Home

NBA 2K21 Graphics Comparison (4K Ultra HD) - PS4 Pro Vs. PS5 W/ HDR and No HDR

This is a discussion on NBA 2K21 Graphics Comparison (4K Ultra HD) - PS4 Pro Vs. PS5 W/ HDR and No HDR within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
NBA 2K21 Graphics Comparison (4K Ultra HD) - PS4 Pro Vs. PS5 W/ HDR and No HDR

Well it took about a whole day of processing on YouTube, but our 4K Ultra HD...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.

Be sure to actually click the 4K setting on YT to see it in the highest resolution. Also we're getting really close to 9K subs on YT so any peeps who like or subscribe right now is really appreciated!

I'm also going to have an MLB The Show one that does something similar (it's already published, just waiting for the 4K processing on YT once again).

Last edited by ChaseB; 11-17-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Re: NBA 2K21 Graphics Comparison (4K Ultra HD) - PS4 Pro Vs. PS5 W/ HDR and No HDR

I felt this video might be especially helpful since I know some peeps felt in general the game might even look better with HDR off vs. on, so I showed off both in that environment and also did a color correct to show how HDR probably might look just as good but just might need a game-specific setting to refine it.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: NBA 2K21 Graphics Comparison (4K Ultra HD) - PS4 Pro Vs. PS5 W/ HDR and No HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I felt this video might be especially helpful since I know some peeps felt in general the game might even look better with HDR off vs. on, so I showed off both in that environment and also did a color correct to show how HDR probably might look just as good but just might need a game-specific setting to refine it.
Nice video.

Was wondering what you did for that color correct, because the HDR image without it reminds me of how No Man's Sky looks to me right now - everything getting drowned in light (at least during the daytime). Kinda new to HDR in general since I just got a monitor that supports it within the past 2 months.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
MVP

RayRay34's Arena

OVR: 17
Is this just the current gen edition of 2k21 on the PS5 or is this the next gen edition of 2k21 on the PS5 vs the current gen on PS4?*
Old 11-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay34
Is this just the current gen edition of 2k21 on the PS5 or is this the next gen edition of 2k21 on the PS5 vs the current gen on PS4?*
That PS4 footage is captured from the PS4 Pro and is the current-gen version. Then the PS5 footage is all next-gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Nice video.

Was wondering what you did for that color correct, because the HDR image without it reminds me of how No Man's Sky looks to me right now - everything getting drowned in light (at least during the daytime). Kinda new to HDR in general since I just got a monitor that supports it within the past 2 months.
Are you on the PS5 with No Man's Sky now or playing on PC? My recommendation if you're on PS5 is perhaps just make the whites a little darker in that HDR settings panel of your PS5 -- assuming you don't want to tweak your monitor or TV much. I also think the recordings can make the game look a little worse than it really is. On my TV for example, 2K did not look that washed out/overexposed (due to my TV calibration), but the recording amplified it further.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Are you on the PS5 with No Man's Sky now or playing on PC? My recommendation if you're on PS5 is perhaps just make the whites a little darker in that HDR settings panel of your PS5 -- assuming you don't want to tweak your monitor or TV much. I also think the recordings can make the game look a little worse than it really is. On my TV for example, 2K did not look that washed out/overexposed (due to my TV calibration), but the recording amplified it further.
Yeah, on PS5 with the actual PS5 version of NMS. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
the hdr calibration on xbox at least is whack. I did it and had to revert back doing the opposite of the instructions. HDR should have shadow DETAIL and highlight DETAIL, while not being flat. It simply offers a full spectrum previously unavailable.

The problem is the xbox calibration literally causes you to force the TV to crush blacks (zero dark detail) and blow out highlights (zero highlight detail). My VIZIO P65 performed perfectly 'out of the box' but curiosity got the best of me and I tuned it according to instructions with disastrous results.

Adding to the issue is that just because a full HDR spectrum has so much possibility, doesn't mean an NBA arena provides that. In other words, highlights aren't as bright as the sun and shadows void of light. Most pro sports arenas MINIMIZE dynamic range so everyone can see everything that's going on constantly. My feeling is that tuning it caused it to bring out those extremes where no exist.

So I kept my personal settings and reverted the internal xbox calibration as best I could to the way it was before.

The moral of the story is - whatever TV you have, create the settings that you like (HDR or not) and the only thing you should change is to activate game mode or not. Also check if your TV's game mode deactivates HDR or not. But the picture you like should work across all mediums and not just movies OR games.

IF your games look weird - does the startup menu look weird too? I'm noticing people with different TV's are having different experiences in next gen pretty drastically. I"m one of the lucky ones who had a perfect experience out of the box I guess...but either way, you shouldn't have to tailor anything to any one game OR system imo.

HDR shouldn't dramatically do anything to 2k21 (like blowing out the entire court) for example - it's also super hard to SHOW this stuff because you're likely not watching on an HDR monitor and perhaps it doesn't translate to a youtube video either.

Either way I appreciate the video, but it brings up a bigger issue which is total consumer confusion on the matter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »