Home

Pick and Roll has never worked properly in 2k

This is a discussion on Pick and Roll has never worked properly in 2k within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Pick and Roll has never worked properly in 2k

When I call for a pick manually, why is it that the person setting the pick rolls when the defender runs into him and not after I move. It manipulates the screener in a way that is counterproductive to the mechanic in general.

Then Mike Wang had the nerve to increase the sensitivity slider on Moving screens so now if the defender runs into the screener before he even sets the screen, a moving screen is called almost half the time.

Not sure who needs to read this post (da czar, Mike Wang) but if you want the user to run the pick and roll correctly, let's make sure the pick and roll logic works properly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Pick and Roll has never worked properly in 2k

There's a lot of different ways the pick and roll logic can be improved.

1) If the defense switches, it would be nice if the screener could attempt to seal and post up the smaller mismatched defender rather than just mindlessly run under the basket.
2) If the defense traps, it would be nice if the roller could cut his roll short and not roll into a rotating defender.
3) If the on ball defender beats the screen, maybe re-screen?
4) Get rid of the "black hole" effect when the ball handler is standing still and the screen comes and sucks in the defender (leading to way too many illegal screen calls)
Old 05-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

True, but it's run pretty accurately if though a play or series. There's plenty of quick-action PnR plays that you can use.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Rookie

BasketBalla21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngofny
1) If the defense switches, it would be nice if the screener could attempt to seal and post up the smaller mismatched defender rather than just mindlessly run under the basket.
I've seen the computer do this. If you wait they "should" rotate to a box and wait for the ball.

I want for them to just map pick and roll/pick and pop actions to the AI screener.

A screener isn't told to roll every time like 2k has it. You have to read the defense. Sometimes I just want my bigman to wait at the freethrow line for an easy pick and pop midrange shot but they never do. That makes every big with a good midrange, no three, and mediocre athleticism less effective.

I have David West in MyTeam, if I could tell him to pop for midrange jumpers my offense would be so much better. But the pick and pop forces him to go to the 3 point line :/
Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Just started!

Couldn't agree more. I've done mostly cpu streams and sims but the screens are never set properly and it just kills time off of the shot clock. It's awful to watch.

It seems to work ok whenever I play manually, although sometimes the screen man never rolls despite me telling him to do so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Rookie

mightyrx's Arena

OVR: 3

Can we go back to being able to set screens facing the direction we choose and not a random direction the game chooses us to face?
Making up Evidence Depending on Information Available
Old 05-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
MVP

One of the things I have noticed is that against the AI you have to run the PnR at a fairly slow pace; you quite literally have to take a small step or dribble move then wait until the animation where the defender is trying to fight through the pick by the pick before initiating the rest of the play.It also seems to work a little better if you lay off the turbo until this "hung up by the pick" animation plays as well.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:29 AM   #8
Rookie

steal spam almost kill every single pass...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »