, or even too easy, and I can actually build a team around jump shooting and 3pt. shooting, and use it as a viable strategy. The next year (this year being one of them), shooting is insanely difficult and the shot meter is woefully unforgiving.

I acknowledge that I am not the best 2K player, hence I play against the CPU in MyLeague and run on Superstar difficulty. I also use my favorite team, the Orlando Magic, and attempt to rebuild them, so I know I am not using the best team.

But with guys like Evan Fournier, Terrence Ross, Nikola Vucevic, or even an Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, or Mo Bamba, I have some guys who can stretch the floor and shoot from beyond the arc. Most of those guys are 30%+ 3point shooters. But in NBA2K21? Less than 10%

I'm running plays designed to get them open and give them good looks, and in the last game I played, I went 2/22 from 3 point land.

I've gone into the freestyle practice mode to practice my 3 point shot, and in the freestyle mode I am hitting less than 10% of my 3 point shots.

That's absolutely ridiculous. There's absolutely no reason for that.

That doesn't even get into the insane catch up defense by the AI whenever I do make a move to get by them, and the way they shoot across the floor to get back in front of me. Or the running-in-mud fast breaks from my team, making a transition offense virtually impossible.

I don't mind losing. But the way the game is playing out this year isn't even fun. And I know that sliders are an option, but playing around for hours tweaking sliders is even less fun.

Ugh. Very frustrating year this year, and it's just getting started.
Mess around with some of the sliders man. Like user 3pt success. And cpu jumpshot gather and release defense (lower this).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2020, 01:27 AM   #4
Pro

zrohman's Arena

This year is supposed to be more based on skill. In my opinion, they are pushing people to the new analog system. If you are still using square or x to shoot, you will probably be a little worse off than last year. It's best to adjust to the new system.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:55 AM   #5
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmperor2001
Yea...if you want to shoot well, this is what you have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bsh...psandTutorials

And I agree, it's kind of ridiculous. Still a fun game though!
I do agree that it's a fun game. NBA2K is one of my favorite video game franchises, hands down. I look forward to the new release every year, and tbh, it might be my favorite sports game period.

But this year right now is insanely frustrating. I don't find this to be very fun.

I have definitely tried the new system. I have tried both the shot timer, I have tried the shot aiming mechanics, and I have even tried that trick that you linked to (which last I saw, that trick has actually been patched out), and none of it works. That video that I linked is my own recording and is what I deal with everytime I load the game up. The shooting in this game is entirely unforgiving to the point of sheer ridiculousness.

Again, I concede that I am not the best 2K player by any means. There's a reason why I stick to playing AI on Superstar mode. But I'm not so bad that I should be shooting UNDER 10% with respectably rated 3 point shooters. None, what-so-ever.

Especially when I have not been that bad in year's past.
M. Fultz: 15pts., 4 ast. pts.
J. Suggs: 14 pts.
R.J. Hampton: 14 pts.
M. Bamba: 13 pts., 14 reb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2020, 04:57 AM   #6
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
This year is supposed to be more based on skill. In my opinion, they are pushing people to the new analog system. If you are still using square or x to shoot, you will probably be a little worse off than last year. It's best to adjust to the new system.

I don't know which modes or difficulty you are playing, but in our onlineleague most people went back to timing or even button shooting as they hit much muich higher percentages with that.
Still, besides the top guys in our league, who hit their normal or even above normal percentages (best guy is hitting 45%), many people are hitting far worse than they "career average". I for example was always in the top third of 3pt% in 12 years of online league basketball. This season, my 3pt% is down 8% from 38% last year to 30% this year. And I am not the only one there. It seems like this game is mostly about "green or miss" which I really hate. Why do you need to hit 100% to not hit 0%?! This makes no sense at all. We even upped the 3pt slider on superstar from 55 to 58 as on 55 nobody was hitting anything at all.

I mean, these so called "stick skills" of course should play a role. If you really mess up your timing/aiming, then your chances of making a shot should dip down. But me and most others in the league? We are in the slightly or better range for shots on way above 90% of our shot attempts and these kinds of shots nearly always miss. This is just frustrating.

Last edited by jk31; 11-26-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

It's one of the main reasons I think I'm going to skip this year.

The shot aiming mechanic didn't sit right with me at all. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. I shouldn't have to play a mini game to shoot the ball. User timing was more than enough. I'm exclusively an offline player too, so I don't have an agenda of 'making things easy' so I can win online.

I got mildly excited when I heard you can play without aiming until I discovered you can't revert back to 2K20's control scheme. Pretty much a deal breaker, combined with the fact I couldn't hit a jumper to save my life in 2K21, when most years, using the sticks and RP% I'm normally pretty solid.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

This is a lot better on next gen.

I'm assuming you're talking about current gen?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »