Home

NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki

This is a discussion on NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by duce
These two quotes definitely spark a conversation I'm willing to open up. I'll say this:

I am NOT a fan of arbitrary rules (even if they are in favor of sim). For example, AllStarDaDon's mention of timeouts per quarter. I like the spirit of it, but I don't believe the user/coach should be forced to call a timeout if they feel their players are fine. For me, I would prefer if fatigue had enough an effect that not calling a timeout led to sloppy play from the tired players. Since we have the tools to make it a strategic decision instead of an "I must do this to be sim" decision, I prefer using the tools. (Thanks AllStar for providing an example. If you have a rebuttal to these thoughts, I'm all ears.)

Now (per MrWrestling3), in terms of what's sim and what's not. I don't believe this is something that can be judged on a game-by-game basis. I've seen people say "I've just played a game and the [insert stat] is too low/high. That's not realistic." I'm more into looking at averages and context. By context, I mean that even if the stats don't average to the real 2019-2020 season, as long as they fit in the context of that specific instance of MyLeague, I'm fine with it. I won't claim to be the end-all-be-all on this, so I would be interested in hearing others opinions.
On the first point,I agree that Time Outs should be a natural part of the strategic coaching process.I think it does open up some questions though...is it possible to better integrate them so that they become a part of that process with the tools we have? I would think this would involve a tweaking of the Fatigue Rate slider (to make players tire more realistically) plus possibly adjusting the rotation method and coaching sliders so that CPU coaches respond properly.

On the second point, you are right; I think we are looking for long term consistent results and I should have mentioned that.If a player averages say, 20ppg on 50% shooting, scoring exactly 20 on 10 for 20 shooting every single game isn't realistic either.Just as in real life, there should be times when it all comes together and a guy drops 38 on 17 for 22, and times where it's just not happening and the same guy puts up 6 on a 2 for 12 night.

That being said, I think it opens up the question of sample size.How big does it need to be before we can reliably say "These are the kind of results we are looking for, and the kind of results players can expect."?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
a goat

duce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
On the first point,I agree that Time Outs should be a natural part of the strategic coaching process.I think it does open up some questions though...is it possible to better integrate them so that they become a part of that process with the tools we have? I would think this would involve a tweaking of the Fatigue Rate slider (to make players tire more realistically) plus possibly adjusting the rotation method and coaching sliders so that CPU coaches respond properly.

On the second point, you are right; I think we are looking for long term consistent results and I should have mentioned that.If a player averages say, 20ppg on 50% shooting, scoring exactly 20 on 10 for 20 shooting every single game isn't realistic either.Just as in real life, there should be times when it all comes together and a guy drops 38 on 17 for 22, and times where it's just not happening and the same guy puts up 6 on a 2 for 12 night.

That being said, I think it opens up the question of sample size.How big does it need to be before we can reliably say "These are the kind of results we are looking for, and the kind of results players can expect."?
I think if we're looking at individual stats, it takes a whole season. Although it's rare to see a player get hot for a month or two, it happens.

If we're looking at team stats, maybe a couple weeks worth of games (~10 games)? I'm not aware of many instances of a team having outlier stats for that time span.

If we're looking at gameplay (i.e. some move is overpowered), I would also say maybe a week or two of games (~5-10 games). The key aspect with this is having multiple pieces of visual/video evidence. Even better if it can be replicated by other users. I look for a sense of balance, where there is a viable counter-move to every move. I also like to make sure that the CPU is capable of countering (ex. proper pick and roll defense, proper fast break defense, etc.) even if they don't get it right every time. Full games are essential in getting this type of context.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #11
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Thank you for mentioning these. I've just added them along with a few slider explanation threads.

These two quotes definitely spark a conversation I'm willing to open up. I'll say this:

I am NOT a fan of arbitrary rules (even if they are in favor of sim). For example, AllStarDaDon's mention of timeouts per quarter. I like the spirit of it, but I don't believe the user/coach should be forced to call a timeout if they feel their players are fine. For me, I would prefer if fatigue had enough an effect that not calling a timeout led to sloppy play from the tired players. Since we have the tools to make it a strategic decision instead of an "I must do this to be sim" decision, I prefer using the tools. (Thanks AllStar for providing an example. If you have a rebuttal to these thoughts, I'm all ears.)

Now (per MrWrestling3), in terms of what's sim and what's not. I don't believe this is something that can be judged on a game-by-game basis. I've seen people say "I've just played a game and the [insert stat] is too low/high. That's not realistic." I'm more into looking at averages and context. By context, I mean that even if the stats don't average to the real 2019-2020 season, as long as they fit in the context of that specific instance of MyLeague, I'm fine with it. I won't claim to be the end-all-be-all on this, so I would be interested in hearing others opinions.

You could just put timeouts on auto. That’s what I usually try to remember to do when I play ASD.

Here’s some articles I did on playing sim and 2k etiquette.

https://www.coach2k.com/2015/07/nba2...layer.html?m=1

https://www.coach2k.com/2015/07/nba2...fense.html?m=1

https://www.coach2k.com/2015/07/nba2...uette.html?m=1

The best piece of advice I’d have is don’t try and tell people how to play, try and remove from your game things people complain about, play all challengers and finish your games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #12
a goat

duce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
You could just put timeouts on auto. That’s what I usually try to remember to do when I play ASD.

Here’s some articles I did on playing sim and 2k etiquette.

https://www.coach2k.com/2015/07/nba2...layer.html?m=1

https://www.coach2k.com/2015/07/nba2...fense.html?m=1

https://www.coach2k.com/2015/07/nba2...uette.html?m=1

The best piece of advice I’d have is don’t try and tell people how to play, try and remove from your game things people complain about, play all challengers and finish your games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Much appreciated Coach. I think those posts are a great summation of what's respected by the sim community. For a few years, I considered myself a part of that group, but it slowly eroded some of my joy of the game following those rules. Not that I felt there was no need for a "simulation" point of reference, but that it seemed to force my opponents/myself into second-guessing successful tactics during the game and having to keep a mental track of "stat limits". IMO, this common implementation of these sim standards are unnecessary today (specifically for leagues).
Old 04-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Much appreciated Coach. I think those posts are a great summation of what's respected by the sim community. For a few years, I considered myself a part of that group, but it slowly eroded some of my joy of the game following those rules. Not that I felt there was no need for a "simulation" point of reference, but that it seemed to force my opponents/myself into second-guessing successful tactics during the game and having to keep a mental track of "stat limits". IMO, this common implementation of these sim standards are unnecessary today (specifically for leagues).
I will say that I am in favor of a "gentleman's agreement to keep it sim", as it were, between players.I do agree though that it doesn't need to be super specific; I think the basic rules of good sportsmanship covers the majority of the important points. I would think that in a sim league the league rules themselves would probably address any other issues that might arise.

Last edited by MrWrestling3; 04-10-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:12 PM   #14
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

SOme of the best advice I have ever seen

When to Call Timeout in NBA2K - Coach2K https://www.coach2k.com/2014/06/when...-in-nba2k.html
Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #15
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
SOme of the best advice I have ever seen

When to Call Timeout in NBA2K - Coach2K https://www.coach2k.com/2014/06/when...-in-nba2k.html
One of the main reasons I always select manual for timeouts. What's funny, I remember hearing that a nba coach, I believe phil jackson didn't like callling timeouts after runs, he rather the guys on the floor play thru it.

I will say, depending on who im playing, I'll attempt to push thru the run or turnover for a big play, to kill it. Sometimes it works but majority of the time it backfires, lol.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #16
MVP

marshdaddy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallure24
One of the main reasons I always select manual for timeouts. What's funny, I remember hearing that a nba coach, I believe phil jackson didn't like callling timeouts after runs, he rather the guys on the floor play thru it.
Not saying Phil never said it, but Steve Kerr does this as well, might have even gotten it from his time playing for Phil. With the right players, it definitely is valuable.

On the flip side, Pop does this when a team scores 4-6 quick points. I believe in Andre Iguodala's book he talks about how frustrating it is because he stops the run before it even becomes a run.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »