Home

2K20: A Deeper Dive on Contests

This is a discussion on 2K20: A Deeper Dive on Contests within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm generally not a fan of tons of clutter on my screen, I appreciate the Movement and Immersion in NBA 2K so I like to turn most of the "videogame reminders" off. The shot meter is a necessary evil, so I deal with it. Watching replays of some of my games I was shocked when I saw the contest quality of some of the shots. Most of them were just fine, but do you know what stood out? Instances where the defender or I went for a block and missed but were rewarded with a high contest were like, really, really super-duper high:

So I did what I always do. I tested it against other people. Sure enough, using triangle to block a shot gave you ridiculously high contest percentages--even if you fell for a pump fake. But isn't that backwards? Should a missed block have a high contest rate at all? Shouldn't it have among the lowest? This is the NBA, offensive players offensive players are too good to be disrupted by bad timing....at the same time, it was concerning. A defensive mechanic that has no downside puts offensive players in the classic No-Win scenario. Serious Question: If missed blocks get tertiary rewards that exceed the quality of a good contest, why would anyone EVER contest?

Read the rest here: http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2019/09/2k...ests.html#more
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0

I pointed out the broken shot contest system during the demo before the game came out and was told that I was wrong or that it would be fixed by most people in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

Re: 2K20: A Deeper Dive on Contests

I actually thought that was a good contest in your sample video. Yea he didn't get the block but Simmons still towered over Jrue Holiday and made it hard to get the shot in. I think it's all contextual. A missed block attempt can still lead to a strong contest, but there are times when players go for a block attempt and get themselves out of position which should lead to a low contest. But that's not what I saw in the clip, gonna read through your link now
Old 09-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
I pointed out the broken shot contest system during the demo before the game came out and was told that I was wrong or that it would be fixed by most people in here.
I remember it well...its what made me pay attention. You'll notice i'm saying the same things here that I said then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdoggydogg
I actually thought that was a good contest in your sample video. Yea he didn't get the block but Simmons still towered over Jrue Holiday and made it hard to get the shot in. I think it's all contextual. A missed block attempt can still lead to a strong contest, but there are times when players go for a block attempt and get themselves out of position which should lead to a low contest. But that's not what I saw in the clip, gonna read through your link now
No that was me. I agree my timing was good but don't we want block and contest to have separate functions? in the piece I ask if Contest is necessary if missed blocks yield the highest value contests? Harris isn't a shot-blocker but he is 6'9". My whole take is that we want a better future where we can quickly contest shots, and where we can draw fouls on guys that try to block jump shots:

We don't have that right now--and we should. The current system rewards and encourages and rewards the block button. Right now there's almost no use for contest.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-13-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

A good example of a few R-Stick Layup contests (its important the defender animate alone) I mention in the piece:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

This 1% Contest was good but gameplay can't default to Neutral Outcomes when guys mistime blocks. It has to have a mixture of fouls to keep guys honest.

If Klay was a big Green's having to wait for Draymond to "clear" sets me up to be blocked. There has to be risk for missing blocks.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-15-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
Banned

The R Stick shot contesting works, but I am still finding out the logic behind it. Obviously distance matters (and I believe it needs to be a bit adjusted because you need to be nearly standing on the shooters toes for good contests), but maybe you can help verify this with me. I am finding that, when guarding a shooter, if you hold the R Stick and stick with your man, it is like it raises the contest rating the longer you hold while engaged defensively (like it is filling up an invisible meter). Remember, just holding the R Stick will automatically contest a shot when it is taken. I've been holding the stick until the ball handler moves, then let go of the stick to keep footing, and hold the R Stick again when I feel appropriate. It seems to give better contest results.

As for the shot contest by tapping R Stick up? I find it mostly worthless. Per usual, it is laggy to perform, and the animation is locked leaving you stationed until the animation ends.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvantu
I am finding that, when guarding a shooter, if you hold the R Stick and stick with your man, it is like it raises the contest rating the longer you hold while engaged defensively (like it is filling up an invisible meter). Remember, just holding the R Stick will automatically contest a shot when it is taken. I've been holding the stick until the ball handler moves, then let go of the stick to keep footing, and hold the R Stick again when I feel appropriate. It seems to give better contest results.

As for the shot contest by tapping R Stick up? I find it mostly worthless. Per usual, it is laggy to perform, and the animation is locked leaving you stationed until the animation ends.
Yes it does seems to make the contest rating improve. Tapping right stick isn't worthless. It just pales in comparison to the contest quality of pressing block......even if you miss.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »