Home

The ideal MyLeague for NBA 2K22

This is a discussion on The ideal MyLeague for NBA 2K22 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
The ideal MyLeague for NBA 2K22

Since NBA 2K21 is probably already finished for the most part, I wanted to discuss some of the things that would improve MyLeague mode in future 2K games. The main problem I'm having with MyLeague is just that it gets boring way too quick, and that applies for pretty much every recent 2K game I can remember. The game play is just not compelling enough, in my opinion, to keep me playing for months and months.

Here are some ideas I have to make MyLeague a much better experience overall:

- Totally get rid of MyGM mode and combine many of those features into MyLeague so that you can have more control of your players. For instance, I think it's cool they make you meet with your players, but the meetings are really stupid and have no substance to them. I'd like to see more options to speak with players in-depth about certain things (contracts, recent play, chemistry, etc).

- Make the computer less consistent with their game play regardless of the difficulty and sliders you have set for your league. This is something I can't imagine ever happening. But pretty much whatever sliders I have (even if I keep making it easier), the computer plays really well every game and has these runs that you can't stop. Over the course of a season, there should be games where the CPU just doesn't have it.

- We need more control over the numbers that players average in simulation. I know there are simulation sliders but, from my experience with constantly adjusting them, it really doesn't seem to change much. For instance, James Harden has averaged in the low 20 PPG in most seasons I have done and nothing I've tried has changed that. There needs to be a way for us to determine if a player's stats are inaccurate so that they can be reflected better in simulation.

- I think we should be able to customize the NBA schedule or at least the schedule for user teams. This isn't really that important but I don't see why they shouldn't give us the freedom to do this, kind of like in the old NCAA football and basketball games.

- I don't know what exactly it would be but I feel like there needs to be something to add a little more emphasis and excitement to the playoffs. For example, I play a 58-game season and then once I get to the playoffs, it just ends so quick and I look back almost like: "I just wasted so much time playing this game." Something needs to be done to the playoffs to make this game mode more worth getting to the end result (the champion).

Please share your thoughts and thank you for reading!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: The ideal MyLeague for NBA 2K22

Good list.

I would like team goals and players goals. And if you achieve or dont achieve your goals this will affect overall progression and how much (points) you can use for training.

For example:

Each team is randomly assigned 3 goals (based on their team status) and you have the option to add 2 more goals if you choose. So you could have a total of 5 goals and each goal is weighted. Ex, win title will mean a lot more for a team that is not a title contender. So it's like high risk, high reward.

The purpose of the goal system is to give us some type of "you can actually do bad" in your myleague. There will be over 300 types of goals so that it won't be the same goals each year. You can have goals such as lead the league in Fast Break points to having a All NBA player on your roster.

And we do the same for players. Each player is assigned 3 goals based on their rating and their status in the league. And you can have an option of adding 2 more...your goals will also affect how someone progresses or regress. For example, if "you" choose Kris Middleton to have the goal of win MVP. That is a lofty goal, if he does achieve it, he will progress tremendously but if he doesn't he will regress tremendously. High risk, high reward.

Some type of goal system is needed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2020, 03:20 AM   #3
Just started!

Zevjayx's Arena

OVR: 0
These are both all great ideas!

Personally I do long term sims and I wish I could erase some of the records that are hard-coded, like amount of championships a team. Its such a simple fix that would shake things up.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:51 AM   #4
Rookie

ShadyFan25's Arena

Additions I'd love to see in 2K22:

Adjustable Organizational Budgets:
Scouting Budget - Allocating more money towards scouting will let you scout players much more quickly. Ideal for Rebuilding/Selling teams.

Training Budget - Allocating more money towards training will lead to faster progression/slower regression on the roster. Ideal for Contending teams.

Marketing Budget - Allocating more money towards marketing will make your team more desirable in free agency and make contracts slightly less expensive. Ideal for Buying teams.

Having to decide what to focus the budget on would make team building much more fun and interesting.

Viewable Future Draft Classes:
Ability to have the next four draft classes viewable/scoutable at any time. I want to be able to prepare for a strong or weak class years ahead of time. Everyone knew about Zion years before he even got to the NBA, it should be the same thing in 2k. A feature like this could also lead to players dynamically declaring for the draft, or staying in school.

Better Generated Player Names in Draft Classes:
The database of player names in draft classes is very outdated. I'm sorry but people aren't naming their kids like it's the 1920's anymore. Every time I auto-generate a draft, the class has names like Bob, George, Chuck, Wilbert, etc. It's a small thing but it kills immersion. I want to see modern names like Jalen, Cameron, and Jordan in draft classes.

Fog of War/Hidden Rookie Ratings:
Rookie player ratings should be slowly revealed as they play more minutes. The player's final potential rating should be revealed after his first season.

G League:
Full G-League Implementation - playable games, roster management, coaching staff. Also ability to customize uniforms, rebranding, team location etc.

Preseason:
Full 5 Game Preseason Implementation.
Buffalo Bills
NY Yankees

Last edited by ShadyFan25; 09-01-2020 at 12:53 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 09-01-2020, 05:13 AM   #5
Rookie

Mortiis's Arena

when it comes to the rookies from european countries, mostly they are totally wrong, skin colors of those players aswell (hairstyles too)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
Rookie

One thing I missed from the older 2ks is getting to shoot around with prospects before the draft. Get a feel for their speed/quickness. Their shooting and moves etc.

Would also be neat if they put together highlight reels for some of the top pics etc too. (I'm sure this would be hard)

Coach mode. Enough said. (make it to where no vc can be earned for this mode to avoid exploit)

Being able to set freelance offense outside of a game and have it save to your teams preference.

Contract issues for free agents, such as in 2k20 dragan bender wanted 17 mil per year and is rated sub 70 overall. 2nd round picks that were cut wanting 4+ mil per year and refusing 2way contracts etc.

Player roles again. Being able to assign or offer for a player to be a starter or star to increase odds of signing /refusing contracts. Setting players that get upset if they're not starting, based on personality not just overall rating. Allowing players like L. Williams and Manu to come off the bench without hurting moral.

During free agency giving insight on what free agent is seeking. Playoff team, mostly worried about money, being THE GUY on a team etc.

Increased likelihood of flagrant fouls when playing rivals to simulate intensity. Could also increase injury chances (same with playoff games)

Playoff P. Some players play great during the regular season but shrink in intense moments. Maybe add a negative badge system, increasing likelihood of turnover in clutch moments, missing or more difficult shooting and free throws etc. (think Kwame brown telling Kobe not to pass him the ball)

Make a veteran leadership badge for older Players. Currently mentorship is just for badges yes? Have it have an effect on the team as a whole when you bring in a Haslem or Carter to mentor the younger players etc. Signing low rated older players typically with no badges is pointless and unrealistic because in real life teams love those guys.

A wildcard badge. (Rodman going to Vegas and not being available for games). Signing player has benefits of intense play in game but may flake out and be unavailable for games. Give option to suspend or fine etc. Risk/reward for signing your lance Stephenson /Rodman types

I would really love for myleague to get some love going forward. It's by far the best mode. I know the masses love their fortnite style instant reward gameplay but truly grinding a franchise is far more rewarding in my opinion.

Last edited by Simguy23; 09-01-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohns23
Good list.

I would like team goals and players goals. And if you achieve or dont achieve your goals this will affect overall progression and how much (points) you can use for training.

For example:

Each team is randomly assigned 3 goals (based on their team status) and you have the option to add 2 more goals if you choose. So you could have a total of 5 goals and each goal is weighted. Ex, win title will mean a lot more for a team that is not a title contender. So it's like high risk, high reward.

The purpose of the goal system is to give us some type of "you can actually do bad" in your myleague. There will be over 300 types of goals so that it won't be the same goals each year. You can have goals such as lead the league in Fast Break points to having a All NBA player on your roster.

And we do the same for players. Each player is assigned 3 goals based on their rating and their status in the league. And you can have an option of adding 2 more...your goals will also affect how someone progresses or regress. For example, if "you" choose Kris Middleton to have the goal of win MVP. That is a lofty goal, if he does achieve it, he will progress tremendously but if he doesn't he will regress tremendously. High risk, high reward.

Some type of goal system is needed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Second this wholeheartedly -- the worst thing is, 2K DID have a system back in place in the 2k10-14 PS3/360 era games. The old "Reward" system, which awarded you points you could spend on training camps for your players, instead of the current X amount of training camps based on your staff level (ranges from like 1-4 I think).

I would like to see that system come back -- have three levels of potential points.

Level 1=Player level: Individual goals for players to achieve -- perhaps dynamically generated based on the player's unique stats/position, but at the very least some generic goals (like averaging 20 PPG that season, or making All-NBA, or averaging over 25 MPG) for every player and awarding points.

Level 2=Coach Level: Goals for the coaching staff, awarding points for doing basic things (win streaks, finishing with a better record than the previous year), to the more challenging (winning a playoff series, or a finals), to the legendary (winning 10 titles or making the playoffs 20 years straight -- Phil Jackson and Pop levels of longevity and success).

Level 3=Organization Level: Certain organizations in the game should start with bad reputation (or lack of a good one if bad is too strong a word). So the Kings/Knicks would be dumpster fires, they have potential if someone comes in and builds them up, but their rep is so low that it takes overpaying free agents/other teams to acquire talent outside the draft. The bad reputation affects any organization level dealings, so free agency, contract negotiations, arranging trades (the good rep teams, run by the Danny Ainge's in the world, try to bend you over in trade negotiations), and dealing with your players.

Working as a GM to rehab that rep, you have certain goals to accomplish -- so some of these goals will be coach shared (like finishing with a better record than last year), but some are strictly GM level, so signing a major free agent (say someone with a 85+ rating or a top-10 player by free agent class), trading for a superstar, drafting a serious stud in the first round or finding a player with high potential after the lottery -- those types of things award you mega points, more than the player/coach level because a good organization is the hardest thing to build and maintain in the NBA, IMO.

Using this Rewards system, all those points are added up at the end of the year and you can then distribute them as you see fit: want to use your 1000 points to send 10 players to various training camps to raise their ratings? Done.

Or perhaps you want to only send your young players, anticipating your title window closing in a year or two, so you send 3 of your top prospects -- and spend the rest of your points improving training facilities (which makes in-season progress/training/recovery better) or bumping up your scouting department (making draft scouting more accurate/giving you more chances to practice with certain prospects during the pre-draft workout period or allowing you to convince certain prospects to refuse to play for rival teams -- making those teams more likely to trade out of their draft spot, allowing you to trade up).

Maybe neither of those appeal and instead you want to focus on your coaching staff -- say you have a longtime coach lifer, like Pop, but he's making noise that he might retire. You can spend your points to convince him to stay longer (lowering his "likely to retire" meter maybe) or spend them to send one of his assistants to an overseas coaching symposium, giving that assistant a massive skills boost but opening up the risk that someone might poach him before Pop goes.

Perhaps your star player is instead contemplating retirement, putting out a lot of smoke about making it their final year -- instead of having a simple override button (good only once), have that be something you can spend points to prevent -- and the more often the player does it, the more points it takes in subsequent years to convince them to comeback, making it a sunk cost question ... is it really worth it to spend those reward points to keep a Kobe like figure around when you could put it elsewhere? Even if they stay around, is the contract they demand too much?

That's where I'd like to see MyLeague come back to, get that reward system back and expand upon it -- make it so breaking franchise/NBA records has a tangible reward for your franchise other than a note in the history book. Make the years more distinct and not bleed together so much.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:41 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyFan25
Better Generated Player Names in Draft Classes:
The database of player names in draft classes is very outdated. I'm sorry but people aren't naming their kids like it's the 1920's anymore. Every time I auto-generate a draft, the class has names like Bob, George, Chuck, Wilbert, etc. It's a small thing but it kills immersion. I want to see modern names like Jalen, Cameron, and Jordan in draft classes..
Don't forget the ridiculous international names - every English prospect is called Reginald (why are there so many lottery prospects from England?) and every second Australian prospect is called Boomer. Really 2k?

I think in general there are a lot of improvements that could be made to generated draft classes to improve realism and immersion. Off the top of my head:

- Update the player looks. Nothing kills a draft class more than 10 of the top 15 players having latino skin and wavy hair with parts.

- Way too many international prospects who have an overseas contract and can't join immediately, particularly at the top end of the draft. I get the idea but it doesn't play out very well. This also ties in with being able to see future draft classes, so you could see what international players are on the draft radar, rather than them coming into the draft when they're not eligible yet.

- Stats are off. Way too many college guys averaging 20+ points, 10+ rebounds, 10+ assists. It's even worse with the European guys; even Luka only averaged 16ppg in his Euroleague MVP season, yet the projected 9th pick out of Lithuania in 2k will have averaged 25/12.

I guess the fact so many people make their own draft classes probably means 2K aren't going to put all that much time into their own draft classes though.

Last edited by sirdez; 09-02-2020 at 01:43 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »